Re: Bits cut from early episodes

  • Damien Mildury
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 31, 2005
      --- In thenewraccoons@yahoogroups.com, "TServo2049"
      <tservo2049@s...> wrote:

      > Hello,
      >
      > Apparently, at some point, little bits were cut from the early
      > episodes of "The Raccoons." For example, on the 1990s CBC airing
      > of "Surprise Attack" that I have, Cyril says "Note the masks, a
      sure
      > sign of a thief!" But on the old group, someone said that the
      Embassy
      > tape had "a sure isgn of a thief, robber, or possible filthy
      > agitator!"
      >
      > Does anybody know of any other extra scenes/lines/etc. that appear
      on
      > the Embassy series tapes, but which were cut out in later showings?
      >
      > Also, does anybody have a Disney Channel recording of Surprise
      > Attack? If so, could they check for that longer line? Also, when
      the
      > pigs are first spying at the lake, after they all fall on each
      other,
      > one of them apparently says "Did you hear that? He won't know what
      > hit him!" on the Embassy version...is that on the Disney version?
      (I
      > used to have a Disney recording, and I swear these lines were
      there,
      > but I can't remember.)
      >
      > Would like some help on this.
      >
      > -Jeffrey

      I have a copy of 'Surprise Attack' recorded from UK's BBC 1 in the
      early 90's as well as the Embassy release. They both contain the
      line, "a sure sign of a thief, robber, or possible filthy
      agitator!" That longer line spoken by one of the pigs near to the
      lake is also on the BBC 1 version and the Embassy tape.

      DM
    • meerkat936@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 1, 2005
        man back when disney was weird and cool and showed the oddest stuff.  HEY, does anyone remember the chucklewood critters; its very raccoon-esque.  Check it out, the fox is cute.

        Send Ralph my love!
      • The missing Mighty Orbot
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 2, 2005
          --- In thenewraccoons@yahoogroups.com, meerkat936@a... wrote:

          > man back when disney was weird and cool and showed the oddest
          stuff. HEY,
          > does anyone remember the chucklewood critters; its very raccoon-
          esque. Check
          > it out, the fox is cute.
          >
          > Send Ralph my love!

          The Chucklewood Critters, I do remember them. They were actually a
          series of TV specials. There was a TV series made of it (kind of like
          with the Raccoons starting out as specials and then having a TV
          series) but it's never been shown in the USA.
        • Damien Mildury
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 2, 2005
            Hi, I have uploaded a PDF version of Paul Schibli's book 'Monsters
            Don't Count' to the Files section. As a lot of you will know, Paul
            was largely responsible for the 'look' of The Raccoons characters
            (bent noses...etc..) I'm sure that a lot of you will see some
            similarities between the Raccoons characters and the characters in his
            book.

            Damien.
          • TServo2049
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 2, 2005
              --- In thenewraccoons@yahoogroups.com, "Damien Mildury"
              <damienmildury@b...> wrote:

              > I have a copy of 'Surprise Attack' recorded from UK's BBC 1 in the
              > early 90's as well as the Embassy release. They both contain the
              > line, "a sure sign of a thief, robber, or possible filthy
              > agitator!" That longer line spoken by one of the pigs near to the
              > lake is also on the BBC 1 version and the Embassy tape.

              Weird...I have no idea why little bits are missing from the last CBC
              airings of the early shows...:-/ The weirdest part is that episodes
              from "Double Play" onward were not edited at all...

              -Jeffrey
            • TServo2049
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 3, 2005
                Yes, this book does look very similar in design to The Raccoons; I can
                see Bert, the pigs, and Cyril Sneer in the monsters, Jenny looks like
                Julie and Tommy, and her father looks like Ranger Dan.

                This does make me wonder, however: what aspects of the Raccoons designs
                were John Bianchi's? In "The Christmas Raccoons," John Bianchi is co-
                credited as character designer, and he is credited for designing
                the "original characters" in the subsequent specials and early episodes.

                Seeing how most of the look seems to come from Schibli...what exactly
                was Bianchi's role?

                <damienmildury@b...> wrote:

                > Hi, I have uploaded a PDF version of Paul Schibli's book 'Monsters
                > Don't Count' to the Files section. As a lot of you will know, Paul
                > was largely responsible for the 'look' of The Raccoons characters
                > (bent noses...etc..) I'm sure that a lot of you will see some
                > similarities between the Raccoons characters and the characters in
                his
                > book.
                >
                > Damien.

              • drawah64
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 5, 2005
                  <tservo2049@s...> wrote:

                  > Yes, this book does look very similar in design to The Raccoons; I
                  can
                  > see Bert, the pigs, and Cyril Sneer in the monsters, Jenny looks
                  like
                  > Julie and Tommy, and her father looks like Ranger Dan.
                  >
                  > This does make me wonder, however: what aspects of the Raccoons
                  designs
                  > were John Bianchi's? In "The Christmas Raccoons," John Bianchi is
                  co-
                  > credited as character designer, and he is credited for designing
                  > the "original characters" in the subsequent specials and early
                  episodes.

                  > Seeing how most of the look seems to come from Schibli...what
                  exactly
                  > was Bianchi's role?

                  My best guess is that Bianchi made specific ideas about the
                  characters' appearance, rather than the overall style of the series.
                  As in, he could have come up with Bert's sweater, Ralph's scarf,
                  etc. And then Schibli actually drew and designed the characters, in
                  his style. This is just a guess, remember.
                  BTW, thanks alot for taking the time to find and upload that, Damien!
                • Damien Mildury
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 7, 2005
                    wrote:

                    > This does make me wonder, however: what aspects of the Raccoons
                    designs
                    > were John Bianchi's? In "The Christmas Raccoons," John Bianchi is co-
                    > credited as character designer, and he is credited for designing
                    > the "original characters" in the subsequent specials and early
                    episodes.

                    > Seeing how most of the look seems to come from Schibli...what
                    exactly
                    > was Bianchi's role?

                    Sorry it's taken so long to get some kind of answer to this. Here is
                    part of a recent e-mail I received from Gerry Paquette. It includes a
                    link to John Bianchi's site and some information which helps to answer
                    what his role in the show was -

                    (quote -)
                    Hello Damien!

                    Attached you'll find a little extra compensation in return. The images
                    come from a Flash version of Bert & Cyril that I created recently to
                    help students practice dialogue animation.

                    Although I don't know anything about the early demise of Nick Nichols,
                    I did manage to locate John Bianchi's website:

                    http://www.johnbianchi.com/

                    (Don't you just hate it when such things come up in so obvious a way?)

                    The answer to your question, which I found in his bio, reads as
                    follows:

                    "I was offered a job at a film studio, painting backgrounds for
                    animated films. "

                    Although John doesn't mention The Raccoons by name, he does credit the
                    show in the following way:

                    "This is where I learned how to make people laugh with funny pictures."

                    Thanks again,

                    Gerry

                    (-unquote)

                    I have uploaded the flash images to the photos section.

                    All the best,

                    Damien.
                  • TServo2049
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 8, 2005
                      Hi,

                      I actually found out more about Bianchi from Paul Schibli. It turns out
                      that Schibli did not come up with Bert's bent snout, etc....it was
                      Bianchi's work. Both Schibli and Gerald Tripp have told me that the
                      initial designs (by Bianchi, who is an illustrator, not an animator)
                      were not very suited to animation, and that they were gradually
                      modified over the years, just by the animators animating them, to
                      become more animation-friendly.

                      -Jeffrey