Re: [The New Coven of Louise Brooks] Anniversary

    Message 1 of 30 , Sep 2, 2008
      Well we just closed on a hollowed-out volcano fortress on this
      island in the Pacific that's guarded by sharks with Frikkin™
      LASER beams attached to their heads...

      Got a good deal from Crocker Bank when Blofeld defaulted on
      the mortgage...

      nutsaboutclara <no_reply@...> wrote:

      > Don't you mean, "Meanwhile, back at the BatCave...."
      >
      > -Dario.
      >

      > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Peter
      > <twilight@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Meanwhile.. back at the Lab :)

    • Peter
      Message 2 of 30 , Sep 3, 2008
        Did that include the white cat as well ?

        Meanwhile.. I ran into Gods Gift To Women the other day.
        Haven't seen it yet but its one of her later movies and she's down to
        supporting roles.

        Simply ticking off titles here:

        Out of the 26 listed on the IMDB 2 of them had her scenes deleted.
        From those 24 I currently have:

        its the old army game
        the show off
        a girl in every port
        beggars of life
        the canary murder case
        tagebuch einer verlorene
        overland stage raiders
        gods gift to women
        die buchse der pandora

        which leaves out these 15 titles including two uncredited.

        1. When You're in Love <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0029761/> (1937)
        (uncredited) .... Chorus Girl
        2. Empty Saddles <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0027571/> (1936) ....
        'Boots' Boone
        3. Who's Who in the Zoo <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0773181/> (1931)
        4. Windy Riley Goes Hollywood <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0022565/>
        (1931) .... Betty Grey
        5. It Pays to Advertise <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0022006/> (1931)
        .... Thelma Temple
        6. Prix de beauté (Miss Europe)
        <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0021273/> (1930) .... Lucienne
        Garnier <http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0046931/>
        <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0018737/>
        7. The City Gone Wild <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0017755/> (1927)
        .... Snuggles Joy
        8. Now We're in the Air <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0018211/> (1927)
        .... Griselle/Grisette
        9. Rolled Stockings <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0018335/> (1927)
        .... Carol Fleming <http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0046932/>
        10. Evening Clothes <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0017856/> (1927) ....
        Fox Trot
        11. Just Another Blonde <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0017013/> (1926)
        .... Diana O'Sullivan
        12. A Social Celebrity <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0017411/> (1926)
        .... Kitty Laverne <http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0046933/>
        13. Love 'Em and Leave 'Em <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0017082/>
        (1926) .... Janie Walsh
        14. The American Venus <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0016603/> (1926)
        .... Miss Bayport
        15. The Street of Forgotten Men <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0016403/>
        (1925) (uncredited) .... A moll

        I'm almost sure Prix is available but what about the others?
        Anyone seen any of those around?

        Peter

        Which might mean I need to update the cover to a 10 or 12 case or make a
        second one.

        Message 3 of 30 , Sep 3, 2008
          I'd seen Gods Gift on TCM a few years back but couldn't make out Brooksie in it.

          I have the following movies on tape;

          The Show Off (off air recording from TCM)
          Beggars of Life (Grapevine edition)
          Diary of a Lost Girl (Grapevine edition
          Love 'em & Leave 'em (Grapevine edition)
          Pandora's Box (Video Dimensions edition)

          Also have the Hollywood Mysteries & Scandals premiere episode profiling Louise
          Brooks as well as the TCM Louise Brooks documentary

          Incedentally there was a syndicated game show in the the 90s called something like
          'Grudge Match' that featured in its bumpers a show of Louise Brooks slapping some
          dude. Looked like it might've come from 'A Social Celebrity' though I'm only going
          from stills since I haven't seen that movie.

          Might've also spotted similar clip in the intro to show 'Men Behaving Badly'...

          Also... In the files section is an audio recording of Louise Brooks' commentary about
          Clara Bow in the documentary series 'Hollywood'.

        • Melissa Staats
          Message 4 of 30 , Sep 3, 2008
            I've seem it once.
            Melissa

            olive_e_thomas <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
> [...]

