Re: Lulu in The Guardian

  • ioracara
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 22, 2009
      Interesting list, but a possible error in Brooksie's section. I have
      never seen anything that suggests she and Pabst were lovers, and
      especially in anything I've read that Louise wrote herself. What hat did
      this Rachel Millward pull that out of? Is there anything out there I
      missed that supports this?

      http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2009/jan/21/female-icons-cinema/p\
      rint

    • das_imperator
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 22, 2009
        --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, "ioracara"
        <ioracara@...> wrote:

        > Interesting list, but a possible error in Brooksie's section. I have
        > never seen anything that suggests she and Pabst were lovers, and
        > especially in anything I've read that Louise wrote herself. What hat did
        > this Rachel Millward pull that out of? Is there anything out there I
        > missed that supports this?

        Not so much from a hat as from a helmet...

        From "The Girl in the Black Helmet" by Kenneth Tynan

        From the fattest of all her files, Brooks now pulled out a two-shot.
        Beaming in a cloche hat, she stands arm in arm with a stocky,
        self-possessed man in a homburg. He also wears steel-rimmed glasses, a
        bow tie, and a well-cut business suit; you would guess he was in his
        early forties. "Mr. Pabst," she said simply. "That was 1928, in
        Berlin, while we were making Pandora's Box. As I told you, I arrived
        with George Marshall, and Mr. Pabst hated him, because he kept me up
        all night, going round the clubs. A few weeks later, George went back
        to the States, and after that Mr. Pabst locked me up in my hotel when
        the day's shooting was finished. Everyone thought he was in love with
        me. On the rare evenings when I went to his apartment for dinner, his
        wife, Trudi, would walk out and bang the door. Mr. Pabst was a highly
        respectable man, but he had the most extraordinary collection of
        obscene stills in the world. He even had one of Sarah Bernhardt nude
        with a black-lace fan. Did you know that in the twenties it was the
        custom for European actresses to send naked pictures of themselves to
        movie directors? He had all of them. Anyway, I didn't have an affair
        with him in Berlin. In 1929, though, when he was in Paris trying to
        set up Prix de BeautŽ, we went out to dinner at a restaurant and I
        behaved rather outrageously. For some reason, I slapped a close friend
        of mine across the face with a bouquet of roses. Mr. Pabst was
        horrified. He hustled me out of the place and took me back to my
        hotel, where - what do I do? I'm in a terrific mood, so I decide to
        banish his disgust by giving the best sexual performance of my career.
        I jump into the hay and deliver myself to him body and soul. [Her
        voice is jubilant.] He acted as if he'd never experienced such a thing
        in his life. You know how men want to pin medals on themselves when
        they excite you? They get positively radiant. Next morning, Mr. Pabst
        was so pleased he couldn't see straight. That was why he postponed
        Prix de BeautŽ and arranged to make The Diary of a Lost Girl first. He
        wanted the affair to continue. But I didn't, and when I got to Berlin
        it was like Pandora's Box all over again, except that this time the
        man I brought with me was the Eskimo - my white headed boy from Zelli's."

        © Kenneth Tynan Estate

        This article originally appeared in The New Yorker in 1979.

        This text taken from: Show People: Profiles in Entertainment by
        Kenneth Tynan, published by Weidenfeld and Nicolson, London, 1980
      • ioracara
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 22, 2009
          Welllllll OK. But I'm only awarding half a point.

          The wording in The Guardian implies she was Pabst's lover when she
          went off to Germany, when in reality she didn't even know who he was
          at the time.

          Also, I think the word "lover" is in error anyway. The Tynan piece
          seems to indicate a one-night performance, which I think defines a
          "fling" rather than a romance.

          But perhaps I'm splitting bobbed hairs.

          --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, "das_imperator"

          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 23, 2009
            Nice to see Brooksie get a mention from the Guardian. At least
            Europeans like the British appreciate silent film performers like
            Louise, not like the rest of America, who could give a (blank) about
            silent film. Shame on the U.S.A.!

            > http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2009/jan/21/female-icons-
            cinema/print

          • das_imperator
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 24, 2009
              To be fair you might want to check the member list of this and your
              Clara Bow group before making such a blanket statement. I'm sure the
              good old USA is fairly well represented in silent movie fandom. Most
              of the books and DVDs that cover the silent period come out of the US
              market and do so because there are buyers for them.

              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 24, 2009
                True, but I was talking about the movie-going public of today, not
                specifically the silent film fan base here in America. The silent
                film fan base already appreciates Brooksie very much, but not the
                general movie-going public; anything that's not made for today's
                taste is held in high regard. Europeans on the other hand, not only
                view today's films, but enjoy the classics of the past, including
                silent films. That's why I posted the comment; Europeans appreciate
                silent films more than the average American does. It's a reflection
                of our times, really.

