Re: Happy Birthday Louise Brooks!

    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 2, 2002
      Oh man!!! Talk about your caveman technology!!!

      -Dario.

      --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@y..., dasimperator <no_reply@y...>

      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 2, 2002
        ET TU, OLIVE?

        -Dario.

        --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@y..., olive_e_thomas <no_reply@y...>

        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 2, 2002
          <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > ET TU, OLIVE?
          >
          > -Dario.

          Don't knock Beta! Beta responds faster to transport commands
          than VHS can hold a pause longer and has a 20% better picture
          than VHS (a Beta video head is 20% larger and the Beta tape
          speeds are 20% faster than VHS counterparts) and I can copy
          VHS and DVD videos encoded with the Macrovision
          copy-protection scheme with minimal problems because Beta
          VCRs optimizes a video signal before it goes onto the tape. VHS
          only optimizes the video signal coming off the tape (when the
          damage is done already...). Macrovison was designed only to be
          effective on VHS machines.

          And by the way Sony only just stopped making Beta machines
          (they were building a couple thousand a year for the Japan
          market) this year.

          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 2, 2002
            Curiously enough when one of Louise's friends suggested that they might bring over a VCR to screen movies in her home she refused
            thinking it might mess up her TV set. Too bad she didn't have one for the time her brother Theodore (who wrote for the Oil & Gas column
            page of the Wichita Eagle & Beacon) was interviewed on NBC's "Behind the Lines in 1974...

            from a letter to Theo by Louise after the show aired...

            "I wish you would tell me whether I got your message right: there is no conspiracy among the oil companies: that as the sunflower
            follows the sun by nature, so it is by nature that the oil companies rob the world. They do not have to get together to decide to do what
            they have been doing since they came into existence."

            This message was brought to you by Enron...
            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 2, 2002
              <no_reply@y...> wrote:
              > Curiously enough when one of Louise's friends suggested that
              they might bring over a VCR to screen movies in her home she
              refused thinking it might mess up her TV set. Too bad she didn't
              have one for the time her brother Theodore (who wrote for the Oil
              & Gas column page of the Wichita Eagle & Beacon) was
              interviewed on NBC's "Behind the Lines in 1974...

              Now THAT'S a great segue! ;o)
              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 3, 2002
                Yes, Olive. I already know about Sony not making anymore Beta
                machines. But, the VHS will soon be history, with the increasing
                popularity of DVD, which kicks VHS & Beta's ass like nothing that has
                ever been seen in home entertainment technology.

                -Dario.

                P.S. BTW, are you related to Olive Oyl by any chance?(Joke)

                Message 7 of 18 , Dec 3, 2002
                  Ah, yes. I remember that bit of info from the chapter, titled, "Theo
                  & Louise". Great chapter!

                  Message 8 of 18 , Dec 3, 2002
                    --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@y..., nutsaboutclara <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                    > But, the VHS will soon be history, with the increasing
                    > popularity of DVD, which kicks VHS & Beta's ass like nothing that has
                    > ever been seen in home entertainment technology.

                    Sadly the DVD format comes prehobbled with 'region codes' and macrovision copy-protection and other nasties that limit it's
                    usefulness to true video afficianados. It may be a great format but the recording industry seems hellbent on keeping us peon
                    consumers in line...
                    Message 9 of 18 , Dec 3, 2002
                      <no_reply@y...> wrote:

                      > P.S. BTW, are you related to Olive Oyl by any chance?(Joke)

                      I'm an heiress to the English Muffin fortune.... :op
                      Message 10 of 18 , Dec 4, 2002
                        COOL!!! I love Thomas's English Muffins. With all those nooks and
                        cranies that hold the melted butter(Man, do I remember the lines to
                        that commercial or what!).

                        Message 11 of 18 , Dec 4, 2002
                          I've had to delete these messages for language content. Please keep the cussing to a minimum...

                          --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@y..., "Bill Morris" <bmorris@m...> wrote:
                          > The problem lies in that region coding. Sure, DVD has great resolution, but in some cases, you can't play a DVD bought in America on
                          a player in Great Britain and other countries.

                          Message 12 of 18 , Dec 6, 2002
                            SORRY!!! But how can anyone not see how wonderful DVD technology is?

                            Message 13 of 18 , Dec 6, 2002
                              <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                              > SORRY!!! But how can anyone not see how wonderful DVD
                              technology is?

                              It's doing nothing that the Laserdisc hasn't been doing for the
                              last 20 years or so only smaller and with those pesky
                              copy-protection schemes that limit it's usefulness (like for me
                              who wants to be alble to rent or borrow movies and make dubs
                              of the ones I want to keep). And with some discs you get more
                              compression 'artifacts' than King Tut's tomb.I also find the lack of
                              RF modulator (missing on virtually all DVD machines) to be
                              kinda cheesy. In any event I just don't buy (or rent) enough
                              movies to justify bothering to get a DVD. All the movies I like I can
                              copy to Beta off of good old TCM...

                              Funny but the old RCA Selectavision CED format was killed
                              largely by the inability to record (and the inherent problems
                              associated with a needle on record technology). I actually have
                              an old CED player, but no discs for it : (.

                              When I do break down and go DVD the first discs I get (besides
                              2001 A Space Odessey) will likely be a set of Brooksie's movies.
                              Message 14 of 18 , Dec 10, 2002
                                Well, you are certainly entitled to your opinion.