Re: The Raccoons Movie

  • morty_fan
    Message 1 of 30 , Jun 29, 2005
      Sophia was in one episode with Bentley, "Stop the Clock", where they
      first introduced him. Sophia was competing in that sporting event that
      Bert and Cyril (and later Bentley), competed in, but I don't think
      Sophia had any lines in that episode.
    • Dan
      Message 2 of 30 , Jul 1, 2005
        --- In thenewraccoons@yahoogroups.com, "Erin" <geatornez82@a...>
        wrote:

        > Not that I know of, but I'd like to see all the characters in this
        > myself, probably because (for some reason) Sophia is one of my
        > favorite characters.

        To be honest, I never thought much of Sophia until I saw the Raccoons
        and the Lost Star for the first time. After seeing her assume a
        leading role in a story line, I grew to like her. Her voice is the
        only thing I find perplexing; it actually sounds too gentle to
        accurately convey an outgoing and radiant personality like hers.
        Still, I wish she had appeared more often in the later years of the TV
        series. The writers could have come up with some interesting
        storylines had they made greater use of her character.
      • The missing Mighty Orbot
        Message 3 of 30 , Jul 1, 2005
          --- In thenewraccoons@yahoogroups.com, "Dan" <metrotransitfan@y...>
          wrote:
          > --- In thenewraccoons@yahoogroups.com, "Erin" <geatornez82@a...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Not that I know of, but I'd like to see all the characters in
          this
          > > myself, probably because (for some reason) Sophia is one of my
          > > favorite characters.
          >

          > To be honest, I never thought much of Sophia until I saw the
          Raccoons
          > and the Lost Star for the first time. After seeing her assume a
          > leading role in a story line, I grew to like her. Her voice is
          the
          > only thing I find perplexing; it actually sounds too gentle to
          > accurately convey an outgoing and radiant personality like hers.
          > Still, I wish she had appeared more often in the later years of
          the TV
          > series. The writers could have come up with some interesting
          > storylines had they made greater use of her character.

          Ah, another Sophia fan. Some fans hated Sophia for some reason. I
          did like Sophia myself because I think she made a good match for
          Cedric. That and I think she was cute. ;) I wonder had the series
          continued if we would have seen the two tie the knot. (I smell a
          fanfic!)

          Her appearances were quite sporadic in some later seasons and she
          did not appear period in the final season (1990-91). Keep in mind
          that this also could have due to the money troubles that Hinton
          Animation Studios was suffering at the time. Sophia was most likely
          dropped from the active cast because it would have cost money to
          write her part in the scripts and animate her.
        • Erin
          Message 4 of 30 , Jul 1, 2005
            --- In thenewraccoons@yahoogroups.com, "The missing Mighty Orbot"
            <thelastorbot@e...> wrote:
            > Ah, another Sophia fan. Some fans hated Sophia for some reason. I
            > did like Sophia myself because I think she made a good match for
            > Cedric. That and I think she was cute. ;) I wonder had the
            series
            > continued if we would have seen the two tie the knot. (I smell a
            > fanfic!)

            You sure do! December 31, 2004 I published the first chapter of this
            story on fanfiction.net, titled "Indecent Proposal" (I oughta write a
            prequel to this)

            http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2197864/1/

            I even wrote a sequel to this called "Grandpa Cyril." Here's the link
            to that one if anyone is curious

            http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2210989/1/

            Incidentally, if you're looking for Bently and Lisa in these stories,
            you're out of luck. I haven't seen them in quite some time, so I
            don't really know how to write them. I'd rather wait until the
            episodes with them in it are released on DVD before I put them in a
            fanfic. I don't want to get flamed for ruining their characters
            (although there are times in my later fanfic where Cedric is a little
            out of character).

            Anyway, if you should decide to go read my two fics here, I hope you
            enjoy!

            Erin
          • Dan
            Message 5 of 30 , Jul 2, 2005
              --- In thenewraccoons@yahoogroups.com, "morty_fan" <tsubway@h...>
              wrote:
              > Sophia was in one episode with Bentley, "Stop the Clock", where
              they
              > first introduced him. Sophia was competing in that sporting event
              > that Bert and Cyril (and later Bentley), competed in, but I don't
              > think Sophia had any lines in that episode.

