Louise Brooks vs. VCRs and Big Oil...

    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 2, 2002
      Curiously enough when one of Louise's friends suggested that they might bring over a VCR to screen movies in her home she refused
      thinking it might mess up her TV set. Too bad she didn't have one for the time her brother Theodore (who wrote for the Oil & Gas column
      page of the Wichita Eagle & Beacon) was interviewed on NBC's "Behind the Lines in 1974...

      from a letter to Theo by Louise after the show aired...

      "I wish you would tell me whether I got your message right: there is no conspiracy among the oil companies: that as the sunflower
      follows the sun by nature, so it is by nature that the oil companies rob the world. They do not have to get together to decide to do what
      they have been doing since they came into existence."

      This message was brought to you by Enron...
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 2, 2002
        --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@y..., dasimperator
        <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > Curiously enough when one of Louise's friends suggested that
        they might bring over a VCR to screen movies in her home she
        refused thinking it might mess up her TV set. Too bad she didn't
        have one for the time her brother Theodore (who wrote for the Oil
        & Gas column page of the Wichita Eagle & Beacon) was
        interviewed on NBC's "Behind the Lines in 1974...

        Now THAT'S a great segue! ;o)
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 3, 2002
          Yes, Olive. I already know about Sony not making anymore Beta
          machines. But, the VHS will soon be history, with the increasing
          popularity of DVD, which kicks VHS & Beta's ass like nothing that has
          ever been seen in home entertainment technology.

          -Dario.

          P.S. BTW, are you related to Olive Oyl by any chance?(Joke)

          --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@y..., olive_e_thomas <no_reply@y...>

          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 3, 2002
            Ah, yes. I remember that bit of info from the chapter, titled, "Theo
            & Louise". Great chapter!

            -Dario.

            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 3, 2002
              --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@y..., nutsaboutclara <no_reply@y...> wrote:
              > But, the VHS will soon be history, with the increasing
              > popularity of DVD, which kicks VHS & Beta's ass like nothing that has
              > ever been seen in home entertainment technology.

              Sadly the DVD format comes prehobbled with 'region codes' and macrovision copy-protection and other nasties that limit it's
              usefulness to true video afficianados. It may be a great format but the recording industry seems hellbent on keeping us peon
              consumers in line...
              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 3, 2002
                <no_reply@y...> wrote:

                > P.S. BTW, are you related to Olive Oyl by any chance?(Joke)

                I'm an heiress to the English Muffin fortune.... :op
                Message 7 of 18 , Dec 4, 2002
                  COOL!!! I love Thomas's English Muffins. With all those nooks and
                  cranies that hold the melted butter(Man, do I remember the lines to
                  that commercial or what!).

                  -Dario.

                  Message 8 of 18 , Dec 4, 2002
                    I've had to delete these messages for language content. Please keep the cussing to a minimum...

                    --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@y..., "Bill Morris" <bmorris@m...> wrote:
                    > The problem lies in that region coding. Sure, DVD has great resolution, but in some cases, you can't play a DVD bought in America on
                    a player in Great Britain and other countries.

                    Message 9 of 18 , Dec 6, 2002
                      SORRY!!! But how can anyone not see how wonderful DVD technology is?

                      -Dario.

                      Message 10 of 18 , Dec 6, 2002
                        <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                        > SORRY!!! But how can anyone not see how wonderful DVD
                        technology is?

                        It's doing nothing that the Laserdisc hasn't been doing for the
                        last 20 years or so only smaller and with those pesky
                        copy-protection schemes that limit it's usefulness (like for me
                        who wants to be alble to rent or borrow movies and make dubs
                        of the ones I want to keep). And with some discs you get more
                        compression 'artifacts' than King Tut's tomb.I also find the lack of
                        RF modulator (missing on virtually all DVD machines) to be
                        kinda cheesy. In any event I just don't buy (or rent) enough
                        movies to justify bothering to get a DVD. All the movies I like I can
                        copy to Beta off of good old TCM...

                        Funny but the old RCA Selectavision CED format was killed
                        largely by the inability to record (and the inherent problems
                        associated with a needle on record technology). I actually have
                        an old CED player, but no discs for it : (.

                        When I do break down and go DVD the first discs I get (besides
                        2001 A Space Odessey) will likely be a set of Brooksie's movies.
                        Message 11 of 18 , Dec 10, 2002
                          Well, you are certainly entitled to your opinion.