Re: Happy Birthday Louise Brooks!

    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 26, 2002
      --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@y..., nutsaboutclara
      <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > BETAMAX??? Who uses Beta anymore?

      I do! I do!

      http://uk.geocities.com/olive_e_thomas/index.html

      I have a Beta tape of Pandora's Box that also has Ayn Rand's
      Fountainhead and an old silent movie called 'Love's Prisoner'
      starring the first wife of Mary Pickford's brother...
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 2, 2002
        Oh man!!! Talk about your caveman technology!!!

        -Dario.

        --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@y..., dasimperator <no_reply@y...>

        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 2, 2002
          ET TU, OLIVE?

          -Dario.

          --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@y..., olive_e_thomas <no_reply@y...>

          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 2, 2002
            <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            > ET TU, OLIVE?
            >
            > -Dario.

            Don't knock Beta! Beta responds faster to transport commands
            than VHS can hold a pause longer and has a 20% better picture
            than VHS (a Beta video head is 20% larger and the Beta tape
            speeds are 20% faster than VHS counterparts) and I can copy
            VHS and DVD videos encoded with the Macrovision
            copy-protection scheme with minimal problems because Beta
            VCRs optimizes a video signal before it goes onto the tape. VHS
            only optimizes the video signal coming off the tape (when the
            damage is done already...). Macrovison was designed only to be
            effective on VHS machines.

            And by the way Sony only just stopped making Beta machines
            (they were building a couple thousand a year for the Japan
            market) this year.

            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 2, 2002
              Curiously enough when one of Louise's friends suggested that they might bring over a VCR to screen movies in her home she refused
              thinking it might mess up her TV set. Too bad she didn't have one for the time her brother Theodore (who wrote for the Oil & Gas column
              page of the Wichita Eagle & Beacon) was interviewed on NBC's "Behind the Lines in 1974...

              from a letter to Theo by Louise after the show aired...

              "I wish you would tell me whether I got your message right: there is no conspiracy among the oil companies: that as the sunflower
              follows the sun by nature, so it is by nature that the oil companies rob the world. They do not have to get together to decide to do what
              they have been doing since they came into existence."

              This message was brought to you by Enron...
              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 2, 2002
                <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                > Curiously enough when one of Louise's friends suggested that
                they might bring over a VCR to screen movies in her home she
                refused thinking it might mess up her TV set. Too bad she didn't
                have one for the time her brother Theodore (who wrote for the Oil
                & Gas column page of the Wichita Eagle & Beacon) was
                interviewed on NBC's "Behind the Lines in 1974...

                Now THAT'S a great segue! ;o)
                Message 7 of 18 , Dec 3, 2002
                  Yes, Olive. I already know about Sony not making anymore Beta
                  machines. But, the VHS will soon be history, with the increasing
                  popularity of DVD, which kicks VHS & Beta's ass like nothing that has
                  ever been seen in home entertainment technology.

                  -Dario.

                  P.S. BTW, are you related to Olive Oyl by any chance?(Joke)

                  Message 8 of 18 , Dec 3, 2002
                    Ah, yes. I remember that bit of info from the chapter, titled, "Theo
                    & Louise". Great chapter!

                    Message 9 of 18 , Dec 3, 2002
                      --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@y..., nutsaboutclara <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                      > But, the VHS will soon be history, with the increasing
                      > popularity of DVD, which kicks VHS & Beta's ass like nothing that has
                      > ever been seen in home entertainment technology.

                      Sadly the DVD format comes prehobbled with 'region codes' and macrovision copy-protection and other nasties that limit it's
                      usefulness to true video afficianados. It may be a great format but the recording industry seems hellbent on keeping us peon
                      consumers in line...
                      Message 10 of 18 , Dec 3, 2002
                        <no_reply@y...> wrote:

                        > P.S. BTW, are you related to Olive Oyl by any chance?(Joke)

                        I'm an heiress to the English Muffin fortune.... :op
                        Message 11 of 18 , Dec 4, 2002
                          COOL!!! I love Thomas's English Muffins. With all those nooks and
                          cranies that hold the melted butter(Man, do I remember the lines to
                          that commercial or what!).

                          Message 12 of 18 , Dec 4, 2002
                            I've had to delete these messages for language content. Please keep the cussing to a minimum...

                            --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@y..., "Bill Morris" <bmorris@m...> wrote:
                            > The problem lies in that region coding. Sure, DVD has great resolution, but in some cases, you can't play a DVD bought in America on
                            a player in Great Britain and other countries.

                            Message 13 of 18 , Dec 6, 2002
                              SORRY!!! But how can anyone not see how wonderful DVD technology is?

                              Message 14 of 18 , Dec 6, 2002
                                <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                                > SORRY!!! But how can anyone not see how wonderful DVD
                                technology is?

                                It's doing nothing that the Laserdisc hasn't been doing for the
                                last 20 years or so only smaller and with those pesky
                                copy-protection schemes that limit it's usefulness (like for me
                                who wants to be alble to rent or borrow movies and make dubs
                                of the ones I want to keep). And with some discs you get more
                                compression 'artifacts' than King Tut's tomb.I also find the lack of
                                RF modulator (missing on virtually all DVD machines) to be
                                kinda cheesy. In any event I just don't buy (or rent) enough
                                movies to justify bothering to get a DVD. All the movies I like I can
                                copy to Beta off of good old TCM...

                                Funny but the old RCA Selectavision CED format was killed
                                largely by the inability to record (and the inherent problems
                                associated with a needle on record technology). I actually have
                                an old CED player, but no discs for it : (.

                                When I do break down and go DVD the first discs I get (besides
                                2001 A Space Odessey) will likely be a set of Brooksie's movies.
                                Message 15 of 18 , Dec 10, 2002
                                  Well, you are certainly entitled to your opinion.