Re: Lulu in The Guardian

    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 24, 2009
      Actually much of the crap movies made here are done so with an
      eye to being able to sell them in the European market. The
      pleathora of minimalist dialogue 'action' pictures are made
      because Europeans hate reading subtitles as much as
      Americans do.

      It's the same reason techno music is popular over there. Songs
      where the lryics don't really matter sell better in a multilinqual
      market.

      As for silent movies, they sell better when you can adapt the title
      cards to the language of the country you're showing them in so
      naturally they'll get programmed more in Europe than the US.

      Also the economics and politics of European cinema are such
      that each nation demands a certain amount of 'national' content
      so small budget dialog-rich pictures are more easily made
      there.

      We have a market of about 300 million which tends to support
      the production of big budget pictures.

      One might suspect that because europe has so many different
      nationalities with their own social strata they'll have a larger base
      of the intellectual type that appreciates cinema than a large
      country like ours. Someone once noted that Switzerland has a
      population the size of Chicago that because it's broken up into
      numerous cities, towns and villages supports dozens of different
      newspapers while Chicago can only support a couple due to the
      economy of scale.

      nutsaboutclara <no_reply@...> wrote:

      > True, but I was talking about the movie-going public of today,
      not
      > specifically the silent film fan base here in America. The silent
      > film fan base already appreciates Brooksie very much, but not
      the
      > general movie-going public; anything that's not made for
      today's
      > taste is held in high regard. Europeans on the other hand, not
      only
      > view today's films, but enjoy the classics of the past, including
      > silent films. That's why I posted the comment; Europeans
      appreciate
      > silent films more than the average American does. It's a
      reflection
      > of our times, really.
      >
      > -Dario.

    • KarenUK
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 24, 2009
        Bristol, England (where I live) is doing a Silent Film Festival at the
        moment. About two years ago, they had another where I saw Pandora's Box in a
        theatre on a big screen with a live orchestra doing the music!

        Karen (UK).

        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 6, 2009
          Did you go see it, Karen?

          -Dario.

          --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, "KarenUK"
          <nhbr22476@...> wrote:

          > Bristol, England (where I live) is doing a Silent Film Festival at
          the
          > moment. About two years ago, they had another where I saw
          Pandora's Box in a
          > theatre on a big screen with a live orchestra doing the music!
          >
          > Karen (UK).

        • KarenUK
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 6, 2009
            Not to this year's, but I saw Pandora's Box & loved it.

            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 11, 2009
              Well, that's what I meant, Karen, about seeing PANDORA'S BOX(1929).