Re: [The New Coven of Louise Brooks] Anniversary

  • Melissa Staats
    Message 1 of 30 , Aug 16, 2008
      Yes she was.
      She was such a great lady.
      Too bad there isn't any good Yahoo groups for her.
      It just makes me want to cry how she died. It was so sad.
      I don't think Clark ever got over her death.
      I think that they were soul mates.
      Melissa

      nutsaboutclara <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
      She was also one of the great beauties in Hollywood history,
      Melissa! Don't forget that!

      -Dario.

      --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Melissa Staats
      <johnfan1200@...> wrote:

      > I adore Carole Lombard.
      > She's one my most favorites.
      > Melissa
      >
      > nutsaboutclara <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
      > I wonder if today's film buffs know anything about Carole
      Lombard for
      > there to be any interest in her centennial?
      >
      > -Dario.
      >
      > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Peter
      > <twilight@> wrote:
      > >
      > > nutsaboutclara wrote:
      > > > Oh dear! I remember that group(LBS) being so active at one
      point
      > > > during the earlier part of the millenia. What a shame, really.
      > > >
      > > > -Dario.
      > > >
      > > My experience is that these groups suffer from a bright spark
      > > occasionally, usually around certain dates.
      > >
      > > I predict a Carole Lombard group suddenly reviving within 6 weeks
      > or so.
      > > (so.... yup its her centenary birthday: 6 october 1908)
      > >
      > > Maybe time for a nice spanning spine set of DVD covers. Hmm...
      lets

      Message 2 of 30 , Aug 18, 2008
        Clara Bow's husband Rex Bell headed a search party when he spotted a
        dark cloud of smoke in that late January of 1942, and had to break
        the news to his friend Clark Gable. Gable was never the same after
        that, despite the fact that he remarried.

        <johnfan1200@...> wrote:

        > Yes she was.
        > She was such a great lady.
        > Too bad there isn't any good Yahoo groups for her.
        > It just makes me want to cry how she died. It was so sad.
        > I don't think Clark ever got over her death.
        > I think that they were soul mates.
        > Melissa
        >
        > nutsaboutclara <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
        > She was also one of the great beauties in Hollywood
        history,
        > Melissa! Don't forget that!
        >
        > -Dario.
        >
        > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Melissa Staats
        > <johnfan1200@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I adore Carole Lombard.
        > > She's one my most favorites.
        > > Melissa
        > >
        > > nutsaboutclara <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
        > > I wonder if today's film buffs know anything about Carole
        > Lombard for
        > > there to be any interest in her centennial?
        > >
        > > -Dario.
        > >
        > > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Peter
        > > <twilight@> wrote:

        > point

        > > > My experience is that these groups suffer from a bright spark
        > > > occasionally, usually around certain dates.
        > > >
        > > > I predict a Carole Lombard group suddenly reviving within 6
        weeks
        > > or so.
        > > > (so.... yup its her centenary birthday: 6 october 1908)
        > > >
        > > > Maybe time for a nice spanning spine set of DVD covers. Hmm...
        > lets
        > > see.
        > > >
        > > > Peter

      • Melissa Staats
        Message 3 of 30 , Aug 18, 2008
          I bet it was hard to have to tell him.
          Your right Gable was never the same after that.
          As I said before I think that Clark and Carole were soul mates.
          The made a wonderful pair.

          Message 4 of 30 , Aug 20, 2008
            They were bananas for each other, Melissa. They were two very
            deeply in-love people.