              I haven't seen that episode, although I felt it really should have
              been included in the first DVD boxed set because it was part of that
              same season. It was during that time of the series that Sophia was
              making routine appearances, so it makes sense that she'd be in that
              episode, but it would have been good if she had some lines. Even a
              simple "Good Luck" to Bert and Bentley would have been nice to see.
            • Dan
              Message 6 of 30 , Jul 2, 2005
                <thelastorbot@e...> wrote:
                > Ah, another Sophia fan. Some fans hated Sophia for some reason.
                > I did like Sophia myself because I think she made a good match for
                > Cedric. That and I think she was cute. ;) I wonder had the
                > series continued if we would have seen the two tie the knot. (I
                > smell a fanfic!)
                > Her appearances were quite sporadic in some later seasons and she
                > did not appear period in the final season (1990-91). Keep in mind
                > that this also could have due to the money troubles that Hinton
                > Animation Studios was suffering at the time. Sophia was most
                > likely dropped from the active cast because it would have cost
                > money to write her part in the scripts and animate her.

                Sophia is cute, I agree. I guess some people were more fixated on
                her negative characteristics and overlooked the postive impacts she
                had on the show. One of my favourite scenes with her was
                in "Strictly by the Book" when she goes to see Cedric and ask him to
                be more like he was before he went away to school. It was a great
                scene for illustrating her concern for Cedric and revealing what she
                admires in him.

                There's one thing about Sophia I'd like a confirmation on, though.
                Someone once told me that he didn't think Sophia was an aardvark
                because she doesn't have a tail or ears like Cedric and Cyril. I
                always thought she was one (what else would she be?), but just so I
                can settle this debate, is Sophia, in fact, an aardvark?
              • drawah64
                Message 7 of 30 , Jul 3, 2005
                  wrote:
                  > Sophia is cute, I agree. I guess some people were more fixated on
                  > her negative characteristics and overlooked the postive impacts
                  she
                  > had on the show. One of my favourite scenes with her was
                  > in "Strictly by the Book" when she goes to see Cedric and ask him
                  > be more like he was before he went away to school. It was a great
                  > scene for illustrating her concern for Cedric and revealing what
                  she
                  > admires in him.
                  >
                  > There's one thing about Sophia I'd like a confirmation on,
                  though.
                  > Someone once told me that he didn't think Sophia was an aardvark
                  > because she doesn't have a tail or ears like Cedric and Cyril. I
                  > always thought she was one (what else would she be?), but just so
                  > can settle this debate, is Sophia, in fact, an aardvark?

                  I'm not 100% sure, but I think she is, because in the Lost Star,
                  Ralph was saying how Cyril Sneer sort of looked like her, referring
                  to the fact that they were both aardvarks (as seen in the Christmas
                  Raccoons, it seems that all aardvarks are furless and pink in the
                  Raccoons world). The reason her ears are unseen is, they are covered
                  by her hair. And her tail isn't seen because it is inside her
                  shorts, if she has one. Don't you think she'd look odd if she did
                  have big ears sticking out, though?

                  On a side note, I leave for vacation in 20 minutes! Woo!
                • Damien Mildury
                  Message 8 of 30 , Jul 3, 2005
                    wrote:
                    > There's one thing about Sophia I'd like a confirmation on,
                    though.
                    > Someone once told me that he didn't think Sophia was an aardvark
                    > because she doesn't have a tail or ears like Cedric and Cyril. I
                    > always thought she was one (what else would she be?), but just so
                    > can settle this debate, is Sophia, in fact, an aardvark?

                    Hi Dan,

                    I contacted animator Gerry Paquette on your behalf with your
                    question about Sophia. This is what he had to say -

                    "As for Sophia, yes, she is indeed an Aardvark and Cedric's love
                    interest in the beginning. She also happens to be the sexiest of the
                    characters, especially when performing on ice. Not sure why she got
                    dropped. Too shallow and insipid a character perhaps?"

