Happy 99th Birthday Louise...

    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 13, 2005
      Today (Monday the 14th) is the 99th anniversary of the birth of
      Mary Louise Brooks in Cherryvale, Kansas 1906. And the world
      has never been quite the same since...
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 14, 2005
        Happy Birthday, Brooksie! You were certainly unique amongst
        actresses, dear!

        > Today (Monday the 14th) is the 99th anniversary of the birth of
        > Mary Louise Brooks in Cherryvale, Kansas 1906. And the world
        > has never been quite the same since...

      • Mark Sweeney
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 14, 2005
          Happy Birthday Brooksie! The closest thing I have to a role-model...
          Is there anything special being planned for the Centenary next year?

          olive_e_thomas <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
          Today (Monday the 14th) is the 99th anniversary of the birth of
          Mary Louise Brooks in Cherryvale, Kansas 1906. And the world
          has never been quite the same since...

        • Das Dampfschiff Imperator
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 14, 2005
            I believe the town of Cherryvale KS is looking into doing something
            for the centennial year.

            --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Mark Sweeney
            <illegible_bachelor_boy@y...> wrote:

            > Happy Birthday Brooksie! The closest thing I have to a role-model...
            > Is there anything special being planned for the Centenary next year?

          • elysse
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 14, 2005

              olive_e_thomas <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
              Today (Monday the 14th) is the 99th anniversary of the birth of
              Mary Louise Brooks in Cherryvale, Kansas 1906. And the world
              has never been quite the same since...

              i'll second that sentiment!

              and now that i've stopped lurking, i may as well introduce myself:

              this all started (for me) with a self-done haircut, a dutch bob (poorly done, since rectified at the nearest haircutter). a friend suggested to me that i had the "Louise Brooks mojo", and while i had heard of her (and seen pictures), and have been a silent film buff for years, i realized that i had never seen a film of hers! once i get a taste of knowledge i want to learn all about it, and she has been no different in that respect for me.

              what has been different is the eerie similarity we share by way of background history. the more i delve into her life story the more i see reflections of my own. i wouldn't go so far as to suggest that every moment she had is a moment i've lived (i'm far from a movie star, and have never set foot in Kansas... and certainly my experiences with technology are a little different), but to read her written word is like hearing myself think. we both have the same outlook on life, we were raised in a similar fashion, we both have fertility issues. fortunately we do not share the same birthday (mine is the 24th of november) otherwise i would probably have fainted by now.

              my name is elysse. i'm a model, a painter, and thanks to the miracle of modern medicines a mother of twin girls.

              here is a picture of me:

              and as for Kansas not marking Brooksie's home, well..... i imagine that governmental people who know of her in that state do not see her as a child of God, as is the way legislation seems to go there these days.
              we, of course, know better.

              e.

              --
              "The people who weep before my paintings are having the same religious experience I had when I painted them."

              -Mark Rothko

            • elysse
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 14, 2005
                me again.

                i sent the wrong picture for my dramatic entrance. this is the one i
                meant to send:

                http://elysse.net/blog/gallery/displayimage.php?album=24&pos=10

                yours in idiocy,
                e.

                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 15, 2005
                  I hope the city of Cherryvale plans something nice for Brooksie!

                  -Dario.

                  --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Mark Sweeney
                  <illegible_bachelor_boy@y...> wrote:

                  > Happy Birthday Brooksie! The closest thing I have to a role-
                  model...
                  > Is there anything special being planned for the Centenary next
                  year?

                  > olive_e_thomas <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                  > Today (Monday the 14th) is the 99th anniversary of the birth of
                  > Mary Louise Brooks in Cherryvale, Kansas 1906. And the world
                  > has never been quite the same since...

                  > Coven Actors and actresses Kool-aid

                  Service.