Re: [thenewraccoons] The Lost Star = The Night Star?

  • Justin Teays
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2005
      Happy New Year everyone.

      I doubt the error is of any consequence. Getting a job in animation is all about the portfolio, and not necessarily about where you've worked before or what you've done in the past. This guy is obviously a veteran in the field.

      I can check on a source to see if "Night Star" was or was not a working title.

      Justin

      The missing Mighty Orbot <thelastorbot@...> wrote:

      In a previous post, I read on a website of a former Raccoons
      animator that he referred to the third Raccoons special "the
      Raccoons and the Lost Star" as "the Raccoons and the Night Star".

      The Night Star?  This has led me to one of two conclusions:
      1.  The Night Star was a working title.
      2.  He made a mistake.

      But if the second one is right, why would an animator like that make
      such a mistake?

      Anyone know?

      Do you Yahoo!?

    • Justin Teays
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 1, 2005
        happy new year everyone!

        When looking for work in animation, it's not about what you've done or where you've worked, it's really about the portfolio. I doubt the error would be of any consequence.

        Pat Conolly pointed out that the animation for "The Lost Star" was of higher quality then the Series. I believe this is generally true, of course the characters personalities hadn't yet been fully developed. The Atkinson animation for the specials had the density of clay; the movement of the characters was always big.

        Many professionals tell me that Nelvana is a bad place to work. Most animators don't stick around that place. Though the studio is just a few blocks from my house, my school discourages us from seeking employment there. "Commercial" animation has been Nelvana's buisness since the success of the Care Bears.

        Justin

        The missing Mighty Orbot <thelastorbot@...> wrote:

        In a previous post, I read on a website of a former Raccoons
        animator that he referred to the third Raccoons special "the
        Raccoons and the Lost Star" as "the Raccoons and the Night Star".

        The Night Star?  This has led me to one of two conclusions:
        1.  The Night Star was a working title.
        2.  He made a mistake.

        But if the second one is right, why would an animator like that make
        such a mistake?

        Anyone know?

        Do you Yahoo!?

      • Damien Mildury
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 1, 2005
          --- In thenewraccoons@yahoogroups.com, "The missing Mighty Orbot"
          <thelastorbot@e...> wrote:

          > In a previous post, I read on a website of a former Raccoons
          > animator that he referred to the third Raccoons special "the
          > Raccoons and the Lost Star" as "the Raccoons and the Night Star".
          >
          > The Night Star? This has led me to one of two conclusions:
          > 1. The Night Star was a working title.
          > 2. He made a mistake.
          >
          > But if the second one is right, why would an animator like that
          make
          > such a mistake?
          >
          > Anyone know?

          I contacted Gerry Paquette, who worked on The Raccoons during the
          1980's. This is what he had to say:-

          "The animator in this situation is indeed making a mistake.

          The Raccoons and the Lost Star is obviously inspired by Star Wars
          and the craze that followed. It was actually meant to be a full
          length feature but, do to lack of funding, it ended up being a 1
          hour special.

          Gerry."

          I hope this answers this little puzzle.
          DM
        • The missing Mighty Orbot
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 1, 2005
            --- In thenewraccoons@yahoogroups.com, Justin Teays
            <ethenandaris@y...> wrote:
            > happy new year everyone!
            >
            > When looking for work in animation, it's not about what you've
            done or where you've worked, it's really about the portfolio. I
            doubt the error would be of any consequence.

            > Pat Conolly pointed out that the animation for "The Lost Star" was
            of higher quality then the Series. I believe this is generally true,
            of course the characters personalities hadn't yet been fully
            developed. The Atkinson animation for the specials had the density
            of clay; the movement of the characters was always big.

            > Many professionals tell me that Nelvana is a bad place to work.
            Most animators don't stick around that place. Though the studio is
            just a few blocks from my house, my school discourages us from
            seeking employment there. "Commercial" animation has been Nelvana's
            buisness since the success of the Care Bears.

            > Justin

            DM and Justin, Happy New Year and thank you very much for clearing
            that up.

            That site BTW is very interesting. I thought it would be nice to
            post up and I plan to link to it in the links section. And don't
            knock the Care Bears. I'm a Care Bears fan. Though I do agree that
            Nelvana really didn't handle that property well as DIC and Atkinson
            did and most of Nelvana's material these days leaves something to be
            desired.