Re: Lulu in The Guardian

  • das_imperator
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 22, 2009
      --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, "ioracara"
      <ioracara@...> wrote:

      > Interesting list, but a possible error in Brooksie's section. I have
      > never seen anything that suggests she and Pabst were lovers, and
      > especially in anything I've read that Louise wrote herself. What hat did
      > this Rachel Millward pull that out of? Is there anything out there I
      > missed that supports this?

      Not so much from a hat as from a helmet...

      From "The Girl in the Black Helmet" by Kenneth Tynan

      From the fattest of all her files, Brooks now pulled out a two-shot.
      Beaming in a cloche hat, she stands arm in arm with a stocky,
      self-possessed man in a homburg. He also wears steel-rimmed glasses, a
      bow tie, and a well-cut business suit; you would guess he was in his
      early forties. "Mr. Pabst," she said simply. "That was 1928, in
      Berlin, while we were making Pandora's Box. As I told you, I arrived
      with George Marshall, and Mr. Pabst hated him, because he kept me up
      all night, going round the clubs. A few weeks later, George went back
      to the States, and after that Mr. Pabst locked me up in my hotel when
      the day's shooting was finished. Everyone thought he was in love with
      me. On the rare evenings when I went to his apartment for dinner, his
      wife, Trudi, would walk out and bang the door. Mr. Pabst was a highly
      respectable man, but he had the most extraordinary collection of
      obscene stills in the world. He even had one of Sarah Bernhardt nude
      with a black-lace fan. Did you know that in the twenties it was the
      custom for European actresses to send naked pictures of themselves to
      movie directors? He had all of them. Anyway, I didn't have an affair
      with him in Berlin. In 1929, though, when he was in Paris trying to
      set up Prix de BeautŽ, we went out to dinner at a restaurant and I
      behaved rather outrageously. For some reason, I slapped a close friend
      of mine across the face with a bouquet of roses. Mr. Pabst was
      horrified. He hustled me out of the place and took me back to my
      hotel, where - what do I do? I'm in a terrific mood, so I decide to
      banish his disgust by giving the best sexual performance of my career.
      I jump into the hay and deliver myself to him body and soul. [Her
      voice is jubilant.] He acted as if he'd never experienced such a thing
      in his life. You know how men want to pin medals on themselves when
      they excite you? They get positively radiant. Next morning, Mr. Pabst
      was so pleased he couldn't see straight. That was why he postponed
      Prix de BeautŽ and arranged to make The Diary of a Lost Girl first. He
      wanted the affair to continue. But I didn't, and when I got to Berlin
      it was like Pandora's Box all over again, except that this time the
      man I brought with me was the Eskimo - my white headed boy from Zelli's."

      © Kenneth Tynan Estate

      This article originally appeared in The New Yorker in 1979.

      This text taken from: Show People: Profiles in Entertainment by
      Kenneth Tynan, published by Weidenfeld and Nicolson, London, 1980
    • ioracara
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 22, 2009
        Welllllll OK. But I'm only awarding half a point.

        The wording in The Guardian implies she was Pabst's lover when she
        went off to Germany, when in reality she didn't even know who he was
        at the time.

        Also, I think the word "lover" is in error anyway. The Tynan piece
        seems to indicate a one-night performance, which I think defines a
        "fling" rather than a romance.

        But perhaps I'm splitting bobbed hairs.

        --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, "das_imperator"

        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 23, 2009
          Nice to see Brooksie get a mention from the Guardian. At least
          Europeans like the British appreciate silent film performers like
          Louise, not like the rest of America, who could give a (blank) about
          silent film. Shame on the U.S.A.!

          > http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2009/jan/21/female-icons-
          cinema/print

        • das_imperator
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 24, 2009
            To be fair you might want to check the member list of this and your
            Clara Bow group before making such a blanket statement. I'm sure the
            good old USA is fairly well represented in silent movie fandom. Most
            of the books and DVDs that cover the silent period come out of the US
            market and do so because there are buyers for them.

            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 24, 2009
              True, but I was talking about the movie-going public of today, not
              specifically the silent film fan base here in America. The silent
              film fan base already appreciates Brooksie very much, but not the
              general movie-going public; anything that's not made for today's
              taste is held in high regard. Europeans on the other hand, not only
              view today's films, but enjoy the classics of the past, including
              silent films. That's why I posted the comment; Europeans appreciate
              silent films more than the average American does. It's a reflection
              of our times, really.

              -Dario.

