Finally some actual Louise Brooks content...

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 22, 2002
      I cribbed this from my subscription to the Louise Brooks Society
      page...

      Greetings from the Louise Brooks Society,

      Though this is a somewhat brief newsletter, there are a number of
      noteworthy announcements contained below. Please read on . . . .

      "DIARY OF A LOST GIRL" TO BE SCREENED IN NYC THIS WEEKEND

      "Diary of a Lost Girl" (1929) will be screened at 6:30 pm at the
      American Museum of the Moving Image, 35th Avenue at 36th
      Street,Astoria, NY, on Saturday, June 22 and Sunday, June 23, 2002.
      "Diary" was directed by G.W. Pabst, the German director who helped
      make Brooks a star in Europe with his earlier film with Brooks,
      "Pandora's Box."

      I am not sure if the version to be shown at the American Museum of the
      Moving Image will be the recently restored version screened elsewhere,
      but I would guess so. More about this event can be found at
      http://www.ammi.org/site/screenings/index.html

      "AMERICAN VENUS" TRAILER TO BE SHOWN IN SAN FRANCISCO

      The trailer to "American Venus" (1926), the second film in which
      Louise Brooks had a role, will be screened as part of a program of
      "lost films" at this year's San Francisco Silent Film Festival. The
      festival takes place July 13-14 at the historic Castro Theater in San
      Francisco. "American Venus" - which centered on the 1925 Miss America
      contest and featured technicolor scenes - is considered a lost film.
      The trailer to the film is likely all that remains. The film starred
      Ford Sterling, Esther Ralston, Lawrence Gray, Douglas Fairbanks Jr.
      and Fay Lanphier (the then reigning Miss America). Footage of Brooks
      is included in the trailer.

      I would encourage all to attend. (I will be there.) There is a great
      line-up of silent films and special guests, including 1920's silent
      film star "Baby Peggy" who will introduce one of her own films. For
      more on the festival, see http://www.silentfilm.org

      "PANDORA'S BOX" SET FOR DVD RELEASE IN ENGLAND ON JUNE 24th

      UK distributor Second Sight will release a newly restored version
      of "Pandora's Box" on DVD on June 24th. The disc will also include
      the hourlong documentary "Looking For Lulu." New English-language
      title cards have been created (there is also a German title card
      option). The film features musical accompaniment. For more information
      on this English release, visit
      http://www.r2-dvd.org/article.jsp?sectionId=2&articleId=3787

      DENISHAWN TOUR SCHEDULE NOW ON LBS WEBSITE

      As a teenager, Louise Brooks danced in the Denishawn Dance Company -
      perhaps the leading American dance troupe of the first quarter of the
      century. Brooks spent the 1922-1923 and 1923-1924 seasons with
      Denishawn. The tour schedule for those two season is now on-line, and
      can be found at

      1922-1923 -
      http://www.pandorasbox.com/louisebrooks/dance/denishawn-appearances1.h
      tml

      1923-1924 -
      http://www.pandorasbox.com/louisebrooks/dance/denishawn-appearances2.h
      tml

      I would encourage everyone to check out these pages and see if Brooks
      visited your home town. I would also like to encourage everyone who
      might live in the many towns and cities visited by Denishawn to visit
      their local library to see if the local newspaper ran any articles
      about the visiting dance company. (Check within a day or two of any
      given date for an article or review.) I have started to check what
      newspapers I have access to and have already found what is likely one
      of the earliest printed reference to the future actress.

      anonymous. "Ruth St. Denis in Dances of Far East." New York Times,
      October 11, 1922.
      --- review of Selwyn Theatre performance; "Miss St. Denis was assisted
      by Ted Shawn and the Denishawn dancers, notably Martha Graham and the
      little Leonore Scheffer, as well as Betty May, May Lynn, Julia
      Bennett, Louise Brooks, Pearl Wheeler, Charles Weidman and Paul
      Mathis."

      This citation can be found on the bibliography devoted to Brooks'
      appearances as a dancer and showgirl, which is located at
      http://www.pandorasbox.com/louisebrooks/biblio/perform-biblio.html
      Should anyone dig up any vintage articles, please send a copy or
      citation
      to the Louise Brooks Society.

      NEWS OF LULU - ADJUNCT WEBSITE

      is a Yahoo group/website which hosts this email newsletter. Past
      issues of "News of Lulu" can be found there, as well as an on-line
      calendar of Brooks' events and happening (such as the screenings noted
      above). There are also a few images, bookmarks, some interesting files
      and more. All are worth checking out.
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 22, 2002
        I do hope that New York festival does show the newly restored version
        of DIARY. I encourage everyone to get the VHS & DVD copy of DIARY
        from KINO ON VIDEO. You won't be disappointed.

        -Dario.

        P.S. Diana Serra Cary(Baby Peggy)is a pen-pal of mine. I've got the
        schedule from the S.F. Silent Film Festival and she will be a guest,
        as stated earlier. I've got to give her a call and ask her for some
        pictures of the Castro Theater. I heard it's a beautiful theater.

        --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@y..., dasimperator <no_reply@y...>

        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/newsoflulu )