Re: [The New Coven of Louise Brooks] Re: New files

  • Doug Berger
    Message 1 of 93 , Sep 27, 2005
      On 09/26/2005 10:17:04 AM -0400, olive_e_thomas wrote:
      > My guess is that the TCM documentary on Brooksie a few years
      > back pretty much killed off any other project plans for a Louise
      > Brooks film.

      Last I heard (this past winter?) that actress Neve Campbell optioned a
      screenplay about Lousie's life. It can take more than a year or never
      before an option turns into a real film. That also doesn't mean one
      isn't in the works elsewhere.

      I remember that actress Dana Delany (member of LBS BTW) had wanted to do
      a film and she is in the TCM doc but she might be past her prime to
      actually play Lousie.

      I think Natalie Portman would be a good Lousie and maybe Neve.

      > I hope they run it sometime soon seeing it's gonna be
      > Brooksie's 100th birthday next year and all that...
      >
      > That and I never got to see it the first time around - our cable
      > company didn't carry TCM yet.

      Have you tried to buy a copy? I looked on Amazon and copies are going
      for $100 to $200 in the marketplace. I got my VHS copy just after was
      released by TCM.

      > Now if only TCM would run that new Olive Thomas documentary
      > out. I have it on DVD but it would be nice for her to get the
      > exposure being on TCM would offer...

      I actually hadn't heard of her before reading the posts on this list and
      then I read some of the biography stuff on the net and she is really
      interesting - classic Hollywood story - rocket to stardom and early
      ending. I am really thinking about getting her doc.

      BTW, long time lurker could be first time poster - member of LBS.
      Lousie's TCM doc got me interested in her.

      For a long time I have admired the silent cinema. Love the silents they
      show on TCM.

      I really got interested in Silents when I took a class on Fascism in
      German film during the Weimar Republic in college and we started by
      watching the great Fritz Lang's Metropolis and Die Nibelungen: Siegfried.

      While not silent, seeing Der Blaue Engel in the original German is
      electric and Lang's "M" blew me away.

      --
      Doug Berger

      http://cadfile.dougberger.net/

      Go ahead pet the dog; it's the kids that bite and scratch
    • thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com
      Message 93 of 93 , Mar 11
        Hello,

        a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the thenewcovenoflouisebrooks
        group.

        File : /autographic_lulu.jpg
        Uploaded by : das_imperator <dasimperator@...>
        Description : Louise Brooks signs an autograph - a very rare thing...

        You can access this file at the URL:

        Regards,

        das_imperator <dasimperator@...>