Icons: Louise Brooks

  • m_lawrence_uk
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 28, 2001
      Icons is a series of 15 15 minute programmes made
      by a company called Multi Media Arts (MMA) Ltd. The
      programmes consist of three fans talking about their
      favourite with comments by a lecturer on film and a central
      section where a model is transformed to look like the
      star by make-up and hair cutting. <br><br>On Thursday
      2 December 1999, I went to Manchester to be filmed
      for the programme on Louise Brooks. I and others who
      were to speak on their icons (I remember Bette Davies
      and Audrey Hepburn fans) waited around whilst filming
      took place. There were no other Brooks fans there on
      the day that I was filmed.<br><br>The premise was
      that Icons would precede films starring the programme
      subjects, but this never happened. Channel 4 started
      screening the programmes last year, and they were all over
      the schedules, sometimes one, two or three a week.
      Louise never appeared. This year there have even been
      repeats.<br><br>I did manage to get a tape out of MMA last
      December, and wondered whether I had been too much of an
      anorak! I must have been filmed for over half an hour,
      but most of what I thought was intelligent talk was
      not used. The programme is lightweight - but, hey,
      it's about Louise.<br><br>Anyway, people in the UK and
      continental Europe (where they can get it) have a chance to
      see the programme on Channel 4 at 11:45am on Tuesday
      1 May 2001.<br><br>If you go to
      Icons, you will find a brief note on the programme -
      plus a link to The Louise Brooks
      Society.<br><br>Meredith