Re: If anyone has a LaserDisc player...

  • Das Dampfschiff Imperator
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 3, 2006
      It's a lot better than the needle-on-record technology that was RCA's
      SelectaVision CED capacitance electronic disc format - not to mention
      JVC's even less successful grooveless Video High Density disc format.

      Picture quality on LaserDisc is still better than DVD and since
      LaserDisc was an analogue format (the video was analogue but in later
      years the audio was digital on some pressings) you don't have the
      compression artifacts present in some DVD recordings.

      The Criterion company used to put out fantastic LaserDiscs selecting
      the best condition film prints and taking great care to lay them to
      disc. Indeed it could be said that LaserDisc was the serious movie
      lover's format.

      It's sad that LaserDisc has been eclipsed by DVD.

      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 4, 2006
        How can say that? DVD's have far better picture than anything out
        there. Besides, when laser discs first came out, people and movie
        critics complained that laser discs had many visual problems that
        needed to be overcome. But the companies that put out that garbage
        didn't do so.

        -Dario.

        --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, "Das Dampfschiff

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 8, 2006
          OH BROTHER!!!!! There I go again! I forgot to place "you" in
          between "can" and "say". My typing skills, I tell you.