Re: Lulu in The Guardian

    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 23, 2009
      Nice to see Brooksie get a mention from the Guardian. At least
      Europeans like the British appreciate silent film performers like
      Louise, not like the rest of America, who could give a (blank) about
      silent film. Shame on the U.S.A.!

      > http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2009/jan/21/female-icons-
      cinema/print

    • das_imperator
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 24, 2009
        To be fair you might want to check the member list of this and your
        Clara Bow group before making such a blanket statement. I'm sure the
        good old USA is fairly well represented in silent movie fandom. Most
        of the books and DVDs that cover the silent period come out of the US
        market and do so because there are buyers for them.

        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 24, 2009
          True, but I was talking about the movie-going public of today, not
          specifically the silent film fan base here in America. The silent
          film fan base already appreciates Brooksie very much, but not the
          general movie-going public; anything that's not made for today's
          taste is held in high regard. Europeans on the other hand, not only
          view today's films, but enjoy the classics of the past, including
          silent films. That's why I posted the comment; Europeans appreciate
          silent films more than the average American does. It's a reflection
          of our times, really.

          -Dario.

          --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, "das_imperator"
          <dasimperator@...> wrote:

          > To be fair you might want to check the member list of this and your
          > Clara Bow group before making such a blanket statement. I'm sure the
          > good old USA is fairly well represented in silent movie fandom. Most
          > of the books and DVDs that cover the silent period come out of the
          US
          > market and do so because there are buyers for them.

          > > Nice to see Brooksie get a mention from the Guardian. At least
          > > Europeans like the British appreciate silent film performers like
          > > Louise, not like the rest of America, who could give a (blank)
          about
          > > silent film. Shame on the U.S.A.!
          > >
          > > -Dario.
          > >

          > > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, olive_e_thomas
          > > <no_reply@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2009/jan/21/female-icons-
          > > cinema/print

        • ioracara
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 24, 2009
            Like das impersonator, I have to disagree with this. I have traveled
            extensively in Europe, and there does not seem to be any greater
            popular appreciation for silent films than here in the U.S. The only
            country I've seen that has an appreciation for those films is possibly
            France, and they also seem to be the only one with any organized
            groups trying to preserve silents . . . but only a couple, and they
            are government sponsored.

            Here, however, we have a great number of groups dedicated to
            preserving old films, and most are publicly and corporately sponsored,
            as well as by the government. We have the LOC, but also the Eastman
            House, the AFI, Turner Classics, Kino, Criterion, UCLA, and on and on.
            I have no concrete info to make this next statement, but via
            observation I firmly believe more silent films have been preserved
            through American efforts than the rest of the world combined.

            Germany has no such groups, nor does Britain. Italy has enough trouble
            just being Italy. And Eastern Europe? Not at all.

            Furthermore, I know of theaters in at least three U.S. different
            cities that regularly show silent films, including one in Los Angeles
            that shows nothing BUT silent films. Even France cannot claim that.

            Grass is often greener on the other side, but in this case I think the
            original statement was incorrect in its assumption. Even though it's
            easy to make such claims, not everything in Europe is better than in
            the U.S.

            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 24, 2009
              Actually much of the crap movies made here are done so with an
              eye to being able to sell them in the European market. The
              pleathora of minimalist dialogue 'action' pictures are made
              because Europeans hate reading subtitles as much as
              Americans do.

              It's the same reason techno music is popular over there. Songs
              where the lryics don't really matter sell better in a multilinqual
              market.

              As for silent movies, they sell better when you can adapt the title
              cards to the language of the country you're showing them in so
              naturally they'll get programmed more in Europe than the US.

              Also the economics and politics of European cinema are such
              that each nation demands a certain amount of 'national' content
              so small budget dialog-rich pictures are more easily made
              there.

              We have a market of about 300 million which tends to support
              the production of big budget pictures.

              One might suspect that because europe has so many different
              nationalities with their own social strata they'll have a larger base
              of the intellectual type that appreciates cinema than a large
              country like ours. Someone once noted that Switzerland has a
              population the size of Chicago that because it's broken up into
              numerous cities, towns and villages supports dozens of different
              newspapers while Chicago can only support a couple due to the
              economy of scale.

              nutsaboutclara <no_reply@...> wrote:

              > True, but I was talking about the movie-going public of today,
              not
              > specifically the silent film fan base here in America. The silent
              > film fan base already appreciates Brooksie very much, but not
              the
              > general movie-going public; anything that's not made for
              today's
              > taste is held in high regard. Europeans on the other hand, not
              only
              > view today's films, but enjoy the classics of the past, including
              > silent films. That's why I posted the comment; Europeans
              appreciate
              > silent films more than the average American does. It's a
              reflection
              > of our times, really.
              >
              > -Dario.

            • KarenUK
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 24, 2009
                Bristol, England (where I live) is doing a Silent Film Festival at the
                moment. About two years ago, they had another where I saw Pandora's Box in a
                theatre on a big screen with a live orchestra doing the music!

                Karen (UK).

                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 6, 2009
                  Did you go see it, Karen?

                  -Dario.

                  --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, "KarenUK"
                  <nhbr22476@...> wrote:

                  > Bristol, England (where I live) is doing a Silent Film Festival at
                  the
                  > moment. About two years ago, they had another where I saw
                  Pandora's Box in a
                  > theatre on a big screen with a live orchestra doing the music!
                  >
                  > Karen (UK).

                • KarenUK
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 6, 2009
                    Not to this year's, but I saw Pandora's Box & loved it.

                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 11, 2009
                      Well, that's what I meant, Karen, about seeing PANDORA'S BOX(1929).