Re: [The New Coven of Louise Brooks] Anniversary

  • Melissa Staats
    Message 1 of 30 , Sep 3, 2008
      I've seem it once.
      Melissa

      olive_e_thomas <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
      I'd seen Gods Gift on TCM a few years back but couldn't make out Brooksie in it.

      I have the following movies on tape;

      The Show Off (off air recording from TCM)
      Beggars of Life (Grapevine edition)
      Diary of a Lost Girl (Grapevine edition
      Love 'em & Leave 'em (Grapevine edition)
      Pandora's Box (Video Dimensions edition)

      Also have the Hollywood Mysteries & Scandals premiere episode profiling Louise
      Brooks as well as the TCM Louise Brooks documentary

      Incedentally there was a syndicated game show in the the 90s called something like
      'Grudge Match' that featured in its bumpers a show of Louise Brooks slapping some
      dude. Looked like it might've come from 'A Social Celebrity' though I'm only going
      from stills since I haven't seen that movie.

      Might've also spotted similar clip in the intro to show 'Men Behaving Badly'...

      Also... In the files section is an audio recording of Louise Brooks' commentary about
      Clara Bow in the documentary series 'Hollywood'.

      --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Peter <twilight@...> wrote:

> [...]
      >
      > Simply ticking off titles here:
      >
      > Out of the 26 listed on the IMDB 2 of them had her scenes deleted.
      > From those 24 I currently have:
      >
      > its the old army game
      > the show off
      > a girl in every port
      > beggars of life
      > the canary murder case
      > tagebuch einer verlorene
      > overland stage raiders
      > gods gift to women
      > die buchse der pandora
      >
      > which leaves out these 15 titles including two uncredited.
      >
      > 1. When You're in Love <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0029761/> (1937)
      > (uncredited) .... Chorus Girl
      > 2. Empty Saddles <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0027571/> (1936) ....
      > 'Boots' Boone
      > 3. Who's Who in the Zoo <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0773181/> (1931)
      > 4. Windy Riley Goes Hollywood <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0022565/>
      > (1931) .... Betty Grey
      > 5. It Pays to Advertise <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0022006/> (1931)
      > .... Thelma Temple
      > 6. Prix de beauté (Miss Europe)
      > <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0021273/> (1930) .... Lucienne
      > Garnier <http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0046931/>
      > <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0018737/>
      > 7. The City Gone Wild <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0017755/> (1927)
      > .... Snuggles Joy
      > 8. Now We're in the Air <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0018211/> (1927)
      > .... Griselle/Grisette
      > 9. Rolled Stockings <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0018335/> (1927)
      > .... Carol Fleming <http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0046932/>
      > 10. Evening Clothes <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0017856/> (1927) ....
      > Fox Trot
      > 11. Just Another Blonde <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0017013/> (1926)
      > .... Diana O'Sullivan
      > 12. A Social Celebrity <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0017411/> (1926)
      > .... Kitty Laverne <http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0046933/>
      > 13. Love 'Em and Leave 'Em <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0017082/>
      > (1926) .... Janie Walsh
      > 14. The American Venus <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0016603/> (1926)
      > .... Miss Bayport
      > 15. The Street of Forgotten Men <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0016403/>
      > (1925) (uncredited) .... A moll
      >

      > I'm almost sure Prix is available but what about the others?
      > Anyone seen any of those around?
      >
      > Peter
      >
      > Which might mean I need to update the cover to a 10 or 12 case or make a
      > second one.
      >

      > olive_e_thomas wrote:
      > > Well we just closed on a hollowed-out volcano fortress on this
      > > island in the Pacific that's guarded by sharks with Frikkin^(TM)
      > > LASER beams attached to their heads...
      > >
      > > Got a good deal from Crocker Bank when Blofeld defaulted on
      > > the mortgage...
      > >
      > > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com,
      > > nutsaboutclara <no_reply@> wrote:
      > >
      > >> Don't you mean, "Meanwhile, back at the BatCave...."

    • Peter
      Message 2 of 30 , Sep 3, 2008
        olive_e_thomas wrote:
        > I'd seen Gods Gift on TCM a few years back but couldn't make out Brooksie in it.

        I think she got 5th billing or thereabout. I think I noticed her in the
        opening scene even although there were three women in that shot with the
        same hairstyle :)

        > I have the following movies on tape;
        >
        > The Show Off (off air recording from TCM)
        > Beggars of Life (Grapevine edition)
        > Diary of a Lost Girl (Grapevine edition
        > Love 'em & Leave 'em (Grapevine edition)
        > Pandora's Box (Video Dimensions edition)

        Hm I have a couple 100 tapes stored, not sure if there is anything from
        her on those actually. Loads of old stuff recorded from tv in the early
        80s.

        > Also have the Hollywood Mysteries & Scandals premiere episode profiling Louise
        > Brooks as well as the TCM Louise Brooks documentary

        No never heard of that. Mind you, there is no such thing as TCM here, at
        least not anymore.
        > Incedentally there was a syndicated game show in the the 90s called something like
        > 'Grudge Match' that featured in its bumpers a show of Louise Brooks slapping some
        > dude. Looked like it might've come from 'A Social Celebrity' though I'm only going
        > from stills since I haven't seen that movie.

        I don't know it by heart actually and I don't think we got many american
        game shows on tv here.
        Lots of other game shows though, most of them mass entertainment
        actually, not worth much.
        > Also... In the files section is an audio recording of Louise Brooks' commentary about
        > Clara Bow in the documentary series 'Hollywood'.

        Ah I got that set on vhs. Meant to get it on DVD when it got out but it
        had a very short run I heard.
        those copyright arguments are the death of silent film if you ask me.
        Look what happened to Abel Gance's Napoleon and its two scores.

        Message 3 of 30 , Sep 10, 2008
          Olive, I heard the film is a real stinker. How bad is it, really?

          > I'd seen Gods Gift on TCM a few years back but couldn't make out
          Brooksie in it.

          > I have the following movies on tape;
          >
          > The Show Off (off air recording from TCM)
          > Beggars of Life (Grapevine edition)
          > Diary of a Lost Girl (Grapevine edition
          > Love 'em & Leave 'em (Grapevine edition)
          > Pandora's Box (Video Dimensions edition)
          >
          > Also have the Hollywood Mysteries & Scandals premiere episode
          profiling Louise
          > Brooks as well as the TCM Louise Brooks documentary
          >
          > Incedentally there was a syndicated game show in the the 90s called
          something like
          > 'Grudge Match' that featured in its bumpers a show of Louise Brooks
          slapping some
          > dude. Looked like it might've come from 'A Social Celebrity' though
          I'm only going
          > from stills since I haven't seen that movie.
          >
          > Might've also spotted similar clip in the intro to show 'Men
          Behaving Badly'...

          > Also... In the files section is an audio recording of Louise
          Brooks' commentary about
          > Clara Bow in the documentary series 'Hollywood'.

          .mp3

          Message 4 of 30 , Sep 11, 2008
            Like Rita Sever* used to say on the old Friday Night Videos
            show...

            OK, if you're desparate to see a movie...

            * http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005411/