Mary Pickford to be featured in episode of PBS's American Experience series

    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 29 7:54 AM
      Mary Pickford to be featured in episode of PBS's American Experience series

      Info from The Louise Brooks Society's Live Journal

      http://www.livejournal.com/users/louisebrooks/73936.html

      The next episode of American Experience on PBS will be devoted to Mary Pickford!
      This next episode is scheduled to air on April 4th - however, individuals should
      check their local listings for exact times and dates. For more information on this
      episode, check out the PBS webpage devoted to Pickford and silent film. There is
      extra material (a timeline, photo gallery, teacher's guide, etc...) scattered about the
      pages of this mini-site. You can even screen an entire early Mary Pickford film, plus
      excerpts from two later films.

      The web page set up for programming info...

      http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/pickford/
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 29 10:33 AM
        YES...YES!!! Mary Pickford on PBS next week. But since she was
        originally from Toronto, Canada, shouldn't the program be called
        CANADIAN EXPERIENCE....eh?

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 29 11:05 AM

          > YES...YES!!! Mary Pickford on PBS next week. But since she was
          > originally from Toronto, Canada, shouldn't the program be called
          > CANADIAN EXPERIENCE....eh?
          >
          > -Dario.

          I think that since her success was largely because of her work in America
          (Hollywood & Broadway theatre) it still counts as an "American Experience"

          And it wouldn'tve been called "Canadian Experience", it would've been called
          Experience Canadian - they love to reverse the order of words for government
          ministries like Health Canada and the like...
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 30 10:33 AM
            You're right, Olive. Everything in Canada is done backwards!(Sorry,
            eh, to you Canadian Brooksie fans outthere, eh!) By the way, Olive,
            what do you think of AMERICAN EXPERIENCE doing a bio on Louise?
            Wouldn't that be something?

            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 31 3:41 AM

              > You're right, Olive. Everything in Canada is done backwards!(Sorry,
              > eh, to you Canadian Brooksie fans outthere, eh!) By the way, Olive,
              > what do you think of AMERICAN EXPERIENCE doing a bio on Louise?
              > Wouldn't that be something?
              >
              > -Dario.

              From a historical standpoint Louise Brooks didn't really have much of an impact -
              certainly not like Mary Pickford or Chaplin. Brooks was an up and coming starlet in
              her day that got shot down by circumstances just as she should've been crossing
              over into the 'big time'. Even her greatest film 'Pandora's Box' was largely ignored
              (and heavily censored) from the time it came out till the 1950s.

              Anyway TCM did a Louise Brooks bio a few years back - that if anyone can put on
              a DVD and send me, I'll make a similar DVD of my Louise Brooks movies...
            • Jacques du Bois
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 31 9:01 AM
                Olive

                I have that documentary- if you would like, please email me off list
                and I'll get you a copy.

                cheers,
                James
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 1, 2005
                  I think that DVD on Brooksie's life is already on sale through Movies
                  Unlimited or DVD Planet. They might have it.