Re: Happy Birthday Louise Brooks!

    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 6, 2002
      --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@y..., nutsaboutclara
      <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > SORRY!!! But how can anyone not see how wonderful DVD
      technology is?

      It's doing nothing that the Laserdisc hasn't been doing for the
      last 20 years or so only smaller and with those pesky
      copy-protection schemes that limit it's usefulness (like for me
      who wants to be alble to rent or borrow movies and make dubs
      of the ones I want to keep). And with some discs you get more
      compression 'artifacts' than King Tut's tomb.I also find the lack of
      RF modulator (missing on virtually all DVD machines) to be
      kinda cheesy. In any event I just don't buy (or rent) enough
      movies to justify bothering to get a DVD. All the movies I like I can
      copy to Beta off of good old TCM...

      Funny but the old RCA Selectavision CED format was killed
      largely by the inability to record (and the inherent problems
      associated with a needle on record technology). I actually have
      an old CED player, but no discs for it : (.

      When I do break down and go DVD the first discs I get (besides
      2001 A Space Odessey) will likely be a set of Brooksie's movies.
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 10, 2002
        Well, you are certainly entitled to your opinion.