Re: Happy Birthday Louise Brooks!

    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 6, 2002
      SORRY!!! But how can anyone not see how wonderful DVD technology is?

      -Dario.

      --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@y..., dasimperator <no_reply@y...>
      wrote:
      > I've had to delete these messages for language content. Please keep
      the cussing to a minimum...

      > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@y..., "Bill Morris" <bmorris@m...>
      wrote:
      > > The problem lies in that region coding. Sure, DVD has great
      resolution, but in some cases, you can't play a DVD bought in
      America on
      > a player in Great Britain and other countries.
      > > "When we die, we don't go to purgatory.
      > > We just land up on the roof and lay there."
      > > --Edward E. "Steady Ed" Headrick,
      > > inventor of the modern Frisbee.
      > >
      > > Bill Morris, bmorris@m...
      Louise Brooks!

      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 6, 2002
        <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > SORRY!!! But how can anyone not see how wonderful DVD
        technology is?

        It's doing nothing that the Laserdisc hasn't been doing for the
        last 20 years or so only smaller and with those pesky
        copy-protection schemes that limit it's usefulness (like for me
        who wants to be alble to rent or borrow movies and make dubs
        of the ones I want to keep). And with some discs you get more
        compression 'artifacts' than King Tut's tomb.I also find the lack of
        RF modulator (missing on virtually all DVD machines) to be
        kinda cheesy. In any event I just don't buy (or rent) enough
        movies to justify bothering to get a DVD. All the movies I like I can
        copy to Beta off of good old TCM...

        Funny but the old RCA Selectavision CED format was killed
        largely by the inability to record (and the inherent problems
        associated with a needle on record technology). I actually have
        an old CED player, but no discs for it : (.

        When I do break down and go DVD the first discs I get (besides
        2001 A Space Odessey) will likely be a set of Brooksie's movies.
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 10, 2002
          Well, you are certainly entitled to your opinion.