cheap silent dvds

  • blueorchid99999
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 15, 2002
      So...I'm going to England in a few days and I'll have access to a
      burner that can burn video to DVD. I want to burn silent films and
      sell them, since so many are public domain, and they are so difficult
      to find. I'm doing this so I can get by in England, since I'm not
      allowed to work. I'm charging $9 per VCD and $11 per DVD--postage is
      included in these prices ;)
      I can't bring everything I have over there, not enough room in
      luggage. So I'm going to post my list of films in the movie
      communities, and see what draws the most interest. PLEASE PLEASE
      look at the list and email me at gigglesmagnolia@a... with the
      list of what you would like, and your contact info. Thanks!

      The List:

      listing supporting actors to the best of my memory ;) )

      CLARA BOW:

      Wings (1927, with Buddy Rogers and Richard Arlen)
      It (1927, with Antonio Moreno)
      Mantrap (1926, with Ernest Torrence. Directed by Victor Fleming, who
      directed Gone with the Wind twelve years later!)
      Free to Love (1925, with Lawrence Gray)
      My Lady of Whims (1925, with Lawrence Gray)
      (talkies):
      The Wild Party (1929, with Fredric March)
      Dangerous Curves (1930, with Kay Francis)
      Call Her Savage (1931, Gilert Roland???)

      LOUISE BROOKS:

      Diary of a Lost Girl (German, 1928, dir. by G.W. Pabst)
      Love Em and Leave Em (1925, with Eleanor Boardman)

      THEDA BARA:

      A Fool There Was (1914)

      RUDOLPH VALENTINO:

      The Sheik (1921, Vilma Banky)
      Son of the Shiek (1926, Agnes Ayres)
      Blood and Sand (1922, Nita Naldi, Lila Lee)
      Monsieur Beaucaire (1924, Bebe Daniels)

      ERICH VON STROHEIM:

      Foolish Wives (1922, Mae Busch)
      The Wedding March (1927, Fay Wray)
      Queen Kelly (1928--Gloria Swanson--famously never completed, so the
      story is wrapped up with stills and narration of what was going to
      happen)

      DW Griffith:

      Intolerance (1916, Lillian Gish, Mae Marsh, Robert Harron, Constance
      Talmadge)

      CECIL B. DEMILLE:

      Male and Female (1919, Gloria Swanson, Thomas Meighan, Lila Lee.
      Fine use of tinting.)
      The Road to Yesterday (William Boyd, Joseph Schildkraut, Jetta
      Goudal, Vera Reynolds. Time Travel!!!)

      MARY PICKFORD:

      Poor Little Rich Girl (1917)
      The Little American (1917, Jack Holt)
      My Best Girl (1927, Buddy Rogers, her future husband ;) Fine use of
      tinting)
      Coquette (1929--her first sound film)

      CHARLIE CHAPLIN:

      The Gold Rush (1924, Georgia Hale)

      GRETA GARBO:

      Joyless Street (1925, dir. by G.W. Pabst)
      The Saga of Gosta Berling (1924, dir. by Maurice Stiller)

      F.W. MURNAU:

      Nosferatu (1922, Max Schreck)
      Faust (1926, Emil Jannings)

      OTHERS:

      Ben Hur (1927, Ramon Navarro, Betty Bronson, May McAvoy, Francis X.
      Bushman. Uses an early form of color in some scenes--more advanced
      than tinteing, but not technicolor yet--believe it was called two-
      strip color)

      Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde (1920, John Barrymore and Martha Mansfield)

      Outside the Law (1920, Lon Chaney, and directed by Tod Browing,
      famous for making Freaks, some ten years later!)

      The Lost World (1925, Wallace Beery, Bessie Love. Early attempt to
      make a dinosaur movie ;) )

      Keystone Comedies Vol. 1-3 (9 Keystone shorts, all made in 1915 by
      Mack Sennett. Lots of Fatty Arbuckle, and Mabel Normand is in some
      of them)
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 16, 2002
        Good luck on finding a burner that does just that!

        -Dario.

        --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@y..., blueorchid99999

        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 16, 2002
          > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@y..., blueorchid99999
          > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > > So...I'm going to England in a few days and I'll have access to a
          > > burner that can burn video to DVD. I want to burn silent films and
          > > sell them, since so many are public domain, and they are so
          > difficult
          > > to find. I'm doing this so I can get by in England, since I'm not
          > > allowed to work. I'm charging $9 per VCD and $11 per DVD--postage
          > is
          > > included in these prices ;)

          One problem is that in England they use a different TV system called
          PAL than the one used in the US (NTSC). Hope that DVD VCD burner can
          compensate for that...
        • blueorchid99999
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 16, 2002
            yeah, it can--the vcr plays both kinds and the burner can do PAL and
            the American kind (NTSC???). --jenny

            --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@y..., dasimperator <no_reply@y...>
            wrote:

            > > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@y..., blueorchid99999
            > > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            > > > So...I'm going to England in a few days and I'll have access to
            > > > burner that can burn video to DVD. I want to burn silent films
            and
            > > > sell them, since so many are public domain, and they are so
            > > difficult
            > > > to find. I'm doing this so I can get by in England, since I'm
            not
            > > > allowed to work. I'm charging $9 per VCD and $11 per DVD--
            postage
            > > is
            > > > included in these prices ;)
            >
            > One problem is that in England they use a different TV system
            called
            > PAL than the one used in the US (NTSC). Hope that DVD VCD burner
            can
            > compensate for that...
          • blueorchid99999
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 16, 2002
              heeee, happily the girl I'm staying with has the very-expensive setup
              to do just that ;D --jenny

              --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@y..., nutsaboutclara <no_reply@y...>

            • Perry Leuthard
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 17, 2002
                What I have found out about PAL vs the american system is this. The analog tv sets are a lines of resolution thus the PAL has more and the VHS or DVD will not show even though the DVD might be region 0 and the dvd player will play it properly. What I have discovered is that a digital monitor like the type that is hooked to a pc is programmed in pixels so there is not an issue. For example, I purchased the DVD Pandoras box which is region 0 which means it will play in any DVD player. It still will not play on the american tv. My PC has a video capture card and I hooked it up to my pc and it worked fine. Also I put that same DVD in my pc based DVD drive and it worked wonderfully as well. My regret in this is I wish the manufactures would spend a little time and educate the public in these matters. I am not techy. I ran across this by accident and then I started asking questions from techs that I do know so there you are. Perry
                blueorchid99999 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:heeee, happily the girl I'm staying with has the very-expensive setup

                wrote:
> [...]
                > >
                > > Nosferatu (1922, Max Schreck)
                > > Faust (1926, Emil Jannings)
                > >
                > > OTHERS:
                > >
                > > Ben Hur (1927, Ramon Navarro, Betty Bronson, May McAvoy, Francis
                X.
                > > Bushman. Uses an early form of color in some scenes--more
                > > than tinteing, but not technicolor yet--believe it was called two-
                > > strip color)
                > >
                > > Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde (1920, John Barrymore and Martha
                Mansfield)

                > > Outside the Law (1920, Lon Chaney, and directed by Tod Browing,
                > > famous for making Freaks, some ten years later!)
                > >
                > > The Lost World (1925, Wallace Beery, Bessie Love. Early attempt
                > > make a dinosaur movie ;) )
                > >
                > > Keystone Comedies Vol. 1-3 (9 Keystone shorts, all made in 1915
                by
                > > Mack Sennett. Lots of Fatty Arbuckle, and Mabel Normand is in

                Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 17, 2002
                  DVD is perhaps the most evil format developed to inflict on the
                  public since at least the 8-track system. I can't say anything nice
                  about a system prehobbled with so much copy protection you
                  might have trouble seeing stuff on your TV, and that damndable
                  'region coding'. Just the spectre of DVD and recording industry
                  wheels dividing the world like so many Bilderburgers, Illuminati
                  and/or Skull & Bonesmen...

                  Pity the poor Laserdisc...

                  Let me know if you ever get hold of an NTSC Betamax. I'm still
                  using that format for my video needs...
                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 18, 2002
                    Good for you, Jenny!!!

                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 18, 2002
                      OH OLIVE!!! I could not disagree with you more!!! DVD is the best
                      thing that's happened to TV since the appearance of the VHS. Only
                      the DVD is FAR superior in picture quality.

                      -Dario.

                      --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@y..., olive_e_thomas <no_reply@y...>

                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 18, 2002
                        I am interested in the Clara Bow titles wings and mantrap. Perry at cheaptrickaz@.... the email name gigglesmagnolia part got cut off.
                        nutsaboutclara <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:Good for you, Jenny!!!

                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 18, 2002
                          What happened to the home page listed in your Yahoo profile? I wanted
                          to visit that, but it seems to be lost in '404-land'...
                          Message 12 of 15 , Oct 19, 2002
                            Whom are you refering to?

                            -Dario.

                            Message 13 of 15 , Oct 20, 2002
                              wrote:
                              > Whom are you refering to?
                              >
                              > -Dario.

                              I was referring to BlueOrchid's (Jenny) site called MartianCoquette
                              something something...

                              Message 14 of 15 , Oct 21, 2002
                                Thanks for clearing that up for me.

                                -Dario.

                                Message 15 of 15 , Oct 23, 2002
                                  Check out Grapevine Video and Kino On Video for the Clara Bow films
                                  that your looking for. Their web addresses are, respectively,
                                  http://www.grapevinevideo.com and http://www.kino.com

                                  -Dario.

                                  --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@y..., Perry Leuthard

                                  cheaptrickaz@y... the email name gigglesmagnolia part got cut off.
                                  > nutsaboutclara <no_reply@y...> wrote:Good for you, Jenny!!!
                                  >
                                  > -Dario.
                                  >

                                  > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@y..., blueorchid99999
                                  > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                                  > > heeee, happily the girl I'm staying with has the very-expensive
                                  > setup
                                  > > to do just that ;D --jenny
                                  > >

                                  > > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@y..., nutsaboutclara
                                  > <no_reply@y...>
                                  > > wrote:
                                  > > > Good luck on finding a burner that does just that!
                                  > > >
                                  > > > -Dario.
                                  > > >

                                  > > > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@y..., blueorchid99999
                                  > > and
                                  > > > difficult