Re: Lulu in The Guardian

    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 24, 2009
      True, but I was talking about the movie-going public of today, not
      specifically the silent film fan base here in America. The silent
      film fan base already appreciates Brooksie very much, but not the
      general movie-going public; anything that's not made for today's
      taste is held in high regard. Europeans on the other hand, not only
      view today's films, but enjoy the classics of the past, including
      silent films. That's why I posted the comment; Europeans appreciate
      silent films more than the average American does. It's a reflection
      of our times, really.

      -Dario.

      --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, "das_imperator"
      <dasimperator@...> wrote:

      > To be fair you might want to check the member list of this and your
      > Clara Bow group before making such a blanket statement. I'm sure the
      > good old USA is fairly well represented in silent movie fandom. Most
      > of the books and DVDs that cover the silent period come out of the
      US
      > market and do so because there are buyers for them.

      > > Nice to see Brooksie get a mention from the Guardian. At least
      > > Europeans like the British appreciate silent film performers like
      > > Louise, not like the rest of America, who could give a (blank)
      about
      > > silent film. Shame on the U.S.A.!
      > >
      > > -Dario.
      > >

      > > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, olive_e_thomas
      > > <no_reply@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2009/jan/21/female-icons-
      > > cinema/print

    • ioracara
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 24, 2009
        Like das impersonator, I have to disagree with this. I have traveled
        extensively in Europe, and there does not seem to be any greater
        popular appreciation for silent films than here in the U.S. The only
        country I've seen that has an appreciation for those films is possibly
        France, and they also seem to be the only one with any organized
        groups trying to preserve silents . . . but only a couple, and they
        are government sponsored.

        Here, however, we have a great number of groups dedicated to
        preserving old films, and most are publicly and corporately sponsored,
        as well as by the government. We have the LOC, but also the Eastman
        House, the AFI, Turner Classics, Kino, Criterion, UCLA, and on and on.
        I have no concrete info to make this next statement, but via
        observation I firmly believe more silent films have been preserved
        through American efforts than the rest of the world combined.

        Germany has no such groups, nor does Britain. Italy has enough trouble
        just being Italy. And Eastern Europe? Not at all.

        Furthermore, I know of theaters in at least three U.S. different
        cities that regularly show silent films, including one in Los Angeles
        that shows nothing BUT silent films. Even France cannot claim that.

        Grass is often greener on the other side, but in this case I think the
        original statement was incorrect in its assumption. Even though it's
        easy to make such claims, not everything in Europe is better than in
        the U.S.

        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 24, 2009
          Actually much of the crap movies made here are done so with an
          eye to being able to sell them in the European market. The
          pleathora of minimalist dialogue 'action' pictures are made
          because Europeans hate reading subtitles as much as
          Americans do.

          It's the same reason techno music is popular over there. Songs
          where the lryics don't really matter sell better in a multilinqual
          market.

          As for silent movies, they sell better when you can adapt the title
          cards to the language of the country you're showing them in so
          naturally they'll get programmed more in Europe than the US.

          Also the economics and politics of European cinema are such
          that each nation demands a certain amount of 'national' content
          so small budget dialog-rich pictures are more easily made
          there.

          We have a market of about 300 million which tends to support
          the production of big budget pictures.

          One might suspect that because europe has so many different
          nationalities with their own social strata they'll have a larger base
          of the intellectual type that appreciates cinema than a large
          country like ours. Someone once noted that Switzerland has a
          population the size of Chicago that because it's broken up into
          numerous cities, towns and villages supports dozens of different
          newspapers while Chicago can only support a couple due to the
          economy of scale.

          nutsaboutclara <no_reply@...> wrote:

          > True, but I was talking about the movie-going public of today,
          not
          > specifically the silent film fan base here in America. The silent
          > film fan base already appreciates Brooksie very much, but not
          the
          > general movie-going public; anything that's not made for
          today's
          > taste is held in high regard. Europeans on the other hand, not
          only
          > view today's films, but enjoy the classics of the past, including
          > silent films. That's why I posted the comment; Europeans
          appreciate
          > silent films more than the average American does. It's a
          reflection
          > of our times, really.
          >
          > -Dario.

        • KarenUK
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 24, 2009
            Bristol, England (where I live) is doing a Silent Film Festival at the
            moment. About two years ago, they had another where I saw Pandora's Box in a
            theatre on a big screen with a live orchestra doing the music!

            Karen (UK).

            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 6, 2009
              Did you go see it, Karen?

              -Dario.

              --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, "KarenUK"
              <nhbr22476@...> wrote:

              > Bristol, England (where I live) is doing a Silent Film Festival at
              the
              > moment. About two years ago, they had another where I saw
              Pandora's Box in a
              > theatre on a big screen with a live orchestra doing the music!
              >
              > Karen (UK).

            • KarenUK
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 6, 2009
                Not to this year's, but I saw Pandora's Box & loved it.

                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 11, 2009
                  Well, that's what I meant, Karen, about seeing PANDORA'S BOX(1929).