Re: Lulu in The Guardian

  • ioracara
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 24, 2009
      Like das impersonator, I have to disagree with this. I have traveled
      extensively in Europe, and there does not seem to be any greater
      popular appreciation for silent films than here in the U.S. The only
      country I've seen that has an appreciation for those films is possibly
      France, and they also seem to be the only one with any organized
      groups trying to preserve silents . . . but only a couple, and they
      are government sponsored.

      Here, however, we have a great number of groups dedicated to
      preserving old films, and most are publicly and corporately sponsored,
      as well as by the government. We have the LOC, but also the Eastman
      House, the AFI, Turner Classics, Kino, Criterion, UCLA, and on and on.
      I have no concrete info to make this next statement, but via
      observation I firmly believe more silent films have been preserved
      through American efforts than the rest of the world combined.

      Germany has no such groups, nor does Britain. Italy has enough trouble
      just being Italy. And Eastern Europe? Not at all.

      Furthermore, I know of theaters in at least three U.S. different
      cities that regularly show silent films, including one in Los Angeles
      that shows nothing BUT silent films. Even France cannot claim that.

      Grass is often greener on the other side, but in this case I think the
      original statement was incorrect in its assumption. Even though it's
      easy to make such claims, not everything in Europe is better than in
      the U.S.

      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 24, 2009
        Actually much of the crap movies made here are done so with an
        eye to being able to sell them in the European market. The
        pleathora of minimalist dialogue 'action' pictures are made
        because Europeans hate reading subtitles as much as
        Americans do.

        It's the same reason techno music is popular over there. Songs
        where the lryics don't really matter sell better in a multilinqual
        market.

        As for silent movies, they sell better when you can adapt the title
        cards to the language of the country you're showing them in so
        naturally they'll get programmed more in Europe than the US.

        Also the economics and politics of European cinema are such
        that each nation demands a certain amount of 'national' content
        so small budget dialog-rich pictures are more easily made
        there.

        We have a market of about 300 million which tends to support
        the production of big budget pictures.

        One might suspect that because europe has so many different
        nationalities with their own social strata they'll have a larger base
        of the intellectual type that appreciates cinema than a large
        country like ours. Someone once noted that Switzerland has a
        population the size of Chicago that because it's broken up into
        numerous cities, towns and villages supports dozens of different
        newspapers while Chicago can only support a couple due to the
        economy of scale.

        nutsaboutclara <no_reply@...> wrote:

        > True, but I was talking about the movie-going public of today,
        not
        > specifically the silent film fan base here in America. The silent
        > film fan base already appreciates Brooksie very much, but not
        the
        > general movie-going public; anything that's not made for
        today's
        > taste is held in high regard. Europeans on the other hand, not
        only
        > view today's films, but enjoy the classics of the past, including
        > silent films. That's why I posted the comment; Europeans
        appreciate
        > silent films more than the average American does. It's a
        reflection
        > of our times, really.
        >
        > -Dario.

      • KarenUK
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 24, 2009
          Bristol, England (where I live) is doing a Silent Film Festival at the
          moment. About two years ago, they had another where I saw Pandora's Box in a
          theatre on a big screen with a live orchestra doing the music!

          Karen (UK).

          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 6, 2009
            Did you go see it, Karen?

            -Dario.

            --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, "KarenUK"
            <nhbr22476@...> wrote:

            > Bristol, England (where I live) is doing a Silent Film Festival at
            the
            > moment. About two years ago, they had another where I saw
            Pandora's Box in a
            > theatre on a big screen with a live orchestra doing the music!
            >
            > Karen (UK).

          • KarenUK
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 6, 2009
              Not to this year's, but I saw Pandora's Box & loved it.

              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 11, 2009
                Well, that's what I meant, Karen, about seeing PANDORA'S BOX(1929).