Re: Lulu in The Guardian

  • das_imperator
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 24, 2009
      To be fair you might want to check the member list of this and your
      Clara Bow group before making such a blanket statement. I'm sure the
      good old USA is fairly well represented in silent movie fandom. Most
      of the books and DVDs that cover the silent period come out of the US
      market and do so because there are buyers for them.

      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 24, 2009
        True, but I was talking about the movie-going public of today, not
        specifically the silent film fan base here in America. The silent
        film fan base already appreciates Brooksie very much, but not the
        general movie-going public; anything that's not made for today's
        taste is held in high regard. Europeans on the other hand, not only
        view today's films, but enjoy the classics of the past, including
        silent films. That's why I posted the comment; Europeans appreciate
        silent films more than the average American does. It's a reflection
        of our times, really.

        -Dario.

        --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, "das_imperator"
        <dasimperator@...> wrote:

        > To be fair you might want to check the member list of this and your
        > Clara Bow group before making such a blanket statement. I'm sure the
        > good old USA is fairly well represented in silent movie fandom. Most
        > of the books and DVDs that cover the silent period come out of the
        US
        > market and do so because there are buyers for them.

        > > Nice to see Brooksie get a mention from the Guardian. At least
        > > Europeans like the British appreciate silent film performers like
        > > Louise, not like the rest of America, who could give a (blank)
        about
        > > silent film. Shame on the U.S.A.!
        > >
        > > -Dario.
        > >

        > > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, olive_e_thomas
        > > <no_reply@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2009/jan/21/female-icons-
        > > cinema/print

      • ioracara
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 24, 2009
          Like das impersonator, I have to disagree with this. I have traveled
          extensively in Europe, and there does not seem to be any greater
          popular appreciation for silent films than here in the U.S. The only
          country I've seen that has an appreciation for those films is possibly
          France, and they also seem to be the only one with any organized
          groups trying to preserve silents . . . but only a couple, and they
          are government sponsored.

          Here, however, we have a great number of groups dedicated to
          preserving old films, and most are publicly and corporately sponsored,
          as well as by the government. We have the LOC, but also the Eastman
          House, the AFI, Turner Classics, Kino, Criterion, UCLA, and on and on.
          I have no concrete info to make this next statement, but via
          observation I firmly believe more silent films have been preserved
          through American efforts than the rest of the world combined.

          Germany has no such groups, nor does Britain. Italy has enough trouble
          just being Italy. And Eastern Europe? Not at all.

          Furthermore, I know of theaters in at least three U.S. different
          cities that regularly show silent films, including one in Los Angeles
          that shows nothing BUT silent films. Even France cannot claim that.

          Grass is often greener on the other side, but in this case I think the
          original statement was incorrect in its assumption. Even though it's
          easy to make such claims, not everything in Europe is better than in
          the U.S.

          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 24, 2009
            Actually much of the crap movies made here are done so with an
            eye to being able to sell them in the European market. The
            pleathora of minimalist dialogue 'action' pictures are made
            because Europeans hate reading subtitles as much as
            Americans do.

            It's the same reason techno music is popular over there. Songs
            where the lryics don't really matter sell better in a multilinqual
            market.

            As for silent movies, they sell better when you can adapt the title
            cards to the language of the country you're showing them in so
            naturally they'll get programmed more in Europe than the US.

            Also the economics and politics of European cinema are such
            that each nation demands a certain amount of 'national' content
            so small budget dialog-rich pictures are more easily made
            there.

            We have a market of about 300 million which tends to support
            the production of big budget pictures.

            One might suspect that because europe has so many different
            nationalities with their own social strata they'll have a larger base
            of the intellectual type that appreciates cinema than a large
            country like ours. Someone once noted that Switzerland has a
            population the size of Chicago that because it's broken up into
            numerous cities, towns and villages supports dozens of different
            newspapers while Chicago can only support a couple due to the
            economy of scale.

            nutsaboutclara <no_reply@...> wrote:

            > True, but I was talking about the movie-going public of today,
            not
            > specifically the silent film fan base here in America. The silent
            > film fan base already appreciates Brooksie very much, but not
            the
            > general movie-going public; anything that's not made for
            today's
            > taste is held in high regard. Europeans on the other hand, not
            only
            > view today's films, but enjoy the classics of the past, including
            > silent films. That's why I posted the comment; Europeans
            appreciate
            > silent films more than the average American does. It's a
            reflection
            > of our times, really.
            >
            > -Dario.

          • KarenUK
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 24, 2009
              Bristol, England (where I live) is doing a Silent Film Festival at the
              moment. About two years ago, they had another where I saw Pandora's Box in a
              theatre on a big screen with a live orchestra doing the music!

              Karen (UK).

              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 6, 2009
                Did you go see it, Karen?

                -Dario.

                --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, "KarenUK"
                <nhbr22476@...> wrote:

                > Bristol, England (where I live) is doing a Silent Film Festival at
                the
                > moment. About two years ago, they had another where I saw
                Pandora's Box in a
                > theatre on a big screen with a live orchestra doing the music!
                >
                > Karen (UK).

              • KarenUK
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 6, 2009
                  Not to this year's, but I saw Pandora's Box & loved it.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 11, 2009
                    Well, that's what I meant, Karen, about seeing PANDORA'S BOX(1929).