Re: If you haven't obtained your copy of Lulu Forever by all means do so...

    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 11, 2006
      Marc, you won't be disappointed when you read Barry's bio on
      Brooksie. It's a great read. I put it up there with David Stenn's
      bio on Clara Bow, and my friend Eve Golden's bio from ten years ago
      on the film's first sex symbol, Theda Bara.

      -Dario.

      --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, "spaneele59"
      <marcsten@...> wrote:

      > The reviews of the new book I have seen seem to be in line with
      what all of you are saying.
      > Basically, not a biographical work, that being left to the Paris
      book. This one is more of a
      > coffee table format picture book to commemorate the centennial
      more than anything else. I
      > will look for it, and probably end up getting it.
      > By the way, my copy of the Paris book arrived yesterday. HOLY
      MOLY! It will likely take me
      > years to get all through that. If you want a biography, you can't
      do much better than that!
      > Marc

      <no_reply@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > From what little I've about it, it's presentation is quite good,
      but,
      > > it didn't seem very original as far as talking about Brooksie's
      life
      > > and career, especially the chapter relating to her early life.
      But,
      > > the photos are quite good, especially the cover.
      > >
      > > -Dario.
      > >

      > > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, "eaon"
      > > <eaonwalkker@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > It's terrific. I work in a bookstore, so I got it right out of
      the
      > > book.
      > > >

      > > > Eaon here, by the way (Hi all!)
      > > >

      > > > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com,
      nutsaboutclara

      L.A.,
      > > info

      Wednesday

      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 11, 2006
        I did CLARA BOW-Runnin' Wild(1988), and Tony Curtis' MY AUTOBIOGRAPHY
        (1993)in a day and a half/two days. Both enjoyable to read.

        > "spaneele59" <marcsten@> wrote:
        > >
        > > The reviews of the new book I have seen seem to be in line
        > with what all of you are saying.
        > > Basically, not a biographical work, that being left to the Paris
        > book. This one is more of a
        > > coffee table format picture book to commemorate the
        > centennial more than anything else. I
        > > will look for it, and probably end up getting it.
        > > By the way, my copy of the Paris book arrived yesterday. HOLY
        > MOLY! It will likely take me
        > > years to get all through that. If you want a biography, you
        can't
        > do much better than that!
        > > Marc
        > >

        > The Paris book will probably go by a lot faster than you think,
        but
        > then I'm a fast reader when it's something I'm even mildly
        > interested in. Did John Grisham's "The Client" (or one of his
        > books about lawyering crap) in one sitting.

      • Marc Stenchever
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 11, 2006
          I started the Paris book over the weekend, and it is an easy, if rather lengthy read. Alas, a single dad, I can't dedicate the time to reading in solitude that I would like. I'm lucky to get an hour a night! This the year prediction for completion.
          Marc

          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 13, 2006
            I would rather a lengthy bio on a favorite star of mine than a short,
            truncated slap-dash job by a hack writer anytime, Marc. I'm glad
            you're enjoying Brooksie.

            -Dario.

            --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Marc Stenchever

          • SMILEYJEN1@JUNO.COM
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 13, 2006
              Hi, I'm new to the group!  *waves*

              I recently finished the Paris bio and it was one of the best books I've ever read, period.  What a fantastic job
              for a truly fantastic woman.

              Jennifer ^_^

              .

              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 15, 2006
                YOU BET IT IS, JEN!!! Barry Paris really did his homework with his
                tome on Brooksie. Wasn't it a fun read?

                -Dario.

                --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, SMILEYJEN1@...
                wrote:

                > Hi, I'm new to the group! *waves*
                >
                > I recently finished the Paris bio and it was one of the best books
                I've
                > ever read, period. What a fantastic job
                > for a truly fantastic woman.
                >
                > Jennifer ^_^
                >
                > On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 18:42:14 -0000 nutsaboutclara
                > <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> writes:
                > Recent Activity
                > 3New Members
                > 2New Photos
                > Visit Your Group
                > Louise brooks
                > Yahoo! TV
                > Staying in tonight?
                > Check Daily Picks &
                > see what to watch.
                > Yahoo! 360°
                > Start Today
                > Get your own
                > place online
                > Y! GeoCities
                > Share Your Passion
                > Join the web's lar- gest community..I would rather a lengthy bio on
                > favorite star of mine than a short,
                > truncated slap-dash job by a hack writer anytime, Marc. I'm glad
                > you're enjoying Brooksie.
                >
                > -Dario.

              • Marc Stenchever
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 15, 2006
                  It is indeed. As I am reading it, there are alot of things I have heard in documentaries and such, showing that others have lifted their material directly from the text of his book. Praise indeed!
                  Marc

                • SMILEYJEN1@JUNO.COM
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 15, 2006

                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 16, 2006
                      Well, I do the same thing on my Clara Bow group, Clara's Place,
                      Marc. I base my factoids on David Stenn's book on Clara, that he
                      published in the late '80s.