                -Dario.

                <dasimperator@...> wrote:

                > To be fair you might want to check the member list of this and your
                > Clara Bow group before making such a blanket statement. I'm sure the
                > good old USA is fairly well represented in silent movie fandom. Most
                > of the books and DVDs that cover the silent period come out of the
                US
                > market and do so because there are buyers for them.

                > > Nice to see Brooksie get a mention from the Guardian. At least
                > > Europeans like the British appreciate silent film performers like
                > > Louise, not like the rest of America, who could give a (blank)
                about
                > > silent film. Shame on the U.S.A.!
                > >
                > > -Dario.
                > >

                > > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, olive_e_thomas
                > > <no_reply@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2009/jan/21/female-icons-
                > > cinema/print

              • ioracara
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 24, 2009
                  Like das impersonator, I have to disagree with this. I have traveled
                  extensively in Europe, and there does not seem to be any greater
                  popular appreciation for silent films than here in the U.S. The only
                  country I've seen that has an appreciation for those films is possibly
                  France, and they also seem to be the only one with any organized
                  groups trying to preserve silents . . . but only a couple, and they
                  are government sponsored.

                  Here, however, we have a great number of groups dedicated to
                  preserving old films, and most are publicly and corporately sponsored,
                  as well as by the government. We have the LOC, but also the Eastman
                  House, the AFI, Turner Classics, Kino, Criterion, UCLA, and on and on.
                  I have no concrete info to make this next statement, but via
                  observation I firmly believe more silent films have been preserved
                  through American efforts than the rest of the world combined.

                  Germany has no such groups, nor does Britain. Italy has enough trouble
                  just being Italy. And Eastern Europe? Not at all.

                  Furthermore, I know of theaters in at least three U.S. different
                  cities that regularly show silent films, including one in Los Angeles
                  that shows nothing BUT silent films. Even France cannot claim that.

                  Grass is often greener on the other side, but in this case I think the
                  original statement was incorrect in its assumption. Even though it's
                  easy to make such claims, not everything in Europe is better than in
                  the U.S.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 24, 2009
                    Actually much of the crap movies made here are done so with an
                    eye to being able to sell them in the European market. The
                    pleathora of minimalist dialogue 'action' pictures are made
                    because Europeans hate reading subtitles as much as
                    Americans do.

                    It's the same reason techno music is popular over there. Songs
                    where the lryics don't really matter sell better in a multilinqual
                    market.

                    As for silent movies, they sell better when you can adapt the title
                    cards to the language of the country you're showing them in so
                    naturally they'll get programmed more in Europe than the US.

                    Also the economics and politics of European cinema are such
                    that each nation demands a certain amount of 'national' content
                    so small budget dialog-rich pictures are more easily made
                    there.

                    We have a market of about 300 million which tends to support
                    the production of big budget pictures.

                    One might suspect that because europe has so many different
                    nationalities with their own social strata they'll have a larger base
                    of the intellectual type that appreciates cinema than a large
                    country like ours. Someone once noted that Switzerland has a
                    population the size of Chicago that because it's broken up into
                    numerous cities, towns and villages supports dozens of different
                    newspapers while Chicago can only support a couple due to the
                    economy of scale.

                    nutsaboutclara <no_reply@...> wrote:

                    > True, but I was talking about the movie-going public of today,
                    not
                    > specifically the silent film fan base here in America. The silent
                    > film fan base already appreciates Brooksie very much, but not
                    the
                    > general movie-going public; anything that's not made for
                    today's
                    > taste is held in high regard. Europeans on the other hand, not
                    only
                    > view today's films, but enjoy the classics of the past, including
                    > silent films. That's why I posted the comment; Europeans
                    appreciate
                    > silent films more than the average American does. It's a
                    reflection
                    > of our times, really.
                    >
                    > -Dario.

                  • KarenUK
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 24, 2009
                      Bristol, England (where I live) is doing a Silent Film Festival at the
                      moment. About two years ago, they had another where I saw Pandora's Box in a
                      theatre on a big screen with a live orchestra doing the music!

                      Karen (UK).

                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 6, 2009
                        Did you go see it, Karen?

                        -Dario.

                        --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, "KarenUK"
                        <nhbr22476@...> wrote:

                        > Bristol, England (where I live) is doing a Silent Film Festival at
                        the
                        > moment. About two years ago, they had another where I saw
                        Pandora's Box in a
                        > theatre on a big screen with a live orchestra doing the music!
                        >
                        > Karen (UK).

                      • KarenUK
                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 6, 2009
                          Not to this year's, but I saw Pandora's Box & loved it.

                          Message 12 of 13 , Feb 11, 2009
                            Well, that's what I meant, Karen, about seeing PANDORA'S BOX(1929).