Re: [The New Coven of Louise Brooks] Anniversary

  • Peter
    Message 1 of 30 , Sep 3, 2008
      olive_e_thomas wrote:
      > I'd seen Gods Gift on TCM a few years back but couldn't make out Brooksie in it.

      I think she got 5th billing or thereabout. I think I noticed her in the
      opening scene even although there were three women in that shot with the
      same hairstyle :)

      > I have the following movies on tape;
      >
      > The Show Off (off air recording from TCM)
      > Beggars of Life (Grapevine edition)
      > Diary of a Lost Girl (Grapevine edition
      > Love 'em & Leave 'em (Grapevine edition)
      > Pandora's Box (Video Dimensions edition)

      Hm I have a couple 100 tapes stored, not sure if there is anything from
      her on those actually. Loads of old stuff recorded from tv in the early
      80s.

      > Also have the Hollywood Mysteries & Scandals premiere episode profiling Louise
      > Brooks as well as the TCM Louise Brooks documentary

      No never heard of that. Mind you, there is no such thing as TCM here, at
      least not anymore.
      > Incedentally there was a syndicated game show in the the 90s called something like
      > 'Grudge Match' that featured in its bumpers a show of Louise Brooks slapping some
      > dude. Looked like it might've come from 'A Social Celebrity' though I'm only going
      > from stills since I haven't seen that movie.

      I don't know it by heart actually and I don't think we got many american
      game shows on tv here.
      Lots of other game shows though, most of them mass entertainment
      actually, not worth much.
      > Also... In the files section is an audio recording of Louise Brooks' commentary about
      > Clara Bow in the documentary series 'Hollywood'.

      Ah I got that set on vhs. Meant to get it on DVD when it got out but it
      had a very short run I heard.
      those copyright arguments are the death of silent film if you ask me.
      Look what happened to Abel Gance's Napoleon and its two scores.

      Message 2 of 30 , Sep 10, 2008
        Olive, I heard the film is a real stinker. How bad is it, really?

        > I'd seen Gods Gift on TCM a few years back but couldn't make out
        Brooksie in it.

        > I have the following movies on tape;
        >
        > The Show Off (off air recording from TCM)
        > Beggars of Life (Grapevine edition)
        > Diary of a Lost Girl (Grapevine edition
        > Love 'em & Leave 'em (Grapevine edition)
        > Pandora's Box (Video Dimensions edition)
        >
        > Also have the Hollywood Mysteries & Scandals premiere episode
        profiling Louise
        > Brooks as well as the TCM Louise Brooks documentary
        >
        > Incedentally there was a syndicated game show in the the 90s called
        something like
        > 'Grudge Match' that featured in its bumpers a show of Louise Brooks
        slapping some
        > dude. Looked like it might've come from 'A Social Celebrity' though
        I'm only going
        > from stills since I haven't seen that movie.
        >
        > Might've also spotted similar clip in the intro to show 'Men
        Behaving Badly'...

        > Also... In the files section is an audio recording of Louise
        Brooks' commentary about
        > Clara Bow in the documentary series 'Hollywood'.

        .mp3

        <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0022565/>
        <http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0046932/>
        <http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0046933/>
        <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0017082/>
        <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0016403/>

        Message 3 of 30 , Sep 11, 2008
          Like Rita Sever* used to say on the old Friday Night Videos
          show...

          OK, if you're desparate to see a movie...

          * http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005411/