Some Brooks-centennial celebrations - from the Louise Brooks Society

    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 6, 2006
      Louise Brooks centenary

      This year marks the Louise Brooks centenary. The dancer and
      actress was born on November 14, 1906 in Cherryvale, Kansas.
      The anniversary of Brooks' birth will be celebrated by the release
      of a new DVD and a new book, a museum exhibit, screenings,
      and other events held across the United States and Europe.

      February 7, 2006: Kino will release Prix de BeautŽ (1930) on
      DVD. This marks the French film's first commercial release on
      disc in the United States.

      February 11, 2006: "Silent Star: Louise Brooks in Photographs"
      will be shown at the Karpeles Manuscript Museum in Buffalo,
      New York.

      Spring 2006: The Rochester Historical Society will screen a
      Brooks' film in Rochester, New York. Local film critic Jack Garner
      will give introductory remarks.

      May, 2006: A celebration of Brooks' 100th birthday, sponsored by
      the Cherryvale Chamber of Commerce, will take place in
      Cherryvale, Kansas.

      Spring 2006: Screening of a newly restored version of Pandora's
      Box in New York City.

      August 2006: "New Histories of Photography 11: Louise Brooks
      and the New Woman in Weimar Cinema" opens at the George
      Eastman House in Rochester, New York.

      August 2006: The Louise Brooks Society celebrates 11 years
      online. Special biographical content will be added to the site to
      mark the occassion.

      October 3 - 8, 2006: SEDICICORTO International Film Festival
      Forl" in Italy takes place. A special category this year includes
      films relating to Louise Brooks.

      October 10, 2006: Rizzoli will publish Peter Cowie's new pictorial
      on the actress, Louise Brooks: Lulu Forever.

      November 2006: An event to celebrate the publication of Peter
      Cowie's new book will take place in San Francisco.

      November 14, 2006: Louise Brooks was born 100 years ago on
      this day in Cherryvale, Kansas. Happy Birthday!

      December 8, 2006: "New Histories of Photography 11: Louise
      Brooks and the New Woman in Weimar Cinema" opens at the
      International Center of Photography in New York City. The exhibit
      runs through February 25, 2007.

      Rumours have it that even more happenings, not listed here, are
      in the works!
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 6, 2006
        I've got to order a copy of PRIX DE BEAUTE(1930)soon. The ending of
        the film is definitely worth the admission price.

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 6, 2006
          nutsaboutclara <no_reply@...> wrote:

          > I've got to order a copy of PRIX DE BEAUTE(1930)soon. The
          ending of
          > the film is definitely worth the admission price.
          >
          > -Dario.

          The French do love their irony...
        • Das Dampfschiff Imperator
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 6, 2006

            > I've got to order a copy of PRIX DE BEAUTE(1930)soon. The ending of
            > the film is definitely worth the admission price.
            >
            > -Dario.

            Pre-order it on Amazon here...

            http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000E0OBL0/louisebrookss-20/103-4812749-3415801
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 7, 2006
              It sure seems that way.

              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 7, 2006
                Thanks, but no thanks. I usually use either DVD Planet or Movies
                Unlimited as my DVD sources.

                -Dario.

                --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, "Das Dampfschiff
                Imperator" <dasimperator@...> wrote:

                > > I've got to order a copy of PRIX DE BEAUTE(1930)soon. The
                ending of
                > > the film is definitely worth the admission price.
                > >
                > > -Dario.
                > >

                > Pre-order it on Amazon here...
                >
                > http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000E0OBL0/louisebrookss-
                20/103-4812749-3415801

              • Das Dampfschiff Imperator
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 7, 2006
                  Well I'll probably look for my copy on eBay...