Re: [The New Coven of Louise Brooks] Anniversary

  • Melissa Staats
    Message 1 of 30 , Aug 18, 2008
      I bet it was hard to have to tell him.
      Your right Gable was never the same after that.
      As I said before I think that Clark and Carole were soul mates.
      The made a wonderful pair.
      Melissa

      nutsaboutclara <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
      Clara Bow's husband Rex Bell headed a search party when he spotted a
      dark cloud of smoke in that late January of 1942, and had to break
      the news to his friend Clark Gable. Gable was never the same after
      that, despite the fact that he remarried.

      -Dario.

      --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Melissa Staats
      <johnfan1200@...> wrote:

      > Yes she was.
      > She was such a great lady.
      > Too bad there isn't any good Yahoo groups for her.
      > It just makes me want to cry how she died. It was so sad.
      > I don't think Clark ever got over her death.
      > I think that they were soul mates.
      > Melissa
      >
      > nutsaboutclara <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
      > She was also one of the great beauties in Hollywood
      history,

      Message 2 of 30 , Aug 20, 2008
        They were bananas for each other, Melissa. They were two very
        deeply in-love people.

        <johnfan1200@...> wrote:

        > I bet it was hard to have to tell him.
        > Your right Gable was never the same after that.
        > As I said before I think that Clark and Carole were soul mates.
        > The made a wonderful pair.
        > Melissa
        >
        > nutsaboutclara <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
        > Clara Bow's husband Rex Bell headed a search party when
        he spotted a
        > dark cloud of smoke in that late January of 1942, and had to break
        > the news to his friend Clark Gable. Gable was never the same after
        > that, despite the fact that he remarried.
        >
        > -Dario.
        >
        > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Melissa Staats
        > <johnfan1200@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Yes she was.
        > > She was such a great lady.
        > > Too bad there isn't any good Yahoo groups for her.
        > > It just makes me want to cry how she died. It was so sad.
        > > I don't think Clark ever got over her death.
        > > I think that they were soul mates.
        > > Melissa
        > >
        > > nutsaboutclara <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
        > > She was also one of the great beauties in Hollywood
        > history,
        > > Melissa! Don't forget that!
        > >
        > > -Dario.
        > >
        > > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Melissa Staats
        > > <johnfan1200@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > I adore Carole Lombard.
        > > > She's one my most favorites.
        > > > Melissa
        > > >
        > > > nutsaboutclara <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
        > > > I wonder if today's film buffs know anything about Carole
        > > Lombard for
        > > > there to be any interest in her centennial?
        > > >
        > > > -Dario.
        > > >
        > > > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Peter

        > > point

        > weeks
        > > > or so.

        Hmm...
        > > lets
        > > > see.

      • Melissa Staats
        Message 3 of 30 , Aug 20, 2008
          Yes they were.
          I bet that if she wouldn't have died their marrage would have lasted.

          Message 4 of 30 , Aug 21, 2008
            True, very true.

            <johnfan1200@...> wrote:

            > Yes they were.
            > I bet that if she wouldn't have died their marrage would have
            lasted.
            > Melissa
            >
            > nutsaboutclara <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
            > They were bananas for each other, Melissa. They were two
            very
            > deeply in-love people.
            >
            > -Dario.
            >
            > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Melissa Staats
            > <johnfan1200@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I bet it was hard to have to tell him.
            > > Your right Gable was never the same after that.
            > > As I said before I think that Clark and Carole were soul mates.
            > > The made a wonderful pair.
            > > Melissa
            > >
            > > nutsaboutclara <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
            > > Clara Bow's husband Rex Bell headed a search party when
            > he spotted a
            > > dark cloud of smoke in that late January of 1942, and had to
            break
            > > the news to his friend Clark Gable. Gable was never the same
            after
            > > that, despite the fact that he remarried.
            > >
            > > -Dario.
            > >
            > > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Melissa Staats
            > > <johnfan1200@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Yes she was.
            > > > She was such a great lady.
            > > > Too bad there isn't any good Yahoo groups for her.
            > > > It just makes me want to cry how she died. It was so sad.
            > > > I don't think Clark ever got over her death.
            > > > I think that they were soul mates.
            > > > Melissa
            > > >
            > > > nutsaboutclara <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
            > > > She was also one of the great beauties in Hollywood
            > > history,
            > > > Melissa! Don't forget that!
            > > >
            > > > -Dario.
            > > >
            > > > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Melissa
            Staats

            > > > Lombard for

            > > > point
            > really.