                    - I hope this answers your question.

                    DM
                  • Erin
                    Message 9 of 30 , Jul 3, 2005
                      wrote:
                      > There's one thing about Sophia I'd like a confirmation on, though.
                      > Someone once told me that he didn't think Sophia was an aardvark
                      > because she doesn't have a tail or ears like Cedric and Cyril. I
                      > always thought she was one (what else would she be?), but just so I
                      > can settle this debate, is Sophia, in fact, an aardvark?

                      I once joked that the reason Cyril hates her is because she's an
                      anteater and not an aardvark!

                      But seriously, I think she is an aardvark, because of her nose shape.
                      As for the fact that she doesn't have ears or a tail like Cedric and ,
                      well, I have a theory about that. Sophia probably DOES have ears like
                      Cyril and Cedric, but you can't see them because her hair covers them.
                      And you can't see her tail because her clothes are covering it. In any
                      case, that's just a theory.
                    • The missing Mighty Orbot
                      Message 10 of 30 , Jul 4, 2005
                        --- In thenewraccoons@yahoogroups.com, "Damien Mildury"
                        <damienmildury@b...> wrote:
                        > --- In thenewraccoons@yahoogroups.com, "Dan"
                        <metrotransitfan@y...>
                        > wrote:
                        > > There's one thing about Sophia I'd like a confirmation on,
                        > though.
                        > > Someone once told me that he didn't think Sophia was an aardvark
                        > > because she doesn't have a tail or ears like Cedric and Cyril.
                        > > always thought she was one (what else would she be?), but just
                        so
                        > > can settle this debate, is Sophia, in fact, an aardvark?
                        >
                        > Hi Dan,
                        >
                        > I contacted animator Gerry Paquette on your behalf with your
                        > question about Sophia. This is what he had to say -
                        >
                        > "As for Sophia, yes, she is indeed an Aardvark and Cedric's love
                        > interest in the beginning. She also happens to be the sexiest of
                        the
                        > characters, especially when performing on ice. Not sure why she
                        got
                        > dropped. Too shallow and insipid a character perhaps?"
                        >

                        > - I hope this answers your question.
                        >
                        > DM

                        Well, that's one mystery solved.

                        Sophia probably got cut in the last season due to the money problems
                        at Hinton. That's my theory.
                      • Dan
                        Message 11 of 30 , Jul 5, 2005
                          <damienmildury@b...> wrote:
                          > Hi Dan,
                          >
                          > I contacted animator Gerry Paquette on your behalf with your
                          > question about Sophia. This is what he had to say -
                          >
                          > "As for Sophia, yes, she is indeed an Aardvark and Cedric's love
                          > interest in the beginning. She also happens to be the sexiest of
                          > the characters, especially when performing on ice. Not sure why
                          > she got dropped. Too shallow and insipid a character perhaps?"
                          >
                          > - I hope this answers your question.
                          >
                          > DM

                          It does indeed answer my question. Thanks for taking the time to
                          write and find out for me; I really appreciate it. I was fairly
                          sure all along that Sophia was an aardvark, but it's satisfying to
                          know that I have been on the right side of this debate I've been
                          having.

                          Too shallow and insipid? Maybe, but the writers could have fixed
                          that with a productive brainstorming session. They needed to
                          develop another side of her personality, or maybe a secret attribute
                          the viewers would not expect her to posesess. Unfortunately, they
                          didn't find it quickly enough.
                        • TServo2049
                          Message 12 of 30 , Jul 6, 2005
                            wrote:

                            > Too shallow and insipid? Maybe, but the writers could have fixed
                            > that with a productive brainstorming session. They needed to
                            > develop another side of her personality, or maybe a secret attribute
                            > the viewers would not expect her to posesess. Unfortunately, they
                            > didn't find it quickly enough.

                            Too bad they didn't; I can't stand hearing her say dumb lines
                            like "You're a beastly, horrible beast!"

                            (I was watching Lost Star yesterday, and I found my fair share of bad
                            lines.)

                            -Jeffrey ("I'll never be able to look at another chocolate again!")