Re: If you haven't obtained your copy of Lulu Forever by all means do so...

  • eaon
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 8, 2006
      It's terrific. I work in a bookstore, so I got it right out of the book.

      Eaon here, by the way (Hi all!)

      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 9, 2006
        From what little I've about it, it's presentation is quite good, but,
        it didn't seem very original as far as talking about Brooksie's life
        and career, especially the chapter relating to her early life. But,
        the photos are quite good, especially the cover.

        -Dario.

        --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, "eaon"
        <eaonwalkker@...> wrote:

        > It's terrific. I work in a bookstore, so I got it right out of the
        book.

        > Eaon here, by the way (Hi all!)

        > > I've already seen that book at a actors' bookshop here in L.A.,
        > > Olive. It really didn't have anything new to offer, as far as
        info
        > > and pictures of her film was concerned. Great cover, though!
        > >
        > > -Dario.
        > >
        > > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, olive_e_thomas
        > > <no_reply@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > I treated myself to a day trip to New York City this Wednesday
        > > > and picked up a copy at the Barnes and Noble store in the
        > > > Citicorp Center (haven't been in that building in 20 years!).
        > > >
        > > > Lots of great pictures (and lots you probably haven't seen
        before)
        > > > and a some biographical text.
        > > >
        > > > Incedentally if you can get to the Citicorp Center any time
        this
        > > > December before Christmas they have a model train display in
        > > > the atrium that totally pegs out the awesometer. I spent an
        hour
        > > > or more just taking digicam pix and enjoying the layout.

      • spaneele59
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 9, 2006
          The reviews of the new book I have seen seem to be in line with what all of you are saying.
          Basically, not a biographical work, that being left to the Paris book. This one is more of a
          coffee table format picture book to commemorate the centennial more than anything else. I
          will look for it, and probably end up getting it.
          By the way, my copy of the Paris book arrived yesterday. HOLY MOLY! It will likely take me
          years to get all through that. If you want a biography, you can't do much better than that!
          Marc

          --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, nutsaboutclara <no_reply@...>

          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 9, 2006
            "spaneele59" <marcsten@...> wrote:

            > The reviews of the new book I have seen seem to be in line
            with what all of you are saying.
            > Basically, not a biographical work, that being left to the Paris
            book. This one is more of a
            > coffee table format picture book to commemorate the
            centennial more than anything else. I
            > will look for it, and probably end up getting it.
            > By the way, my copy of the Paris book arrived yesterday. HOLY
            MOLY! It will likely take me
            > years to get all through that. If you want a biography, you can't
            do much better than that!
            > Marc

            The Paris book will probably go by a lot faster than you think, but
            then I'm a fast reader when it's something I'm even mildly
            interested in. Did John Grisham's "The Client" (or one of his
            books about lawyering crap) in one sitting.
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 11, 2006
              Marc, you won't be disappointed when you read Barry's bio on
              Brooksie. It's a great read. I put it up there with David Stenn's
              bio on Clara Bow, and my friend Eve Golden's bio from ten years ago
              on the film's first sex symbol, Theda Bara.

              -Dario.

              --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, "spaneele59"

              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 11, 2006
                I did CLARA BOW-Runnin' Wild(1988), and Tony Curtis' MY AUTOBIOGRAPHY
                (1993)in a day and a half/two days. Both enjoyable to read.

                > "spaneele59" <marcsten@> wrote:
                > >
                > > The reviews of the new book I have seen seem to be in line
                > with what all of you are saying.
                > > Basically, not a biographical work, that being left to the Paris
                > book. This one is more of a
                > > coffee table format picture book to commemorate the
                > centennial more than anything else. I
                > > will look for it, and probably end up getting it.
                > > By the way, my copy of the Paris book arrived yesterday. HOLY
                > MOLY! It will likely take me
                > > years to get all through that. If you want a biography, you
                can't
                > do much better than that!
                > > Marc
                > >

                > The Paris book will probably go by a lot faster than you think,
                but
                > then I'm a fast reader when it's something I'm even mildly
                > interested in. Did John Grisham's "The Client" (or one of his
                > books about lawyering crap) in one sitting.

              • Marc Stenchever
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 11, 2006
                  I started the Paris book over the weekend, and it is an easy, if rather lengthy read. Alas, a single dad, I can't dedicate the time to reading in solitude that I would like. I'm lucky to get an hour a night! This the year prediction for completion.
                  Marc

                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 13, 2006
                    I would rather a lengthy bio on a favorite star of mine than a short,
                    truncated slap-dash job by a hack writer anytime, Marc. I'm glad
                    you're enjoying Brooksie.

                    -Dario.

                    --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Marc Stenchever

                  • SMILEYJEN1@JUNO.COM
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 13, 2006
                      Hi, I'm new to the group!  *waves*

                      I recently finished the Paris bio and it was one of the best books I've ever read, period.  What a fantastic job
                      for a truly fantastic woman.

                      Jennifer ^_^

                      .

                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 15, 2006
                        YOU BET IT IS, JEN!!! Barry Paris really did his homework with his
                        tome on Brooksie. Wasn't it a fun read?

                        -Dario.

                        --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, SMILEYJEN1@...
                        wrote:

                        > Hi, I'm new to the group! *waves*
                        >
                        > I recently finished the Paris bio and it was one of the best books
                        I've
                        > ever read, period. What a fantastic job
                        > for a truly fantastic woman.
                        >
                        > Jennifer ^_^
                        >
                        > On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 18:42:14 -0000 nutsaboutclara
                        > <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> writes:
                        > Recent Activity
                        > 3New Members
                        > 2New Photos
                        > Visit Your Group
                        > Louise brooks
                        > Yahoo! TV
                        > Staying in tonight?
                        > Check Daily Picks &
                        > see what to watch.
                        > Yahoo! 360°
                        > Start Today
                        > Get your own
                        > place online
                        > Y! GeoCities
                        > Share Your Passion
                        > Join the web's lar- gest community..I would rather a lengthy bio on
                        > favorite star of mine than a short,
                        > truncated slap-dash job by a hack writer anytime, Marc. I'm glad
                        > you're enjoying Brooksie.
                        >
                        > -Dario.

                      • Marc Stenchever
                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 15, 2006
                          It is indeed. As I am reading it, there are alot of things I have heard in documentaries and such, showing that others have lifted their material directly from the text of his book. Praise indeed!
                          Marc

                        • SMILEYJEN1@JUNO.COM
                          Message 12 of 15 , Dec 15, 2006

                            Message 13 of 15 , Dec 16, 2006
                              Well, I do the same thing on my Clara Bow group, Clara's Place,
                              Marc. I base my factoids on David Stenn's book on Clara, that he
                              published in the late '80s.