              <dasimperator@...> wrote:

              > To be fair you might want to check the member list of this and your
              > Clara Bow group before making such a blanket statement. I'm sure the
              > good old USA is fairly well represented in silent movie fandom. Most
              > of the books and DVDs that cover the silent period come out of the
              US
              > market and do so because there are buyers for them.

              > > Nice to see Brooksie get a mention from the Guardian. At least
              > > Europeans like the British appreciate silent film performers like
              > > Louise, not like the rest of America, who could give a (blank)
              about
              > > silent film. Shame on the U.S.A.!
              > >
              > > -Dario.
              > >

              > > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, olive_e_thomas
              > > <no_reply@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2009/jan/21/female-icons-
              > > cinema/print

            • ioracara
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 24, 2009
                Like das impersonator, I have to disagree with this. I have traveled
                extensively in Europe, and there does not seem to be any greater
                popular appreciation for silent films than here in the U.S. The only
                country I've seen that has an appreciation for those films is possibly
                France, and they also seem to be the only one with any organized
                groups trying to preserve silents . . . but only a couple, and they
                are government sponsored.

                Here, however, we have a great number of groups dedicated to
                preserving old films, and most are publicly and corporately sponsored,
                as well as by the government. We have the LOC, but also the Eastman
                House, the AFI, Turner Classics, Kino, Criterion, UCLA, and on and on.
                I have no concrete info to make this next statement, but via
                observation I firmly believe more silent films have been preserved
                through American efforts than the rest of the world combined.

                Germany has no such groups, nor does Britain. Italy has enough trouble
                just being Italy. And Eastern Europe? Not at all.

                Furthermore, I know of theaters in at least three U.S. different
                cities that regularly show silent films, including one in Los Angeles
                that shows nothing BUT silent films. Even France cannot claim that.

                Grass is often greener on the other side, but in this case I think the
                original statement was incorrect in its assumption. Even though it's
                easy to make such claims, not everything in Europe is better than in
                the U.S.

                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 24, 2009
                  Actually much of the crap movies made here are done so with an
                  eye to being able to sell them in the European market. The
                  pleathora of minimalist dialogue 'action' pictures are made
                  because Europeans hate reading subtitles as much as
                  Americans do.

                  It's the same reason techno music is popular over there. Songs
                  where the lryics don't really matter sell better in a multilinqual
                  market.

                  As for silent movies, they sell better when you can adapt the title
                  cards to the language of the country you're showing them in so
                  naturally they'll get programmed more in Europe than the US.

                  Also the economics and politics of European cinema are such
                  that each nation demands a certain amount of 'national' content
                  so small budget dialog-rich pictures are more easily made
                  there.

                  We have a market of about 300 million which tends to support
                  the production of big budget pictures.

                  One might suspect that because europe has so many different
                  nationalities with their own social strata they'll have a larger base
                  of the intellectual type that appreciates cinema than a large
                  country like ours. Someone once noted that Switzerland has a
                  population the size of Chicago that because it's broken up into
                  numerous cities, towns and villages supports dozens of different
                  newspapers while Chicago can only support a couple due to the
                  economy of scale.

                  nutsaboutclara <no_reply@...> wrote:

                  > True, but I was talking about the movie-going public of today,
                  not
                  > specifically the silent film fan base here in America. The silent
                  > film fan base already appreciates Brooksie very much, but not
                  the
                  > general movie-going public; anything that's not made for
                  today's
                  > taste is held in high regard. Europeans on the other hand, not
                  only
                  > view today's films, but enjoy the classics of the past, including
                  > silent films. That's why I posted the comment; Europeans
                  appreciate
                  > silent films more than the average American does. It's a
                  reflection
                  > of our times, really.
                  >
                  > -Dario.

                • KarenUK
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 24, 2009
                    Bristol, England (where I live) is doing a Silent Film Festival at the
                    moment. About two years ago, they had another where I saw Pandora's Box in a
                    theatre on a big screen with a live orchestra doing the music!

                    Karen (UK).

                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 6 10:45 AM
                      Did you go see it, Karen?

                      -Dario.

                      --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, "KarenUK"
                      <nhbr22476@...> wrote:

                      > Bristol, England (where I live) is doing a Silent Film Festival at
                      the
                      > moment. About two years ago, they had another where I saw
                      Pandora's Box in a
                      > theatre on a big screen with a live orchestra doing the music!
                      >
                      > Karen (UK).

                    • KarenUK
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 6 12:35 PM
                        Not to this year's, but I saw Pandora's Box & loved it.

                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 11 10:30 AM
                          Well, that's what I meant, Karen, about seeing PANDORA'S BOX(1929).