Does anyone know how to set up streaming video?

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 5, 2003
      I had this bright idea that since I now have broadband and since my
      computer has VCR inputs that it would be an interesting expirement to
      try and set up a streaming video 'webcast' of a Louise Brooks movie
      from time to time. The computer I use is a Macintosh 7600 A/V running
      OS 9.0.1 if that helps any.

      Any suggestions or assisstance would be appreciated greatly
    • bluesbrother_one
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 5, 2003
        A nice idea but I don't believe it's workable with your computer
        hardware.

        Part of my job is streaming live and recorded audio and video. In
        fact, I recently used the DVD of the documentary, "Looking For Lulu" as
        a test when I was setting up for a live event this past December. It
        was more than a week before the event so someone would have had to
        stumble upon the stream by accident. No one did so I don't believe I
        could have been accused of violation of copyright. Of course, working
        for an educational institution, I may have a bit more latitude in that
        area but I do take the issue very seriously and try not to be in
        violation of the copyright law.

        That brings me to a non-technical point about the possibility of
        streaming an LB movie. You may wish to check into the related
        copyright issues. I don't believe you'd be hassled by anyone in
        particular since the video quality wouldn't be that good and it would
        be difficult to copy the live stream effectively. Also, while I don't
        know your financial situation, I doubt it would be cost-effective for
        them to go after you (money, to be lost or gained, is a determining
        factor). Perhaps some of the LB films are public domain. I haven't
        researched the issue since I'm sending this response just as I've read
        the referenced message.

        On the technical side, your hardware is not up to sending a broadband
        video stream and it's doubtful that you could send a low speed modem
        version, either. The minimum configuration I've used for a "live"
        broadcast video stream, at modem data rates, is a 400 MHz G4. Now if
        you were to get one of those 1 GHz G4 17" widescreen iMacs, then you'd
        be onto something. That's the least expensive way to get that much
        power in a Mac configuration and it would work as a streaming server
        with the appropriate software. It's time to upgrade that system!

        I could go into more technical details about different broadcast
        configurations and hardware requirements but this message is already
        getting too long. I could check into what is possible with your
        hardware configuration but I don't believe you'd find the end result
        acceptable. I will tell you that a video digitized and optimized for
        streaming requires less powerful hardware than streaming "on the fly".

        Please let me know if you want more information.
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 5, 2003
          I think a new Apple computer should do the trick for you. Or perhaps
          an IBM or Hewlitt-Packard PC. They seem to be good computers, from
          what I understand.

          -Dario.

          --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, dasimperator

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 6, 2003
            I don't need a computer I just need to know how to get the video onto
            the net....
          • Perry Leuthard
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 6, 2003
              There is a friendly fellow that runs the site www.haircut.net If you go to the page and email him I almost bet he would give you advice on the subject. He has quite a bit of that on his page............
              dasimperator <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:I don't need a computer I just need to know how to get the video onto
              the net....