That ’20s Girl - Lulupalooza celebrates the work of a screen goddess.

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 20, 2005
      That '20s Girl
      Lulupalooza celebrates the work of a screen goddess.
      by Wayne Melton
      July 20, 2005

      She may be the most iconic figure that hardly anyone remembers. Louise
      Brooks' image is still regularly imitated in the movies, from "Singin'
      in the Rain" to "Chicago." You can find Uma Thurman donning her black
      bob hairdo in "Pulp Fiction," and even the Camel Girls giving out free
      cigarettes at bars a few years ago were (likely unwittingly) aping
      Louise Brooks. People know the image. It's much harder to find someone
      who knows the name.

      Though her movie career lasted only 13 years, it included 24 films,
      many of which will be shown during Lulupalooza, a weekend-long
      festival of the silent-screen goddess presented by Yellow House
      Productions and the Firehouse Theatre with the assistance of the
      Louise Brooks Society. Lulupalooza is named after Lulu, the seductress
      Brooks plays in her 1929 silent film "Pandora's Box." Directed by the
      German filmmaker G.W. Pabst, it is her most famous film (many say her
      best) and the only one to be shown in a 35-mm print at the festival.
      The festival centerpiece, it will be presented with live musical
      accompaniment by the Richmond band Los10Space. The rest will be
      projected in DVD format.

      "She's an enduring icon of fashion and style and film," replies
      Firehouse co-founder and board president Harry Kollatz, when asked
      about the reason for a Brooks festival. "Richmond is an odd place to
      have it because Louise Brooks never even visited here," Kollatz says.
      The closest she ever came, as far as he can tell, is Lynchburg, with
      the Denishawn Dancers. "More people know her through her style,"
      Kollatz continues, "through her pictures. They are silent films, and
      not many people watch them."

      Yellow House president Stephanie Kelley, who will play Brooks in a
      reading during the festival, had a typical reaction when Kollatz
      approached her. "I knew the image of Louise Brooks," she recalls,
      "that vision of a woman. Harry brought the images and information in.
      I had no idea that was Louise Brooks."

      Brooks is the emblematic '20s flapper girl, who toured with Martha
      Graham in the Denishawn Dancers, ran with Britain's fashionable set of
      Bright Young Things (wet blankets, she thought), returned to the
      states to make it on Broadway and began her movie career in Hollywood.
      In her heyday she also toured with Will Rogers and W.C. Fields in the
      Ziegfeld Follies, ghost-wrote a theater review for the Times critic
      Herman Mankiewicz (himself too drunk) and had affairs with scores of
      rich and famous men, including Charlie Chaplin.

      Though her screen career died with the advent of sound, right when she
      was reaching the heights of artistic success, Brooks lived on long
      after, doing off-Broadway, working as a salesgirl at Saks in New York,
      living with rich men and writing articles for obscure film magazines
      until she died in 1985 at age 79. During this period she was
      approached by the theater critic Kenneth Tynan for a legendary profile
      eventually published in The New Yorker titled "The Girl in the Black
      Helmet," a reference to her signature bob. This relationship was later
      dramatized in the play "Smoking With Lulu," by Janet Munsil, to be
      read during the festival, with Kelley as the young Brooks and
      Elizabeth Cusack as Brooks in her later years. Mark Adams will play Tynan.

      "Smoking With Lulu," is not done very often. It can be an irritating
      play, with smoking on stage. "Consistent smoking," Kollatz notes,
      "which turns people off." The festival, thrown together over two days
      in the heat of July, is risky like its subject, Kollatz acknowledges.
      But it befits her character, he says. And as the festival will show,
      even when the surrounding material is imperfect, Brooks' presence
      alone is worth doing the Charleston over. S

      Lulupalooza takes place Saturday and Sunday, July 23-24. Tickets are
      available for the entire weekend ($37.50) and for individual events.
      "Pandora's Box" will be shown Saturday, 1:30 p.m., at the Byrd Theatre
      in Carytown ($12.50). Individual films, at the Firehouse Theatre, 1609
      W. Broad St., are $5. For the full schedule, visit www.lulupalooza.org.

      http://styleweekly.com/article.asp?idarticle=10683
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 21, 2005
        That's funny-"hardly remembers." 90 to 95% of today's film
        audiences have no idea who she is. But, then again, that same
        percentage of movie goers have never seen a silent film, let alone
        know that that stuff even exists. Boy, is America doomed with
        people like that!