Re: Finally some actual Louise Brooks content...

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 22, 2002
      I do hope that New York festival does show the newly restored version
      of DIARY. I encourage everyone to get the VHS & DVD copy of DIARY
      from KINO ON VIDEO. You won't be disappointed.

      -Dario.

      P.S. Diana Serra Cary(Baby Peggy)is a pen-pal of mine. I've got the
      schedule from the S.F. Silent Film Festival and she will be a guest,
      as stated earlier. I've got to give her a call and ask her for some
      pictures of the Castro Theater. I heard it's a beautiful theater.

      --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@y..., dasimperator <no_reply@y...>
      wrote:
      > I cribbed this from my subscription to the Louise Brooks Society
      > page...
      >

      > Greetings from the Louise Brooks Society,
      >
      > Though this is a somewhat brief newsletter, there are a number of
      > noteworthy announcements contained below. Please read on . . . .
      >
      > "DIARY OF A LOST GIRL" TO BE SCREENED IN NYC THIS WEEKEND
      >
      > "Diary of a Lost Girl" (1929) will be screened at 6:30 pm at the
      > American Museum of the Moving Image, 35th Avenue at 36th
      > Street,Astoria, NY, on Saturday, June 22 and Sunday, June 23, 2002.
      > "Diary" was directed by G.W. Pabst, the German director who helped
      > make Brooks a star in Europe with his earlier film with Brooks,
      > "Pandora's Box."
      >
      > I am not sure if the version to be shown at the American Museum of
      the
      > Moving Image will be the recently restored version screened
      elsewhere,
      > but I would guess so. More about this event can be found at
      > http://www.ammi.org/site/screenings/index.html
      >
      > "AMERICAN VENUS" TRAILER TO BE SHOWN IN SAN FRANCISCO
      >
      > The trailer to "American Venus" (1926), the second film in which
      > Louise Brooks had a role, will be screened as part of a program of
      > "lost films" at this year's San Francisco Silent Film Festival. The
      > festival takes place July 13-14 at the historic Castro Theater in
      San
      > Francisco. "American Venus" - which centered on the 1925 Miss
      America
      > contest and featured technicolor scenes - is considered a lost
      film.
      > The trailer to the film is likely all that remains. The film
      starred
      > Ford Sterling, Esther Ralston, Lawrence Gray, Douglas Fairbanks Jr.
      > and Fay Lanphier (the then reigning Miss America). Footage of
      Brooks
      > is included in the trailer.
      >
      > I would encourage all to attend. (I will be there.) There is a
      great
      > line-up of silent films and special guests, including 1920's silent
      > film star "Baby Peggy" who will introduce one of her own films. For
      > more on the festival, see http://www.silentfilm.org
      >
      > "PANDORA'S BOX" SET FOR DVD RELEASE IN ENGLAND ON JUNE 24th
      >
      > UK distributor Second Sight will release a newly restored version
      > of "Pandora's Box" on DVD on June 24th. The disc will also include
      > the hourlong documentary "Looking For Lulu." New English-language
      > title cards have been created (there is also a German title card
      > option). The film features musical accompaniment. For more
      information
      > on this English release, visit
      > http://www.r2-dvd.org/article.jsp?sectionId=2&articleId=3787
      >
      > DENISHAWN TOUR SCHEDULE NOW ON LBS WEBSITE
      >
      > As a teenager, Louise Brooks danced in the Denishawn Dance Company -

      > perhaps the leading American dance troupe of the first quarter of
      the
      > century. Brooks spent the 1922-1923 and 1923-1924 seasons with
      > Denishawn. The tour schedule for those two season is now on-line,
      and
      > can be found at
      >
      > 1922-1923 -
      > http://www.pandorasbox.com/louisebrooks/dance/denishawn-
      appearances1.h
      > tml
      >
      > 1923-1924 -
      > http://www.pandorasbox.com/louisebrooks/dance/denishawn-
      appearances2.h
      > tml
      >
      > I would encourage everyone to check out these pages and see if
      Brooks

      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/newsoflulu )