Re: [The New Coven of Louise Brooks] Anniversary

    Message 1 of 30 , Aug 21, 2008
      True, very true.

      -Dario.

      --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Melissa Staats
      <johnfan1200@...> wrote:

      > Yes they were.
      > I bet that if she wouldn't have died their marrage would have
      lasted.
      > Melissa
      >
      > nutsaboutclara <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
      > They were bananas for each other, Melissa. They were two
      very
      > deeply in-love people.
      >
      > -Dario.
      >
      > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Melissa Staats
      > <johnfan1200@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I bet it was hard to have to tell him.
      > > Your right Gable was never the same after that.
      > > As I said before I think that Clark and Carole were soul mates.
      > > The made a wonderful pair.
      > > Melissa
      > >
      > > nutsaboutclara <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
      > > Clara Bow's husband Rex Bell headed a search party when
      > he spotted a
      > > dark cloud of smoke in that late January of 1942, and had to
      break
      > > the news to his friend Clark Gable. Gable was never the same
      after
      > > that, despite the fact that he remarried.
      > >
      > > -Dario.
      > >
      > > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Melissa Staats
      > > <johnfan1200@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Yes she was.
      > > > She was such a great lady.
      > > > Too bad there isn't any good Yahoo groups for her.
      > > > It just makes me want to cry how she died. It was so sad.
      > > > I don't think Clark ever got over her death.
      > > > I think that they were soul mates.
      > > > Melissa
      > > >
      > > > nutsaboutclara <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
      > > > She was also one of the great beauties in Hollywood
      > > history,
      > > > Melissa! Don't forget that!
      > > >
      > > > -Dario.
      > > >
      > > > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Melissa
      Staats

      > > > Lombard for

      > > > point
      > really.

      > spark

      > > weeks

      > Hmm...
      > > > lets

    • Peter
      Message 2 of 30 , Aug 21, 2008
        nutsaboutclara wrote:
        > True, very true.
        >
        > -Dario.

        Meanwhile.. back at the Lab :)

        I may have stirred something up I think. Not a bad thing actually.

        During the past few days I have been messing around with some photo
        editing software and the result can now be found at my website.
        http://thetwilightzone.xs4all.nl/dvdpreviews/index.html

        I turned it into a proper looking few pages tonight and added some more
        content.
        I welcome any input you people might have.

        Louise Brooks is there and so are Jean Harlow and Carole Lombard.
        And some others, albeit a nudge more off topic.

        Peter

        Message 3 of 30 , Aug 27, 2008
          Don't you mean, "Meanwhile, back at the BatCave...."

          Message 4 of 30 , Sep 2 6:42 PM
            Well we just closed on a hollowed-out volcano fortress on this
            island in the Pacific that's guarded by sharks with Frikkin™
            LASER beams attached to their heads...

            Got a good deal from Crocker Bank when Blofeld defaulted on
            the mortgage...

            nutsaboutclara <no_reply@...> wrote:

            > Don't you mean, "Meanwhile, back at the BatCave...."
            >
            > -Dario.
            >

            > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Peter
            > <twilight@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Meanwhile.. back at the Lab :)

          • Peter
            Message 5 of 30 , Sep 3 8:55 AM
              Did that include the white cat as well ?

              Meanwhile.. I ran into Gods Gift To Women the other day.
              Haven't seen it yet but its one of her later movies and she's down to
              supporting roles.

              Simply ticking off titles here:

              Out of the 26 listed on the IMDB 2 of them had her scenes deleted.
              From those 24 I currently have:

              its the old army game
              the show off
              a girl in every port
              beggars of life
              the canary murder case
              tagebuch einer verlorene
              overland stage raiders
              gods gift to women
              die buchse der pandora

              which leaves out these 15 titles including two uncredited.

              1. When You're in Love <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0029761/> (1937)
              (uncredited) .... Chorus Girl
              2. Empty Saddles <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0027571/> (1936) ....
              'Boots' Boone
              3. Who's Who in the Zoo <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0773181/> (1931)
              4. Windy Riley Goes Hollywood <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0022565/>
              (1931) .... Betty Grey
              5. It Pays to Advertise <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0022006/> (1931)
              .... Thelma Temple
              6. Prix de beauté (Miss Europe)
              <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0021273/> (1930) .... Lucienne
              Garnier <http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0046931/>
              <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0018737/>
              7. The City Gone Wild <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0017755/> (1927)
              .... Snuggles Joy
              8. Now We're in the Air <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0018211/> (1927)
              .... Griselle/Grisette
              9. Rolled Stockings <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0018335/> (1927)
              .... Carol Fleming <http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0046932/>
              10. Evening Clothes <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0017856/> (1927) ....
              Fox Trot
              11. Just Another Blonde <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0017013/> (1926)
              .... Diana O'Sullivan
              12. A Social Celebrity <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0017411/> (1926)
              .... Kitty Laverne <http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0046933/>
              13. Love 'Em and Leave 'Em <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0017082/>
              (1926) .... Janie Walsh
              14. The American Venus <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0016603/> (1926)
              .... Miss Bayport
              15. The Street of Forgotten Men <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0016403/>
              (1925) (uncredited) .... A moll

              I'm almost sure Prix is available but what about the others?
              Anyone seen any of those around?

              Peter

              Which might mean I need to update the cover to a 10 or 12 case or make a
              second one.