            > spark

            > > weeks

            > Hmm...
            > > > lets

          • Peter
            Message 5 of 30 , Aug 21, 2008
              nutsaboutclara wrote:
              > True, very true.
              >
              > -Dario.

              Meanwhile.. back at the Lab :)

              I may have stirred something up I think. Not a bad thing actually.

              During the past few days I have been messing around with some photo
              editing software and the result can now be found at my website.
              http://thetwilightzone.xs4all.nl/dvdpreviews/index.html

              I turned it into a proper looking few pages tonight and added some more
              content.
              I welcome any input you people might have.

              Louise Brooks is there and so are Jean Harlow and Carole Lombard.
              And some others, albeit a nudge more off topic.

              Peter

              Message 6 of 30 , Aug 27, 2008
                Don't you mean, "Meanwhile, back at the BatCave...."

                Message 7 of 30 , Sep 2, 2008
                  Well we just closed on a hollowed-out volcano fortress on this
                  island in the Pacific that's guarded by sharks with Frikkin™
                  LASER beams attached to their heads...

                  Got a good deal from Crocker Bank when Blofeld defaulted on
                  the mortgage...

                  nutsaboutclara <no_reply@...> wrote:

                  > Don't you mean, "Meanwhile, back at the BatCave...."
                  >
                  > -Dario.
                  >

                  > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Peter
                  > <twilight@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Meanwhile.. back at the Lab :)

                • Peter
                  Message 8 of 30 , Sep 3, 2008
                    Did that include the white cat as well ?

                    Meanwhile.. I ran into Gods Gift To Women the other day.
                    Haven't seen it yet but its one of her later movies and she's down to
                    supporting roles.

                    Simply ticking off titles here:

                    Out of the 26 listed on the IMDB 2 of them had her scenes deleted.
                    From those 24 I currently have:

                    its the old army game
                    the show off
                    a girl in every port
                    beggars of life
                    the canary murder case
                    tagebuch einer verlorene
                    overland stage raiders
                    gods gift to women
                    die buchse der pandora

                    which leaves out these 15 titles including two uncredited.

                    1. When You're in Love <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0029761/> (1937)
                    (uncredited) .... Chorus Girl
                    2. Empty Saddles <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0027571/> (1936) ....
                    'Boots' Boone
                    3. Who's Who in the Zoo <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0773181/> (1931)
                    4. Windy Riley Goes Hollywood <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0022565/>
                    (1931) .... Betty Grey
                    5. It Pays to Advertise <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0022006/> (1931)
                    .... Thelma Temple
                    6. Prix de beauté (Miss Europe)
                    <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0021273/> (1930) .... Lucienne
                    Garnier <http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0046931/>
                    <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0018737/>
                    7. The City Gone Wild <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0017755/> (1927)
                    .... Snuggles Joy
                    8. Now We're in the Air <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0018211/> (1927)
                    .... Griselle/Grisette
                    9. Rolled Stockings <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0018335/> (1927)
                    .... Carol Fleming <http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0046932/>
                    10. Evening Clothes <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0017856/> (1927) ....
                    Fox Trot
                    11. Just Another Blonde <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0017013/> (1926)
                    .... Diana O'Sullivan
                    12. A Social Celebrity <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0017411/> (1926)
                    .... Kitty Laverne <http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0046933/>
                    13. Love 'Em and Leave 'Em <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0017082/>
                    (1926) .... Janie Walsh
                    14. The American Venus <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0016603/> (1926)
                    .... Miss Bayport
                    15. The Street of Forgotten Men <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0016403/>
                    (1925) (uncredited) .... A moll

                    I'm almost sure Prix is available but what about the others?
                    Anyone seen any of those around?

                    Peter

                    Which might mean I need to update the cover to a 10 or 12 case or make a
                    second one.

                    Message 9 of 30 , Sep 3, 2008
                      I'd seen Gods Gift on TCM a few years back but couldn't make out Brooksie in it.

                      I have the following movies on tape;

                      The Show Off (off air recording from TCM)
                      Beggars of Life (Grapevine edition)
                      Diary of a Lost Girl (Grapevine edition
                      Love 'em & Leave 'em (Grapevine edition)
                      Pandora's Box (Video Dimensions edition)

                      Also have the Hollywood Mysteries & Scandals premiere episode profiling Louise
                      Brooks as well as the TCM Louise Brooks documentary

                      Incedentally there was a syndicated game show in the the 90s called something like
                      'Grudge Match' that featured in its bumpers a show of Louise Brooks slapping some
                      dude. Looked like it might've come from 'A Social Celebrity' though I'm only going
                      from stills since I haven't seen that movie.

                      Might've also spotted similar clip in the intro to show 'Men Behaving Badly'...

