Re: Mary Pickford to be featured in episode of PBS's American Experience series

    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 29, 2005

      > YES...YES!!! Mary Pickford on PBS next week. But since she was
      > originally from Toronto, Canada, shouldn't the program be called
      > CANADIAN EXPERIENCE....eh?
      >
      > -Dario.

      I think that since her success was largely because of her work in America
      (Hollywood & Broadway theatre) it still counts as an "American Experience"

      And it wouldn'tve been called "Canadian Experience", it would've been called
      Experience Canadian - they love to reverse the order of words for government
      ministries like Health Canada and the like...
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 30, 2005
        You're right, Olive. Everything in Canada is done backwards!(Sorry,
        eh, to you Canadian Brooksie fans outthere, eh!) By the way, Olive,
        what do you think of AMERICAN EXPERIENCE doing a bio on Louise?
        Wouldn't that be something?

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 31, 2005

          > You're right, Olive. Everything in Canada is done backwards!(Sorry,
          > eh, to you Canadian Brooksie fans outthere, eh!) By the way, Olive,
          > what do you think of AMERICAN EXPERIENCE doing a bio on Louise?
          > Wouldn't that be something?
          >
          > -Dario.

          From a historical standpoint Louise Brooks didn't really have much of an impact -
          certainly not like Mary Pickford or Chaplin. Brooks was an up and coming starlet in
          her day that got shot down by circumstances just as she should've been crossing
          over into the 'big time'. Even her greatest film 'Pandora's Box' was largely ignored
          (and heavily censored) from the time it came out till the 1950s.

          Anyway TCM did a Louise Brooks bio a few years back - that if anyone can put on
          a DVD and send me, I'll make a similar DVD of my Louise Brooks movies...
        • Jacques du Bois
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 31, 2005
            Olive

            I have that documentary- if you would like, please email me off list
            and I'll get you a copy.

            cheers,
            James
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 1, 2005
              I think that DVD on Brooksie's life is already on sale through Movies
              Unlimited or DVD Planet. They might have it.