Re: Happy Birthday Louise Brooks!

    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 3, 2002
      --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@y..., nutsaboutclara <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > But, the VHS will soon be history, with the increasing
      > popularity of DVD, which kicks VHS & Beta's ass like nothing that has
      > ever been seen in home entertainment technology.

      Sadly the DVD format comes prehobbled with 'region codes' and macrovision copy-protection and other nasties that limit it's
      usefulness to true video afficianados. It may be a great format but the recording industry seems hellbent on keeping us peon
      consumers in line...
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 3, 2002
        <no_reply@y...> wrote:

        > P.S. BTW, are you related to Olive Oyl by any chance?(Joke)

        I'm an heiress to the English Muffin fortune.... :op
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 4, 2002
          COOL!!! I love Thomas's English Muffins. With all those nooks and
          cranies that hold the melted butter(Man, do I remember the lines to
          that commercial or what!).

          -Dario.

          --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@y..., olive_e_thomas <no_reply@y...>

          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 4, 2002
            I've had to delete these messages for language content. Please keep the cussing to a minimum...

            --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@y..., "Bill Morris" <bmorris@m...> wrote:
            > The problem lies in that region coding. Sure, DVD has great resolution, but in some cases, you can't play a DVD bought in America on
            a player in Great Britain and other countries.

            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 6, 2002
              SORRY!!! But how can anyone not see how wonderful DVD technology is?

              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 6, 2002
                <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                > SORRY!!! But how can anyone not see how wonderful DVD
                technology is?

                It's doing nothing that the Laserdisc hasn't been doing for the
                last 20 years or so only smaller and with those pesky
                copy-protection schemes that limit it's usefulness (like for me
                who wants to be alble to rent or borrow movies and make dubs
                of the ones I want to keep). And with some discs you get more
                compression 'artifacts' than King Tut's tomb.I also find the lack of
                RF modulator (missing on virtually all DVD machines) to be
                kinda cheesy. In any event I just don't buy (or rent) enough
                movies to justify bothering to get a DVD. All the movies I like I can
                copy to Beta off of good old TCM...

                Funny but the old RCA Selectavision CED format was killed
                largely by the inability to record (and the inherent problems
                associated with a needle on record technology). I actually have
                an old CED player, but no discs for it : (.

                When I do break down and go DVD the first discs I get (besides
                2001 A Space Odessey) will likely be a set of Brooksie's movies.
                Message 7 of 18 , Dec 10, 2002
                  Well, you are certainly entitled to your opinion.