                      Also... In the files section is an audio recording of Louise Brooks' commentary about
                      Clara Bow in the documentary series 'Hollywood'.

                    • Melissa Staats
                      Message 10 of 30 , Sep 3, 2008
                        I've seem it once.
                        Melissa

                        olive_e_thomas <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
> [...]

                        > .... Miss Bayport
                        > 15. The Street of Forgotten Men <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0016403/>
                        > (1925) (uncredited) .... A moll
                        >

                        > I'm almost sure Prix is available but what about the others?
                        > Anyone seen any of those around?
                        >
                        > Peter
                        >
                        > Which might mean I need to update the cover to a 10 or 12 case or make a
                        > second one.
                        >

                        > olive_e_thomas wrote:
                        > > Well we just closed on a hollowed-out volcano fortress on this
                        > > island in the Pacific that's guarded by sharks with Frikkin^(TM)
                        > > LASER beams attached to their heads...
                        > >
                        > > Got a good deal from Crocker Bank when Blofeld defaulted on
                        > > the mortgage...
                        > >
                        > > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com,
                        > > nutsaboutclara <no_reply@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > >> Don't you mean, "Meanwhile, back at the BatCave...."

                      • Peter
                        Message 11 of 30 , Sep 3, 2008
                          olive_e_thomas wrote:
                          > I'd seen Gods Gift on TCM a few years back but couldn't make out Brooksie in it.

                          I think she got 5th billing or thereabout. I think I noticed her in the
                          opening scene even although there were three women in that shot with the
                          same hairstyle :)

                          > I have the following movies on tape;
                          >
                          > The Show Off (off air recording from TCM)
                          > Beggars of Life (Grapevine edition)
                          > Diary of a Lost Girl (Grapevine edition
                          > Love 'em & Leave 'em (Grapevine edition)
                          > Pandora's Box (Video Dimensions edition)

                          Hm I have a couple 100 tapes stored, not sure if there is anything from
                          her on those actually. Loads of old stuff recorded from tv in the early
                          80s.

                          > Also have the Hollywood Mysteries & Scandals premiere episode profiling Louise
                          > Brooks as well as the TCM Louise Brooks documentary

                          No never heard of that. Mind you, there is no such thing as TCM here, at
                          least not anymore.
                          > Incedentally there was a syndicated game show in the the 90s called something like
                          > 'Grudge Match' that featured in its bumpers a show of Louise Brooks slapping some
                          > dude. Looked like it might've come from 'A Social Celebrity' though I'm only going
                          > from stills since I haven't seen that movie.

                          I don't know it by heart actually and I don't think we got many american
                          game shows on tv here.
                          Lots of other game shows though, most of them mass entertainment
                          actually, not worth much.
                          > Also... In the files section is an audio recording of Louise Brooks' commentary about
                          > Clara Bow in the documentary series 'Hollywood'.

                          Ah I got that set on vhs. Meant to get it on DVD when it got out but it
                          had a very short run I heard.
                          those copyright arguments are the death of silent film if you ask me.
                          Look what happened to Abel Gance's Napoleon and its two scores.

                          Message 12 of 30 , Sep 10, 2008
                            Olive, I heard the film is a real stinker. How bad is it, really?

                            > I'd seen Gods Gift on TCM a few years back but couldn't make out
                            Brooksie in it.

                            > I have the following movies on tape;
                            >
                            > The Show Off (off air recording from TCM)
                            > Beggars of Life (Grapevine edition)
                            > Diary of a Lost Girl (Grapevine edition
                            > Love 'em & Leave 'em (Grapevine edition)
                            > Pandora's Box (Video Dimensions edition)
                            >
                            > Also have the Hollywood Mysteries & Scandals premiere episode
                            profiling Louise
                            > Brooks as well as the TCM Louise Brooks documentary
                            >
                            > Incedentally there was a syndicated game show in the the 90s called
                            something like
                            > 'Grudge Match' that featured in its bumpers a show of Louise Brooks
                            slapping some
                            > dude. Looked like it might've come from 'A Social Celebrity' though
                            I'm only going
                            > from stills since I haven't seen that movie.
                            >
                            > Might've also spotted similar clip in the intro to show 'Men
                            Behaving Badly'...

                            > Also... In the files section is an audio recording of Louise
                            Brooks' commentary about
                            > Clara Bow in the documentary series 'Hollywood'.

                            .mp3

                            Message 13 of 30 , Sep 11, 2008
                              Like Rita Sever* used to say on the old Friday Night Videos
                              show...

                              OK, if you're desparate to see a movie...

                              * http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005411/