Re: cheap silent dvds

  • blueorchid99999
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 16, 2002
      heeee, happily the girl I'm staying with has the very-expensive setup
      to do just that ;D --jenny

      --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@y..., nutsaboutclara <no_reply@y...>
      wrote:
> [...]
      > > allowed to work. I'm charging $9 per VCD and $11 per DVD--postage
      > is
      > > included in these prices ;)
      > > I can't bring everything I have over there, not enough room in
      > > luggage. So I'm going to post my list of films in the movie
      > > communities, and see what draws the most interest. PLEASE PLEASE
      > > look at the list and email me at gigglesmagnolia@a... with the
      > > list of what you would like, and your contact info. Thanks!
      > >
      > > The List:
      > >
      > > listing supporting actors to the best of my memory ;) )
      > >
      > > CLARA BOW:
      > >
      > > Wings (1927, with Buddy Rogers and Richard Arlen)
      > > It (1927, with Antonio Moreno)
      > > Mantrap (1926, with Ernest Torrence. Directed by Victor Fleming,
      > who
      > > directed Gone with the Wind twelve years later!)
      > > Free to Love (1925, with Lawrence Gray)
      > > My Lady of Whims (1925, with Lawrence Gray)
      > > (talkies):
      > > The Wild Party (1929, with Fredric March)
      > > Dangerous Curves (1930, with Kay Francis)
      > > Call Her Savage (1931, Gilert Roland???)
      > >
      > > LOUISE BROOKS:
      > >
      > > Diary of a Lost Girl (German, 1928, dir. by G.W. Pabst)
      > > Love Em and Leave Em (1925, with Eleanor Boardman)
      > >
      > > THEDA BARA:
      > >
      > > A Fool There Was (1914)
      > >
      > > RUDOLPH VALENTINO:
      > >
      > > The Sheik (1921, Vilma Banky)
      > > Son of the Shiek (1926, Agnes Ayres)
      > > Blood and Sand (1922, Nita Naldi, Lila Lee)
      > > Monsieur Beaucaire (1924, Bebe Daniels)
      > >
      > > ERICH VON STROHEIM:
      > >
      > > Foolish Wives (1922, Mae Busch)
      > > The Wedding March (1927, Fay Wray)
      > > Queen Kelly (1928--Gloria Swanson--famously never completed, so
      the
      > > story is wrapped up with stills and narration of what was going
      > > happen)
      > >
      > > DW Griffith:
      > >
      > > Intolerance (1916, Lillian Gish, Mae Marsh, Robert Harron,
      > Constance
      > > Talmadge)
      > >
      > > CECIL B. DEMILLE:
      > >
      > > Male and Female (1919, Gloria Swanson, Thomas Meighan, Lila Lee.
      > > Fine use of tinting.)
      > > The Road to Yesterday (William Boyd, Joseph Schildkraut, Jetta
      > > Goudal, Vera Reynolds. Time Travel!!!)
      > >
      > > MARY PICKFORD:
      > >
      > > Poor Little Rich Girl (1917)
      > > The Little American (1917, Jack Holt)
      > > My Best Girl (1927, Buddy Rogers, her future husband ;) Fine use
      of
      > > tinting)
      > > Coquette (1929--her first sound film)
      > >
      > > CHARLIE CHAPLIN:
      > >
      > > The Gold Rush (1924, Georgia Hale)
      > >
      > > GRETA GARBO:
      > >
      > > Joyless Street (1925, dir. by G.W. Pabst)
      > > The Saga of Gosta Berling (1924, dir. by Maurice Stiller)
      > >
      > > F.W. MURNAU:
      > >
      > > Nosferatu (1922, Max Schreck)
      > > Faust (1926, Emil Jannings)
      > >
      > > OTHERS:
      > >
      > > Ben Hur (1927, Ramon Navarro, Betty Bronson, May McAvoy, Francis
      X.
      > > Bushman. Uses an early form of color in some scenes--more
      > > than tinteing, but not technicolor yet--believe it was called two-
      > > strip color)
      > >
      > > Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde (1920, John Barrymore and Martha
      Mansfield)

