At least Louise's home in Rochester appears to still be around...

  • Das Dampfschiff Imperator
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 10, 2005
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 12, 2005
        Hmm......Rochester, NY doesn't strike me as being a very attractive
        place, from what that picture shows.

        -Dario.

        --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, "Das Dampfschiff
        Imperator" <dasimperator@a...> wrote:

        > At least Louise's home in Rochester appears to still be around...
        >
        > http://maps.google.com/maps?
        q=7+north+goodman+street+rochester+new+york&ll=43.153853,-
        77.588207&spn=0.002744,0.007237&t=k&hl=en

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 12, 2005
          Actually Rochester is a pretty nice city from the times I've passed
          through there - which was last back in 1989. Since Kodak and
          Xerox were the big industies there it got a lot of PHD types and
          not too many of the heave 'smokestack' industries that blight
          other places.

          One of the boasts of Rochester is that it still has their 'mansion
          avenue' - that street that used to be in every city where
          millionaires in the boom period from 1870 to 1900 built their
          homes. Most places saw their 'mansion avenues' developed
          over as the downtown expanded. They'd usually end up getting
          torn down for apartments, shops or factories - or remodeled into
          the same.

          If they survived into the 1960s some 'urban renewal' housing
          project would wipe out the remainders. Cities like Milwaukee
          Chicago and Detroit suffered through that in spades.

          A lot of old mansion districts survive in other communities as
          that street of doctors offices you see in just about every town.

          Of course now that digital cameras have pretty much supplanted
          film the area is suffering a lot which is a shame given how
          Kodak did so much of the early development of digital camera
          technology.

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 15, 2005

            Hmm.....interesting.

            -Dario.