            <johnfan1200@...> wrote:

            > I bet it was hard to have to tell him.
            > Your right Gable was never the same after that.
            > As I said before I think that Clark and Carole were soul mates.
            > The made a wonderful pair.
            > Melissa
            >
            > nutsaboutclara <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
            > Clara Bow's husband Rex Bell headed a search party when
            he spotted a
            > dark cloud of smoke in that late January of 1942, and had to break
            > the news to his friend Clark Gable. Gable was never the same after
            > that, despite the fact that he remarried.
            >
            > -Dario.
            >
            > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Melissa Staats
            > <johnfan1200@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Yes she was.
            > > She was such a great lady.
            > > Too bad there isn't any good Yahoo groups for her.
            > > It just makes me want to cry how she died. It was so sad.
            > > I don't think Clark ever got over her death.
            > > I think that they were soul mates.
            > > Melissa
            > >
            > > nutsaboutclara <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
            > > She was also one of the great beauties in Hollywood
            > history,
            > > Melissa! Don't forget that!
            > >
            > > -Dario.
            > >
            > > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Melissa Staats
            > > <johnfan1200@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I adore Carole Lombard.
            > > > She's one my most favorites.
            > > > Melissa
            > > >
            > > > nutsaboutclara <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
            > > > I wonder if today's film buffs know anything about Carole
            > > Lombard for
            > > > there to be any interest in her centennial?
            > > >
            > > > -Dario.
            > > >
            > > > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Peter

            > > point

            > weeks
            > > > or so.

            Hmm...
            > > lets
            > > > see.

          • Melissa Staats
            Message 5 of 30 , Aug 20, 2008
              Yes they were.
              I bet that if she wouldn't have died their marrage would have lasted.

              Message 6 of 30 , Aug 21, 2008
                True, very true.

                <johnfan1200@...> wrote:

                > Yes they were.
                > I bet that if she wouldn't have died their marrage would have
                lasted.
                > Melissa
                >
                > nutsaboutclara <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                > They were bananas for each other, Melissa. They were two
                very
                > deeply in-love people.
                >
                > -Dario.
                >
                > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Melissa Staats
                > <johnfan1200@> wrote:
                > >
                > > I bet it was hard to have to tell him.
                > > Your right Gable was never the same after that.
                > > As I said before I think that Clark and Carole were soul mates.
                > > The made a wonderful pair.
                > > Melissa
                > >
                > > nutsaboutclara <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                > > Clara Bow's husband Rex Bell headed a search party when
                > he spotted a
                > > dark cloud of smoke in that late January of 1942, and had to
                break
                > > the news to his friend Clark Gable. Gable was never the same
                after
                > > that, despite the fact that he remarried.
                > >
                > > -Dario.
                > >
                > > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Melissa Staats
                > > <johnfan1200@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Yes she was.
                > > > She was such a great lady.
                > > > Too bad there isn't any good Yahoo groups for her.
                > > > It just makes me want to cry how she died. It was so sad.
                > > > I don't think Clark ever got over her death.
                > > > I think that they were soul mates.
                > > > Melissa
                > > >
                > > > nutsaboutclara <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                > > > She was also one of the great beauties in Hollywood
                > > history,
                > > > Melissa! Don't forget that!
                > > >
                > > > -Dario.
                > > >
                > > > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Melissa
                Staats

                > > > Lombard for

                > > > point
                > really.

                > spark

                > > weeks

                > Hmm...
                > > > lets

              • Peter
                Message 7 of 30 , Aug 21, 2008
                  nutsaboutclara wrote:
                  > True, very true.
                  >
                  > -Dario.

                  Meanwhile.. back at the Lab :)

                  I may have stirred something up I think. Not a bad thing actually.

                  During the past few days I have been messing around with some photo
                  editing software and the result can now be found at my website.
                  http://thetwilightzone.xs4all.nl/dvdpreviews/index.html

                  I turned it into a proper looking few pages tonight and added some more
                  content.
                  I welcome any input you people might have.

                  Louise Brooks is there and so are Jean Harlow and Carole Lombard.
                  And some others, albeit a nudge more off topic.

                  Peter

                  Message 8 of 30 , Aug 27, 2008
                    Don't you mean, "Meanwhile, back at the BatCave...."

                    Message 9 of 30 , Sep 2, 2008
                      Well we just closed on a hollowed-out volcano fortress on this
                      island in the Pacific that's guarded by sharks with Frikkin™
                      LASER beams attached to their heads...

