Re: That ’20s Girl - Lulupalooza celebrates the work of a screen goddess.

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 21, 2005
      That's funny-"hardly remembers." 90 to 95% of today's film
      audiences have no idea who she is. But, then again, that same
      percentage of movie goers have never seen a silent film, let alone
      know that that stuff even exists. Boy, is America doomed with
      people like that!

      > That '20s Girl
      > Lulupalooza celebrates the work of a screen goddess.
      > by Wayne Melton
      > July 20, 2005
      >
      > She may be the most iconic figure that hardly anyone remembers.
      Louise
      > Brooks' image is still regularly imitated in the movies,
      from "Singin'
      > in the Rain" to "Chicago." You can find Uma Thurman donning her
      black
      > bob hairdo in "Pulp Fiction," and even the Camel Girls giving out
      free
      > cigarettes at bars a few years ago were (likely unwittingly) aping
      > Louise Brooks. People know the image. It's much harder to find
      someone
      > who knows the name.
      >
      > Though her movie career lasted only 13 years, it included 24 films,
      > many of which will be shown during Lulupalooza, a weekend-long
      > festival of the silent-screen goddess presented by Yellow House
      > Productions and the Firehouse Theatre with the assistance of the
      > Louise Brooks Society. Lulupalooza is named after Lulu, the
      seductress
      > Brooks plays in her 1929 silent film "Pandora's Box." Directed by
      the
      > German filmmaker G.W. Pabst, it is her most famous film (many say
      her
      > best) and the only one to be shown in a 35-mm print at the
      festival.
      > The festival centerpiece, it will be presented with live musical
      > accompaniment by the Richmond band Los10Space. The rest will be
      > projected in DVD format.
      >
      > "She's an enduring icon of fashion and style and film," replies
      > Firehouse co-founder and board president Harry Kollatz, when asked
      > about the reason for a Brooks festival. "Richmond is an odd place
      > have it because Louise Brooks never even visited here," Kollatz
      says.
      > The closest she ever came, as far as he can tell, is Lynchburg,
      with
      > the Denishawn Dancers. "More people know her through her style,"
      > Kollatz continues, "through her pictures. They are silent films,
      and
      > not many people watch them."
      >
      > Yellow House president Stephanie Kelley, who will play Brooks in a
      > reading during the festival, had a typical reaction when Kollatz
      > approached her. "I knew the image of Louise Brooks," she recalls,
      > "that vision of a woman. Harry brought the images and information
      in.
      > I had no idea that was Louise Brooks."
      >
      > Brooks is the emblematic '20s flapper girl, who toured with Martha
      > Graham in the Denishawn Dancers, ran with Britain's fashionable
      set of
      > Bright Young Things (wet blankets, she thought), returned to the
      > states to make it on Broadway and began her movie career in
      Hollywood.
      > In her heyday she also toured with Will Rogers and W.C. Fields in
      the
      > Ziegfeld Follies, ghost-wrote a theater review for the Times critic
      > Herman Mankiewicz (himself too drunk) and had affairs with scores
      of
      > rich and famous men, including Charlie Chaplin.
      >
      > Though her screen career died with the advent of sound, right when
      she
      > was reaching the heights of artistic success, Brooks lived on long
      > after, doing off-Broadway, working as a salesgirl at Saks in New
      York,
      > living with rich men and writing articles for obscure film
      magazines
      > until she died in 1985 at age 79. During this period she was
      > approached by the theater critic Kenneth Tynan for a legendary
      profile
      > eventually published in The New Yorker titled "The Girl in the
      Black
      > Helmet," a reference to her signature bob. This relationship was
      later
      > dramatized in the play "Smoking With Lulu," by Janet Munsil, to be
      > read during the festival, with Kelley as the young Brooks and
      > Elizabeth Cusack as Brooks in her later years. Mark Adams will
      play Tynan.

      > "Smoking With Lulu," is not done very often. It can be an
      irritating
      > play, with smoking on stage. "Consistent smoking," Kollatz notes,
      > "which turns people off." The festival, thrown together over two
      days
      > in the heat of July, is risky like its subject, Kollatz
      acknowledges.
      > But it befits her character, he says. And as the festival will
      show,
      > even when the surrounding material is imperfect, Brooks' presence
      > alone is worth doing the Charleston over. S
      >
      > Lulupalooza takes place Saturday and Sunday, July 23-24. Tickets
      are
      > available for the entire weekend ($37.50) and for individual
      events.
      > "Pandora's Box" will be shown Saturday, 1:30 p.m., at the Byrd
      Theatre
      www.lulupalooza.org.