Re: [The New Coven of Louise Brooks] Anniversary

  • Peter
    Message 1 of 30 , Aug 21, 2008
      nutsaboutclara wrote:
      > True, very true.
      >
      > -Dario.

      Meanwhile.. back at the Lab :)

      I may have stirred something up I think. Not a bad thing actually.

      During the past few days I have been messing around with some photo
      editing software and the result can now be found at my website.
      http://thetwilightzone.xs4all.nl/dvdpreviews/index.html

      I turned it into a proper looking few pages tonight and added some more
      content.
      I welcome any input you people might have.

      Louise Brooks is there and so are Jean Harlow and Carole Lombard.
      And some others, albeit a nudge more off topic.

      Peter

      Message 2 of 30 , Aug 27, 2008
        Don't you mean, "Meanwhile, back at the BatCave...."

        -Dario.

        --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Peter

        Message 3 of 30 , Sep 2 6:42 PM
          Well we just closed on a hollowed-out volcano fortress on this
          island in the Pacific that's guarded by sharks with Frikkin™
          LASER beams attached to their heads...

          Got a good deal from Crocker Bank when Blofeld defaulted on
          the mortgage...

          nutsaboutclara <no_reply@...> wrote:

          > Don't you mean, "Meanwhile, back at the BatCave...."
          >
          > -Dario.
          >

          > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Peter
          > <twilight@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Meanwhile.. back at the Lab :)

        • Peter
          Message 4 of 30 , Sep 3 8:55 AM
            Did that include the white cat as well ?

            Meanwhile.. I ran into Gods Gift To Women the other day.
            Haven't seen it yet but its one of her later movies and she's down to
            supporting roles.

            Simply ticking off titles here:

            Out of the 26 listed on the IMDB 2 of them had her scenes deleted.
            From those 24 I currently have:

            its the old army game
            the show off
            a girl in every port
            beggars of life
            the canary murder case
            tagebuch einer verlorene
            overland stage raiders
            gods gift to women
            die buchse der pandora

            which leaves out these 15 titles including two uncredited.

            1. When You're in Love <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0029761/> (1937)
            (uncredited) .... Chorus Girl
            2. Empty Saddles <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0027571/> (1936) ....
            'Boots' Boone
            3. Who's Who in the Zoo <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0773181/> (1931)
            4. Windy Riley Goes Hollywood <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0022565/>
            (1931) .... Betty Grey
            5. It Pays to Advertise <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0022006/> (1931)
            .... Thelma Temple
            6. Prix de beauté (Miss Europe)
            <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0021273/> (1930) .... Lucienne
            Garnier <http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0046931/>
            <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0018737/>
            7. The City Gone Wild <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0017755/> (1927)
            .... Snuggles Joy
            8. Now We're in the Air <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0018211/> (1927)
            .... Griselle/Grisette
            9. Rolled Stockings <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0018335/> (1927)
            .... Carol Fleming <http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0046932/>
            10. Evening Clothes <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0017856/> (1927) ....
            Fox Trot
            11. Just Another Blonde <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0017013/> (1926)
            .... Diana O'Sullivan
            12. A Social Celebrity <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0017411/> (1926)
            .... Kitty Laverne <http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0046933/>
            13. Love 'Em and Leave 'Em <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0017082/>
            (1926) .... Janie Walsh
            14. The American Venus <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0016603/> (1926)
            .... Miss Bayport
            15. The Street of Forgotten Men <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0016403/>
            (1925) (uncredited) .... A moll

            I'm almost sure Prix is available but what about the others?
            Anyone seen any of those around?

            Peter

            Which might mean I need to update the cover to a 10 or 12 case or make a
            second one.

            Message 5 of 30 , Sep 3 1:32 PM
              I'd seen Gods Gift on TCM a few years back but couldn't make out Brooksie in it.

              I have the following movies on tape;

              The Show Off (off air recording from TCM)
              Beggars of Life (Grapevine edition)
              Diary of a Lost Girl (Grapevine edition
              Love 'em & Leave 'em (Grapevine edition)
              Pandora's Box (Video Dimensions edition)

              Also have the Hollywood Mysteries & Scandals premiere episode profiling Louise
              Brooks as well as the TCM Louise Brooks documentary

              Incedentally there was a syndicated game show in the the 90s called something like
              'Grudge Match' that featured in its bumpers a show of Louise Brooks slapping some
              dude. Looked like it might've come from 'A Social Celebrity' though I'm only going
              from stills since I haven't seen that movie.

              Might've also spotted similar clip in the intro to show 'Men Behaving Badly'...