                      Got a good deal from Crocker Bank when Blofeld defaulted on
                      the mortgage...

                      nutsaboutclara <no_reply@...> wrote:

                      > Don't you mean, "Meanwhile, back at the BatCave...."
                      >
                      > -Dario.
                      >

                      > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Peter
                      > <twilight@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Meanwhile.. back at the Lab :)

                    • Peter
                      Message 10 of 30 , Sep 3, 2008
                        Did that include the white cat as well ?

                        Meanwhile.. I ran into Gods Gift To Women the other day.
                        Haven't seen it yet but its one of her later movies and she's down to
                        supporting roles.

                        Simply ticking off titles here:

                        Out of the 26 listed on the IMDB 2 of them had her scenes deleted.
                        From those 24 I currently have:

                        its the old army game
                        the show off
                        a girl in every port
                        beggars of life
                        the canary murder case
                        tagebuch einer verlorene
                        overland stage raiders
                        gods gift to women
                        die buchse der pandora

                        which leaves out these 15 titles including two uncredited.

                        1. When You're in Love <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0029761/> (1937)
                        (uncredited) .... Chorus Girl
                        2. Empty Saddles <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0027571/> (1936) ....
                        'Boots' Boone
                        3. Who's Who in the Zoo <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0773181/> (1931)
                        4. Windy Riley Goes Hollywood <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0022565/>
                        (1931) .... Betty Grey
                        5. It Pays to Advertise <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0022006/> (1931)
                        .... Thelma Temple
                        6. Prix de beauté (Miss Europe)
                        <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0021273/> (1930) .... Lucienne
                        Garnier <http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0046931/>
                        <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0018737/>
                        7. The City Gone Wild <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0017755/> (1927)
                        .... Snuggles Joy
                        8. Now We're in the Air <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0018211/> (1927)
                        .... Griselle/Grisette
                        9. Rolled Stockings <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0018335/> (1927)
                        .... Carol Fleming <http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0046932/>
                        10. Evening Clothes <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0017856/> (1927) ....
                        Fox Trot
                        11. Just Another Blonde <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0017013/> (1926)
                        .... Diana O'Sullivan
                        12. A Social Celebrity <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0017411/> (1926)
                        .... Kitty Laverne <http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0046933/>
                        13. Love 'Em and Leave 'Em <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0017082/>
                        (1926) .... Janie Walsh
                        14. The American Venus <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0016603/> (1926)
                        .... Miss Bayport
                        15. The Street of Forgotten Men <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0016403/>
                        (1925) (uncredited) .... A moll

                        I'm almost sure Prix is available but what about the others?
                        Anyone seen any of those around?

                        Peter

                        Which might mean I need to update the cover to a 10 or 12 case or make a
                        second one.

                        Message 11 of 30 , Sep 3, 2008
                          I'd seen Gods Gift on TCM a few years back but couldn't make out Brooksie in it.

                          I have the following movies on tape;

                          The Show Off (off air recording from TCM)
                          Beggars of Life (Grapevine edition)
                          Diary of a Lost Girl (Grapevine edition
                          Love 'em & Leave 'em (Grapevine edition)
                          Pandora's Box (Video Dimensions edition)

                          Also have the Hollywood Mysteries & Scandals premiere episode profiling Louise
                          Brooks as well as the TCM Louise Brooks documentary

                          Incedentally there was a syndicated game show in the the 90s called something like
                          'Grudge Match' that featured in its bumpers a show of Louise Brooks slapping some
                          dude. Looked like it might've come from 'A Social Celebrity' though I'm only going
                          from stills since I haven't seen that movie.

                          Might've also spotted similar clip in the intro to show 'Men Behaving Badly'...

                          Also... In the files section is an audio recording of Louise Brooks' commentary about
                          Clara Bow in the documentary series 'Hollywood'.

                        • Melissa Staats
                          Message 12 of 30 , Sep 3, 2008
                            I've seem it once.
                            Melissa

                            olive_e_thomas <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
> [...]

