Fron the Rochester Democrat & Chronicle

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 21, 2008
      http://www.democratandchronicle.com/article/20081121/LIVING0107/811210315/106\
      5/ENT04

      November 21, 2008

      Louise Brooks, star of the silent era, made plenty of noise in Hollywood

      "There is no Garbo, there is no Dietrich, there is only Louise Brooks!" That's what
      famed French film curator Henry Langlois once put on a giant banner to welcome
      Brooks to a Paris tribute. And, indeed, there are people who credit Brooks with being
      among the first great naturalistic actors in film history, as well as one of the most
      utterly sensual, even by today's standards.

      The Kansas-born Brooks had a colorful, exotic life that took her from the Ziegfeld
      Follies in New York to Hollywood, and eventually to Berlin and Paris, and notoriously
      counted among her many lovers Charlie Chaplin, William S. Paley, George Marshall
      (of Washington Redskins fame), director Eddie Sutherland and so many more.
      However, she spent her last decades as Rochester's most famous recluse, living in
      a small apartment at 7 N. Goodman St. She had come to Rochester at the behest of
      Eastman House archivist and lifelong fan Jim Card in the late 1950s, and stayed.

      A 1979 New Yorker profile by Kenneth Tynan led to a major Brooks revival,
      culminating in the publication of her brilliantly written memoirs, Lulu in Hollywood.
      And, I hasten to add, after interviewing her about her relationship with John Wayne,
      upon his death in 1979, Brooks and I became good friends. The actress died here in
      1985 and is buried in Holy Sepulchre Cemetery.

      I bring this up because on Tuesday, the Dryden Theatre at George Eastman House
      is presenting one of Brooks' greatest films, Diary of a Lost Girl. Released in 1929,
      the film marked Brooks' second of two collaborations with the famed German
      filmmaker, G.W. Pabst. The first was Pandora's Box, in which her portrait of Lulu
      became the stuff of legend.

      Brooks had fled to Germany with her lover, Marshall, in part to escape media
      attention in the States, and also in a huff because she'd been rudely dismissed by
      Hollywood. (The studios tried to suggest Brooks didn't have a good enough voice
      with the arrival of sound. Hogwash. In truth, her rebellious intelligence and
      impetuous nature scared them off. Brooks joked that she would sometimes freak out
      actors and filmmakers by being the only person on the set to be reading a book.)

      It's somehow fitting that her flight to Europe led to her three greatest films: the two
      Pabst films and Augusto Genina's French gem, Prix de Beauté. Any chance to see
      any of them should be embraced.

      Brooks plays a pharmacist's daughter who is sexually compromised by a clerk in the
      family store. Rejected by her family, she ends up in a brothel, and eventually weds a
      count. But then, her past catches up with her. Like Pandora's Box, Diary of Lost Girl
      is a surprisingly explicit masterpiece whose implied erotic qualities still sizzle. The 8
      p.m. screening is of a print restored by the Cineteca di Bologna, and includes seven
      minutes of previously censored footage never seen in the United States. Philip C.
      Carli will provide piano music.
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 22, 2008
        I hope this showing of DIARY OF A LOST GIRL(1929)is well-attended.
        She deserves the respect and praise.