If anyone has a LaserDisc player...

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2006
      Here's a nice delicious Louise Brooks movie to feed to it...

      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=9109560112

      Only $21 BIN but you need a Paypal account cuz they want their $$$ right
      then and there...

      For those who don't know, LaserDisc is an analog video format that was the
      precursor to DVD. Discs were the size of record albums (those round black
      things you needed a special player for) and a lot of them had to be flipped
      over to play the second half of the movie.
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 3, 2006
        Oh brother! Laser discs. What a joke technology that was!

        > Here's a nice delicious Louise Brooks movie to feed to it...
        >
        > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=9109560112
        >
        > Only $21 BIN but you need a Paypal account cuz they want their $$$
        right
        > then and there...
        >
        > For those who don't know, LaserDisc is an analog video format that
        was the
        > precursor to DVD. Discs were the size of record albums (those
        round black
        > things you needed a special player for) and a lot of them had to
        be flipped
        > over to play the second half of the movie.

      • Das Dampfschiff Imperator
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 3, 2006
          It's a lot better than the needle-on-record technology that was RCA's
          SelectaVision CED capacitance electronic disc format - not to mention
          JVC's even less successful grooveless Video High Density disc format.

          Picture quality on LaserDisc is still better than DVD and since
          LaserDisc was an analogue format (the video was analogue but in later
          years the audio was digital on some pressings) you don't have the
          compression artifacts present in some DVD recordings.

          The Criterion company used to put out fantastic LaserDiscs selecting
          the best condition film prints and taking great care to lay them to
          disc. Indeed it could be said that LaserDisc was the serious movie
          lover's format.

          It's sad that LaserDisc has been eclipsed by DVD.

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 4, 2006
            How can say that? DVD's have far better picture than anything out
            there. Besides, when laser discs first came out, people and movie
            critics complained that laser discs had many visual problems that
            needed to be overcome. But the companies that put out that garbage
            didn't do so.

            -Dario.

            --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, "Das Dampfschiff

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 8, 2006
              OH BROTHER!!!!! There I go again! I forgot to place "you" in
              between "can" and "say". My typing skills, I tell you.