                            > .... Miss Bayport
                            > 15. The Street of Forgotten Men <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0016403/>
                            > (1925) (uncredited) .... A moll
                            >

                            > I'm almost sure Prix is available but what about the others?
                            > Anyone seen any of those around?
                            >
                            > Peter
                            >
                            > Which might mean I need to update the cover to a 10 or 12 case or make a
                            > second one.
                            >

                            > olive_e_thomas wrote:
                            > > Well we just closed on a hollowed-out volcano fortress on this
                            > > island in the Pacific that's guarded by sharks with Frikkin^(TM)
                            > > LASER beams attached to their heads...
                            > >
                            > > Got a good deal from Crocker Bank when Blofeld defaulted on
                            > > the mortgage...
                            > >
                            > > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com,
                            > > nutsaboutclara <no_reply@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > >> Don't you mean, "Meanwhile, back at the BatCave...."

                          • Peter
                            Message 13 of 30 , Sep 3, 2008
                              olive_e_thomas wrote:
                              > I'd seen Gods Gift on TCM a few years back but couldn't make out Brooksie in it.

                              I think she got 5th billing or thereabout. I think I noticed her in the
                              opening scene even although there were three women in that shot with the
                              same hairstyle :)

                              > I have the following movies on tape;
                              >
                              > The Show Off (off air recording from TCM)
                              > Beggars of Life (Grapevine edition)
                              > Diary of a Lost Girl (Grapevine edition
                              > Love 'em & Leave 'em (Grapevine edition)
                              > Pandora's Box (Video Dimensions edition)

                              Hm I have a couple 100 tapes stored, not sure if there is anything from
                              her on those actually. Loads of old stuff recorded from tv in the early
                              80s.

                              > Also have the Hollywood Mysteries & Scandals premiere episode profiling Louise
                              > Brooks as well as the TCM Louise Brooks documentary

                              No never heard of that. Mind you, there is no such thing as TCM here, at
                              least not anymore.
                              > Incedentally there was a syndicated game show in the the 90s called something like
                              > 'Grudge Match' that featured in its bumpers a show of Louise Brooks slapping some
                              > dude. Looked like it might've come from 'A Social Celebrity' though I'm only going
                              > from stills since I haven't seen that movie.

                              I don't know it by heart actually and I don't think we got many american
                              game shows on tv here.
                              Lots of other game shows though, most of them mass entertainment
                              actually, not worth much.
                              > Also... In the files section is an audio recording of Louise Brooks' commentary about
                              > Clara Bow in the documentary series 'Hollywood'.

                              Ah I got that set on vhs. Meant to get it on DVD when it got out but it
                              had a very short run I heard.
                              those copyright arguments are the death of silent film if you ask me.
                              Look what happened to Abel Gance's Napoleon and its two scores.

                              Message 14 of 30 , Sep 10, 2008
                                Olive, I heard the film is a real stinker. How bad is it, really?

                                > I'd seen Gods Gift on TCM a few years back but couldn't make out
                                Brooksie in it.

                                > I have the following movies on tape;
                                >
                                > The Show Off (off air recording from TCM)
                                > Beggars of Life (Grapevine edition)
                                > Diary of a Lost Girl (Grapevine edition
                                > Love 'em & Leave 'em (Grapevine edition)
                                > Pandora's Box (Video Dimensions edition)
                                >
                                > Also have the Hollywood Mysteries & Scandals premiere episode
                                profiling Louise
                                > Brooks as well as the TCM Louise Brooks documentary
                                >
                                > Incedentally there was a syndicated game show in the the 90s called
                                something like
                                > 'Grudge Match' that featured in its bumpers a show of Louise Brooks
                                slapping some
                                > dude. Looked like it might've come from 'A Social Celebrity' though
                                I'm only going
                                > from stills since I haven't seen that movie.
                                >
                                > Might've also spotted similar clip in the intro to show 'Men
                                Behaving Badly'...

                                > Also... In the files section is an audio recording of Louise
                                Brooks' commentary about
                                > Clara Bow in the documentary series 'Hollywood'.

                                .mp3

                                Message 15 of 30 , Sep 11, 2008
                                  Like Rita Sever* used to say on the old Friday Night Videos
                                  show...

                                  OK, if you're desparate to see a movie...

                                  * http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005411/