Lulu at Lileks

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 25, 2009
      Today's bleat features commentary on Pandora's Box

      http://lileks.com/bleat/?p=1718

      Standards of beauty change, though - the heroine of Metropolis seems plain by current glamour standards:

      http://lileks.com/bleat/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/met2.jpg

      At the same time, though, in the same country, they had the startlingly modern Louise Brooks, who I suspect would be catnip in any era:

      http://lileks.com/bleat/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/louise1.jpg

      http://lileks.com/bleat/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/louise2.jpg

      I can't think of anyone from the silent era who seems so alive, even over the distance of  eight decades. (Yes, that's a menorah behind Miss Brooks. It's from "Pandora's Box." She's a woman of loose morals, and perhaps the menorah is intended to tell us why. Oh those crrrazy Germans.)
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 28, 2009
        Maybe the menorrah gave Adolph & Co. those "crazzy" ideas, Olive! Who knows!

        -Dario.

        --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, olive_e_thomas <no_reply@...> wrote:

        > Today's bleat features commentary on Pandora's Box
        >
        > http://lileks.com/bleat/?p=1718
        >
        > Standards of beauty change, though - the heroine of Metropolis seems plain by current glamour standards:
        >
        > http://lileks.com/bleat/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/met2.jpg
        >
        > At the same time, though, in the same country, they had the startlingly modern Louise Brooks, who I suspect would be catnip in any era:
        >
        > http://lileks.com/bleat/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/louise1.jpg
        >
        > http://lileks.com/bleat/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/louise2.jpg
        >
        > I can't think of anyone from the silent era who seems so alive, even over the distance of  eight decades. (Yes, that's a menorah behind Miss Brooks. It's from "Pandora's Box." She's a woman of loose morals, and perhaps the menorah is intended to tell us why. Oh those crrrazy Germans.)

      • das_imperator
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 30, 2009
          They'd gone off the deep end of the gene pool long before that...