Richmond.com article on Lulupalooza

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 21 10:29 PM
      Mute Beaut
      Silent film actress Louise Brooks will be remembered this weekend at
      Lulupalooza

      Mike Ward
      Thursday July 21, 2005

      She's was only in 24 moviesÖsilent movies. Her most famous film was
      German filmed in 1929.

      We could give you the titles of all her movies, her hometown,
      astrological symbol and favorite color, and you still might not guess
      her name correctly.

      But flash her picture one time and you'll likely recognize Louise
      Brooks. As a '20s trendsetter, she was among the first to sport bobbed
      hair. And paired with a sensual smirk and fiery sass, it was a look
      and attitude that wasn't fully appreciated until years later.
      "Her style, which was a lack of style really, wouldn't really come
      into vogue for many decades," said Harry Kollatz Jr., one of the
      organizers of Lulupalooza. The first-time, one-time event celebrating
      the films and life of Brooks is taking place in Richmond this weekend
      through a collaboration of the Firehouse Theatre Project, Yellow House
      and Louise Brooks Society.

      The festival includes the showing of nine of Brooks' flicks, including
      the lauded "Pandora's Box," which will play Saturday at 1:30 p.m. at
      the Byrd Theater. In addition to films, there will be other eclectic
      events, such as a staged reading of the Janet Munsil play "Smoking
      with Lulu," which will be held Saturday at 7 p.m. at the Firehouse
      Theatre and will be followed by a Q&A session with the cast and crew.
      True to its title, the play features smoke ñ lots of it ñ so check
      your lungs at the door.

      Kollatz said he was first struck by Brooks while thumbing through an
      old book on classic film at the Chesterfield County Public Library,
      when he came eye to eye with a famous shot of the actress holding up
      pearls.

      "It just burned itself on my consciousness," Kollatz said. "There was
      just something about her that I found compelling." When he rented the
      German flick "Pandora's Box," the tale of a dancer and prostitute
      named Lulu (hence Lulupalooza), he was further enamored. "I was
      totally captivated," Kollatz gushed.

      Besides carousing with some very famous men - namely Charlie Chaplin -
      Brooks lived a very un-Hollywood-like life, parlaying a career as a
      dancer in the Ziegfield Follies into acting. The Kansas native was
      only 32 when she left the scene, and soon afterward was working as a
      salesgirl at Saks Fifth Avenue for just $40 a week. She was smart and
      sexy, a combination that led to an assortment of memorable quips, such
      as this one: "Most beautiful dumb girls think they are smart and get
      away with it, because other people, on the whole, aren't much
      smarter." Brooks died of a heart attack in 1985 at the age of 78.

      Kollatz, who hopes to draw both film buffs and fans of Brooks, said he
      knows of guests coming from as far as Maryland, New York, the
      Carolinas, Kansas and even Australia. As a performer, Brooks visited
      Washington, D.C. and even Lynchburg, but probably not Richmond. "As
      far as I know, Louise never came here." Kollatz said. "She was
      probably on a train asleep going through Richmond, but she'll be here
      now, at least in spirit."

      * Lulupalooza is being held July 23 ñ 24 with events at the Firehouse
      Theatre and Byrd Theatre. Admission to the entire festival is $37.50.
      A one-day pass is $17.50, and you can also pay for individual events.
      Call (804) 355-2001 for more information.

      A service of Richmond.com

      http://www.richmond.com/ae/output.aspx?Article_ID=3783143

      All material copyright © 1999 - 2003 Richmond.com and Partners.
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 22 10:50 AM
        Hmm....that's a nice write up on Brooksie. But had she been still
        alive in 2005, she would have poo-pooed it as hog wash.