            > .... Miss Bayport
            > 15. The Street of Forgotten Men <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0016403/>
            > (1925) (uncredited) .... A moll
            >

            > I'm almost sure Prix is available but what about the others?
            > Anyone seen any of those around?
            >
            > Peter
            >
            > Which might mean I need to update the cover to a 10 or 12 case or make a
            > second one.
            >

            > olive_e_thomas wrote:
            > > Well we just closed on a hollowed-out volcano fortress on this
            > > island in the Pacific that's guarded by sharks with Frikkin^(TM)
            > > LASER beams attached to their heads...
            > >
            > > Got a good deal from Crocker Bank when Blofeld defaulted on
            > > the mortgage...
            > >
            > > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com,
            > > nutsaboutclara <no_reply@> wrote:
            > >
            > >> Don't you mean, "Meanwhile, back at the BatCave...."

          • Peter
            Message 5 of 30 , Sep 3, 2008
              olive_e_thomas wrote:
              > I'd seen Gods Gift on TCM a few years back but couldn't make out Brooksie in it.

              I think she got 5th billing or thereabout. I think I noticed her in the
              opening scene even although there were three women in that shot with the
              same hairstyle :)

              > I have the following movies on tape;
              >
              > The Show Off (off air recording from TCM)
              > Beggars of Life (Grapevine edition)
              > Diary of a Lost Girl (Grapevine edition
              > Love 'em & Leave 'em (Grapevine edition)
              > Pandora's Box (Video Dimensions edition)

              Hm I have a couple 100 tapes stored, not sure if there is anything from
              her on those actually. Loads of old stuff recorded from tv in the early
              80s.

              > Also have the Hollywood Mysteries & Scandals premiere episode profiling Louise
              > Brooks as well as the TCM Louise Brooks documentary

              No never heard of that. Mind you, there is no such thing as TCM here, at
              least not anymore.
              > Incedentally there was a syndicated game show in the the 90s called something like
              > 'Grudge Match' that featured in its bumpers a show of Louise Brooks slapping some
              > dude. Looked like it might've come from 'A Social Celebrity' though I'm only going
              > from stills since I haven't seen that movie.

              I don't know it by heart actually and I don't think we got many american
              game shows on tv here.
              Lots of other game shows though, most of them mass entertainment
              actually, not worth much.
              > Also... In the files section is an audio recording of Louise Brooks' commentary about
              > Clara Bow in the documentary series 'Hollywood'.

              Ah I got that set on vhs. Meant to get it on DVD when it got out but it
              had a very short run I heard.
              those copyright arguments are the death of silent film if you ask me.
              Look what happened to Abel Gance's Napoleon and its two scores.

              Message 6 of 30 , Sep 10, 2008
                Olive, I heard the film is a real stinker. How bad is it, really?

                > I'd seen Gods Gift on TCM a few years back but couldn't make out
                Brooksie in it.

                > I have the following movies on tape;
                >
                > The Show Off (off air recording from TCM)
                > Beggars of Life (Grapevine edition)
                > Diary of a Lost Girl (Grapevine edition
                > Love 'em & Leave 'em (Grapevine edition)
                > Pandora's Box (Video Dimensions edition)
                >
                > Also have the Hollywood Mysteries & Scandals premiere episode
                profiling Louise
                > Brooks as well as the TCM Louise Brooks documentary
                >
                > Incedentally there was a syndicated game show in the the 90s called
                something like
                > 'Grudge Match' that featured in its bumpers a show of Louise Brooks
                slapping some
                > dude. Looked like it might've come from 'A Social Celebrity' though
                I'm only going
                > from stills since I haven't seen that movie.
                >
                > Might've also spotted similar clip in the intro to show 'Men
                Behaving Badly'...

                > Also... In the files section is an audio recording of Louise
                Brooks' commentary about
                > Clara Bow in the documentary series 'Hollywood'.

                .mp3

                Message 7 of 30 , Sep 11, 2008
                  Like Rita Sever* used to say on the old Friday Night Videos
                  show...

                  OK, if you're desparate to see a movie...

                  * http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005411/