Re: If anyone has a LaserDisc player...

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 3, 2006
      Oh brother! Laser discs. What a joke technology that was!

      > Here's a nice delicious Louise Brooks movie to feed to it...
      >
      > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=9109560112
      >
      > Only $21 BIN but you need a Paypal account cuz they want their $$$
      right
      > then and there...
      >
      > For those who don't know, LaserDisc is an analog video format that
      was the
      > precursor to DVD. Discs were the size of record albums (those
      round black
      > things you needed a special player for) and a lot of them had to
      be flipped
      > over to play the second half of the movie.

    • Das Dampfschiff Imperator
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 3, 2006
        It's a lot better than the needle-on-record technology that was RCA's
        SelectaVision CED capacitance electronic disc format - not to mention
        JVC's even less successful grooveless Video High Density disc format.

        Picture quality on LaserDisc is still better than DVD and since
        LaserDisc was an analogue format (the video was analogue but in later
        years the audio was digital on some pressings) you don't have the
        compression artifacts present in some DVD recordings.

        The Criterion company used to put out fantastic LaserDiscs selecting
        the best condition film prints and taking great care to lay them to
        disc. Indeed it could be said that LaserDisc was the serious movie
        lover's format.

        It's sad that LaserDisc has been eclipsed by DVD.

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 4, 2006
          How can say that? DVD's have far better picture than anything out
          there. Besides, when laser discs first came out, people and movie
          critics complained that laser discs had many visual problems that
          needed to be overcome. But the companies that put out that garbage
          didn't do so.

          -Dario.

          --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, "Das Dampfschiff

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 8, 2006
            OH BROTHER!!!!! There I go again! I forgot to place "you" in
            between "can" and "say". My typing skills, I tell you.