      > > Outside the Law (1920, Lon Chaney, and directed by Tod Browing,
      > > famous for making Freaks, some ten years later!)
      > >
      > > The Lost World (1925, Wallace Beery, Bessie Love. Early attempt
      > > make a dinosaur movie ;) )
      > >
      > > Keystone Comedies Vol. 1-3 (9 Keystone shorts, all made in 1915
      by
      > > Mack Sennett. Lots of Fatty Arbuckle, and Mabel Normand is in
      some
      > > of them)
    • Perry Leuthard
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 17, 2002
        What I have found out about PAL vs the american system is this. The analog tv sets are a lines of resolution thus the PAL has more and the VHS or DVD will not show even though the DVD might be region 0 and the dvd player will play it properly. What I have discovered is that a digital monitor like the type that is hooked to a pc is programmed in pixels so there is not an issue. For example, I purchased the DVD Pandoras box which is region 0 which means it will play in any DVD player. It still will not play on the american tv. My PC has a video capture card and I hooked it up to my pc and it worked fine. Also I put that same DVD in my pc based DVD drive and it worked wonderfully as well. My regret in this is I wish the manufactures would spend a little time and educate the public in these matters. I am not techy. I ran across this by accident and then I started asking questions from techs that I do know so there you are. Perry
        blueorchid99999 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:heeee, happily the girl I'm staying with has the very-expensive setup

        wrote:
> [...]
        > >
        > > Nosferatu (1922, Max Schreck)
        > > Faust (1926, Emil Jannings)
        > >
        > > OTHERS:
        > >
        > > Ben Hur (1927, Ramon Navarro, Betty Bronson, May McAvoy, Francis
        X.
        > > Bushman. Uses an early form of color in some scenes--more
        > > than tinteing, but not technicolor yet--believe it was called two-
        > > strip color)
        > >
        > > Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde (1920, John Barrymore and Martha
        Mansfield)

        > > Outside the Law (1920, Lon Chaney, and directed by Tod Browing,
        > > famous for making Freaks, some ten years later!)
        > >
        > > The Lost World (1925, Wallace Beery, Bessie Love. Early attempt
        > > make a dinosaur movie ;) )
        > >
        > > Keystone Comedies Vol. 1-3 (9 Keystone shorts, all made in 1915
        by
        > > Mack Sennett. Lots of Fatty Arbuckle, and Mabel Normand is in

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 17, 2002
          DVD is perhaps the most evil format developed to inflict on the
          public since at least the 8-track system. I can't say anything nice
          about a system prehobbled with so much copy protection you
          might have trouble seeing stuff on your TV, and that damndable
          'region coding'. Just the spectre of DVD and recording industry
          wheels dividing the world like so many Bilderburgers, Illuminati
          and/or Skull & Bonesmen...

          Pity the poor Laserdisc...

          Let me know if you ever get hold of an NTSC Betamax. I'm still
          using that format for my video needs...
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 18, 2002
            Good for you, Jenny!!!

            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 18, 2002
              OH OLIVE!!! I could not disagree with you more!!! DVD is the best
              thing that's happened to TV since the appearance of the VHS. Only
              the DVD is FAR superior in picture quality.

              -Dario.

              --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@y..., olive_e_thomas <no_reply@y...>

              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 18, 2002
                I am interested in the Clara Bow titles wings and mantrap. Perry at cheaptrickaz@.... the email name gigglesmagnolia part got cut off.
                nutsaboutclara <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:Good for you, Jenny!!!

                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 18, 2002
                  What happened to the home page listed in your Yahoo profile? I wanted
                  to visit that, but it seems to be lost in '404-land'...
                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 19, 2002
                    Whom are you refering to?

                    -Dario.

                    --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@y..., dasimperator <no_reply@y...>
                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 20, 2002
                      wrote:
                      > Whom are you refering to?
                      >
                      > -Dario.

                      I was referring to BlueOrchid's (Jenny) site called MartianCoquette
                      something something...

                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 21, 2002
                        Thanks for clearing that up for me.

                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 23, 2002
                          Check out Grapevine Video and Kino On Video for the Clara Bow films
                          that your looking for. Their web addresses are, respectively,
                          http://www.grapevinevideo.com and http://www.kino.com

                          -Dario.

                          --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@y..., Perry Leuthard

                          cheaptrickaz@y... the email name gigglesmagnolia part got cut off.
                          > nutsaboutclara <no_reply@y...> wrote:Good for you, Jenny!!!
                          >
                          > -Dario.
                          >

                          > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@y..., blueorchid99999
                          > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                          > > heeee, happily the girl I'm staying with has the very-expensive
                          > setup
                          > > to do just that ;D --jenny
                          > >

                          > > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@y..., nutsaboutclara
                          > <no_reply@y...>
                          > > wrote:
                          > > > Good luck on finding a burner that does just that!
                          > > >
                          > > > -Dario.
                          > > >

                          > > > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@y..., blueorchid99999
                          > > and
                          > > > difficult