              Also... In the files section is an audio recording of Louise Brooks' commentary about
              Clara Bow in the documentary series 'Hollywood'.

            • Melissa Staats
              Message 6 of 30 , Sep 3 2:30 PM
                I've seem it once.
                Melissa

                olive_e_thomas <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
> [...]

                > .... Miss Bayport
                > 15. The Street of Forgotten Men <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0016403/>
                > (1925) (uncredited) .... A moll
                >

                > I'm almost sure Prix is available but what about the others?
                > Anyone seen any of those around?
                >
                > Peter
                >
                > Which might mean I need to update the cover to a 10 or 12 case or make a
                > second one.
                >

                > olive_e_thomas wrote:
                > > Well we just closed on a hollowed-out volcano fortress on this
                > > island in the Pacific that's guarded by sharks with Frikkin^(TM)
                > > LASER beams attached to their heads...
                > >
                > > Got a good deal from Crocker Bank when Blofeld defaulted on
                > > the mortgage...
                > >
                > > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com,
                > > nutsaboutclara <no_reply@> wrote:
                > >
                > >> Don't you mean, "Meanwhile, back at the BatCave...."

              • Peter
                Message 7 of 30 , Sep 3 3:46 PM
                  olive_e_thomas wrote:
                  > I'd seen Gods Gift on TCM a few years back but couldn't make out Brooksie in it.

                  I think she got 5th billing or thereabout. I think I noticed her in the
                  opening scene even although there were three women in that shot with the
                  same hairstyle :)

                  > I have the following movies on tape;
                  >
                  > The Show Off (off air recording from TCM)
                  > Beggars of Life (Grapevine edition)
                  > Diary of a Lost Girl (Grapevine edition
                  > Love 'em & Leave 'em (Grapevine edition)
                  > Pandora's Box (Video Dimensions edition)

                  Hm I have a couple 100 tapes stored, not sure if there is anything from
                  her on those actually. Loads of old stuff recorded from tv in the early
                  80s.

                  > Also have the Hollywood Mysteries & Scandals premiere episode profiling Louise
                  > Brooks as well as the TCM Louise Brooks documentary

                  No never heard of that. Mind you, there is no such thing as TCM here, at
                  least not anymore.
                  > Incedentally there was a syndicated game show in the the 90s called something like
                  > 'Grudge Match' that featured in its bumpers a show of Louise Brooks slapping some
                  > dude. Looked like it might've come from 'A Social Celebrity' though I'm only going
                  > from stills since I haven't seen that movie.

                  I don't know it by heart actually and I don't think we got many american
                  game shows on tv here.
                  Lots of other game shows though, most of them mass entertainment
                  actually, not worth much.
                  > Also... In the files section is an audio recording of Louise Brooks' commentary about
                  > Clara Bow in the documentary series 'Hollywood'.

                  Ah I got that set on vhs. Meant to get it on DVD when it got out but it
                  had a very short run I heard.
                  those copyright arguments are the death of silent film if you ask me.
                  Look what happened to Abel Gance's Napoleon and its two scores.

                  Message 8 of 30 , Sep 10 10:24 AM
                    Olive, I heard the film is a real stinker. How bad is it, really?

                    > I'd seen Gods Gift on TCM a few years back but couldn't make out
                    Brooksie in it.

                    > I have the following movies on tape;
                    >
                    > The Show Off (off air recording from TCM)
                    > Beggars of Life (Grapevine edition)
                    > Diary of a Lost Girl (Grapevine edition
                    > Love 'em & Leave 'em (Grapevine edition)
                    > Pandora's Box (Video Dimensions edition)
                    >
                    > Also have the Hollywood Mysteries & Scandals premiere episode
                    profiling Louise
                    > Brooks as well as the TCM Louise Brooks documentary
                    >
                    > Incedentally there was a syndicated game show in the the 90s called
                    something like
                    > 'Grudge Match' that featured in its bumpers a show of Louise Brooks
                    slapping some
                    > dude. Looked like it might've come from 'A Social Celebrity' though
                    I'm only going
                    > from stills since I haven't seen that movie.
                    >
                    > Might've also spotted similar clip in the intro to show 'Men
                    Behaving Badly'...

                    > Also... In the files section is an audio recording of Louise
                    Brooks' commentary about
                    > Clara Bow in the documentary series 'Hollywood'.

                    .mp3

                    Message 9 of 30 , Sep 11 1:47 AM
                      Like Rita Sever* used to say on the old Friday Night Videos
                      show...

                      OK, if you're desparate to see a movie...

                      * http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005411/