              Message 6 of 30 , Sep 3 1:32 PM
                I'd seen Gods Gift on TCM a few years back but couldn't make out Brooksie in it.

                I have the following movies on tape;

                The Show Off (off air recording from TCM)
                Beggars of Life (Grapevine edition)
                Diary of a Lost Girl (Grapevine edition
                Love 'em & Leave 'em (Grapevine edition)
                Pandora's Box (Video Dimensions edition)

                Also have the Hollywood Mysteries & Scandals premiere episode profiling Louise
                Brooks as well as the TCM Louise Brooks documentary

                Incedentally there was a syndicated game show in the the 90s called something like
                'Grudge Match' that featured in its bumpers a show of Louise Brooks slapping some
                dude. Looked like it might've come from 'A Social Celebrity' though I'm only going
                from stills since I haven't seen that movie.

                Might've also spotted similar clip in the intro to show 'Men Behaving Badly'...

                Also... In the files section is an audio recording of Louise Brooks' commentary about
                Clara Bow in the documentary series 'Hollywood'.

              • Melissa Staats
                Message 7 of 30 , Sep 3 2:30 PM
                  I've seem it once.
                  Melissa

                  olive_e_thomas <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
> [...]

                  > .... Miss Bayport
                  > 15. The Street of Forgotten Men <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0016403/>
                  > (1925) (uncredited) .... A moll
                  >

                  > I'm almost sure Prix is available but what about the others?
                  > Anyone seen any of those around?
                  >
                  > Peter
                  >
                  > Which might mean I need to update the cover to a 10 or 12 case or make a
                  > second one.
                  >

                  > olive_e_thomas wrote:
                  > > Well we just closed on a hollowed-out volcano fortress on this
                  > > island in the Pacific that's guarded by sharks with Frikkin^(TM)
                  > > LASER beams attached to their heads...
                  > >
                  > > Got a good deal from Crocker Bank when Blofeld defaulted on
                  > > the mortgage...
                  > >
                  > > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com,
                  > > nutsaboutclara <no_reply@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > >> Don't you mean, "Meanwhile, back at the BatCave...."

                • Peter
                  Message 8 of 30 , Sep 3 3:46 PM
                    olive_e_thomas wrote:
                    > I'd seen Gods Gift on TCM a few years back but couldn't make out Brooksie in it.

                    I think she got 5th billing or thereabout. I think I noticed her in the
                    opening scene even although there were three women in that shot with the
                    same hairstyle :)

                    > I have the following movies on tape;
                    >
                    > The Show Off (off air recording from TCM)
                    > Beggars of Life (Grapevine edition)
                    > Diary of a Lost Girl (Grapevine edition
                    > Love 'em & Leave 'em (Grapevine edition)
                    > Pandora's Box (Video Dimensions edition)

                    Hm I have a couple 100 tapes stored, not sure if there is anything from
                    her on those actually. Loads of old stuff recorded from tv in the early
                    80s.

                    > Also have the Hollywood Mysteries & Scandals premiere episode profiling Louise
                    > Brooks as well as the TCM Louise Brooks documentary

                    No never heard of that. Mind you, there is no such thing as TCM here, at
                    least not anymore.
                    > Incedentally there was a syndicated game show in the the 90s called something like
                    > 'Grudge Match' that featured in its bumpers a show of Louise Brooks slapping some
                    > dude. Looked like it might've come from 'A Social Celebrity' though I'm only going
                    > from stills since I haven't seen that movie.

                    I don't know it by heart actually and I don't think we got many american
                    game shows on tv here.
                    Lots of other game shows though, most of them mass entertainment
                    actually, not worth much.
                    > Also... In the files section is an audio recording of Louise Brooks' commentary about
                    > Clara Bow in the documentary series 'Hollywood'.

                    Ah I got that set on vhs. Meant to get it on DVD when it got out but it
                    had a very short run I heard.
                    those copyright arguments are the death of silent film if you ask me.
                    Look what happened to Abel Gance's Napoleon and its two scores.

                    Message 9 of 30 , Sep 10 10:24 AM
                      Olive, I heard the film is a real stinker. How bad is it, really?

                      > I'd seen Gods Gift on TCM a few years back but couldn't make out
                      Brooksie in it.

                      > I have the following movies on tape;
                      >
                      > The Show Off (off air recording from TCM)
                      > Beggars of Life (Grapevine edition)
                      > Diary of a Lost Girl (Grapevine edition
                      > Love 'em & Leave 'em (Grapevine edition)
                      > Pandora's Box (Video Dimensions edition)
                      >
                      > Also have the Hollywood Mysteries & Scandals premiere episode
                      profiling Louise
                      > Brooks as well as the TCM Louise Brooks documentary
                      >
                      > Incedentally there was a syndicated game show in the the 90s called
                      something like
                      > 'Grudge Match' that featured in its bumpers a show of Louise Brooks
                      slapping some
                      > dude. Looked like it might've come from 'A Social Celebrity' though
                      I'm only going
                      > from stills since I haven't seen that movie.
                      >
                      > Might've also spotted similar clip in the intro to show 'Men
                      Behaving Badly'...

                      > Also... In the files section is an audio recording of Louise
                      Brooks' commentary about
                      > Clara Bow in the documentary series 'Hollywood'.

                      .mp3

                      Message 10 of 30 , Sep 11 1:47 AM
                        Like Rita Sever* used to say on the old Friday Night Videos
                        show...

                        OK, if you're desparate to see a movie...

                        * http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005411/