Re: Happy Birthday Louise Brooks!

    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 26, 2002
      --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@y..., nutsaboutclara <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > BETAMAX??? Who uses Beta anymore?
      >
      > -Dario.
      >

      > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@y..., dasimperator <no_reply@y...>
      > wrote:
      > > Happy Birthday to Louise Brooks. 96 years ago...
      > >
      > > Why not pop one of her movies in the old Betamax or curl up by the
      > fire with your copy of Lulu in Hollywood?

      Well I do for one...

      http://uk.geocities.com/dasimperator/index.html
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 26, 2002
        <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > BETAMAX??? Who uses Beta anymore?

        I do! I do!

        http://uk.geocities.com/olive_e_thomas/index.html

        I have a Beta tape of Pandora's Box that also has Ayn Rand's
        Fountainhead and an old silent movie called 'Love's Prisoner'
        starring the first wife of Mary Pickford's brother...
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 2, 2002
          Oh man!!! Talk about your caveman technology!!!

          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 2, 2002
            ET TU, OLIVE?

            -Dario.

            --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@y..., olive_e_thomas <no_reply@y...>

            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 2, 2002
              <no_reply@y...> wrote:
              > ET TU, OLIVE?
              >
              > -Dario.

              Don't knock Beta! Beta responds faster to transport commands
              than VHS can hold a pause longer and has a 20% better picture
              than VHS (a Beta video head is 20% larger and the Beta tape
              speeds are 20% faster than VHS counterparts) and I can copy
              VHS and DVD videos encoded with the Macrovision
              copy-protection scheme with minimal problems because Beta
              VCRs optimizes a video signal before it goes onto the tape. VHS
              only optimizes the video signal coming off the tape (when the
              damage is done already...). Macrovison was designed only to be
              effective on VHS machines.

              And by the way Sony only just stopped making Beta machines
              (they were building a couple thousand a year for the Japan
              market) this year.

              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 2, 2002
                Curiously enough when one of Louise's friends suggested that they might bring over a VCR to screen movies in her home she refused
                thinking it might mess up her TV set. Too bad she didn't have one for the time her brother Theodore (who wrote for the Oil & Gas column
                page of the Wichita Eagle & Beacon) was interviewed on NBC's "Behind the Lines in 1974...

                from a letter to Theo by Louise after the show aired...

                "I wish you would tell me whether I got your message right: there is no conspiracy among the oil companies: that as the sunflower
                follows the sun by nature, so it is by nature that the oil companies rob the world. They do not have to get together to decide to do what
                they have been doing since they came into existence."

                This message was brought to you by Enron...
                Message 7 of 18 , Dec 2, 2002
                  <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                  > Curiously enough when one of Louise's friends suggested that
                  they might bring over a VCR to screen movies in her home she
                  refused thinking it might mess up her TV set. Too bad she didn't
                  have one for the time her brother Theodore (who wrote for the Oil
                  & Gas column page of the Wichita Eagle & Beacon) was
                  interviewed on NBC's "Behind the Lines in 1974...

                  Now THAT'S a great segue! ;o)
                  Message 8 of 18 , Dec 3, 2002
                    Yes, Olive. I already know about Sony not making anymore Beta
                    machines. But, the VHS will soon be history, with the increasing
                    popularity of DVD, which kicks VHS & Beta's ass like nothing that has
                    ever been seen in home entertainment technology.

                    -Dario.

                    P.S. BTW, are you related to Olive Oyl by any chance?(Joke)

                    Message 9 of 18 , Dec 3, 2002
                      Ah, yes. I remember that bit of info from the chapter, titled, "Theo
                      & Louise". Great chapter!

                      Message 10 of 18 , Dec 3, 2002
                        --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@y..., nutsaboutclara <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                        > But, the VHS will soon be history, with the increasing
                        > popularity of DVD, which kicks VHS & Beta's ass like nothing that has
                        > ever been seen in home entertainment technology.

                        Sadly the DVD format comes prehobbled with 'region codes' and macrovision copy-protection and other nasties that limit it's
                        usefulness to true video afficianados. It may be a great format but the recording industry seems hellbent on keeping us peon
                        consumers in line...
                        Message 11 of 18 , Dec 3, 2002
                          <no_reply@y...> wrote:

                          > P.S. BTW, are you related to Olive Oyl by any chance?(Joke)

                          I'm an heiress to the English Muffin fortune.... :op
                          Message 12 of 18 , Dec 4, 2002
                            COOL!!! I love Thomas's English Muffins. With all those nooks and
                            cranies that hold the melted butter(Man, do I remember the lines to
                            that commercial or what!).

                            Message 13 of 18 , Dec 4, 2002
                              I've had to delete these messages for language content. Please keep the cussing to a minimum...

                              --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@y..., "Bill Morris" <bmorris@m...> wrote:
                              > The problem lies in that region coding. Sure, DVD has great resolution, but in some cases, you can't play a DVD bought in America on
                              a player in Great Britain and other countries.

                              Message 14 of 18 , Dec 6, 2002
                                SORRY!!! But how can anyone not see how wonderful DVD technology is?

                                Message 15 of 18 , Dec 6, 2002
                                  <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                                  > SORRY!!! But how can anyone not see how wonderful DVD
                                  technology is?

                                  It's doing nothing that the Laserdisc hasn't been doing for the
                                  last 20 years or so only smaller and with those pesky
                                  copy-protection schemes that limit it's usefulness (like for me
                                  who wants to be alble to rent or borrow movies and make dubs
                                  of the ones I want to keep). And with some discs you get more
                                  compression 'artifacts' than King Tut's tomb.I also find the lack of
                                  RF modulator (missing on virtually all DVD machines) to be
                                  kinda cheesy. In any event I just don't buy (or rent) enough
                                  movies to justify bothering to get a DVD. All the movies I like I can
                                  copy to Beta off of good old TCM...

                                  Funny but the old RCA Selectavision CED format was killed
                                  largely by the inability to record (and the inherent problems
                                  associated with a needle on record technology). I actually have
                                  an old CED player, but no discs for it : (.

                                  When I do break down and go DVD the first discs I get (besides
                                  2001 A Space Odessey) will likely be a set of Brooksie's movies.
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Dec 10, 2002
                                    Well, you are certainly entitled to your opinion.