Re: [The New Coven of Louise Brooks] Anniversary

    Message 1 of 30 , Aug 16, 2008
      She was also one of the great beauties in Hollywood history,
      Melissa! Don't forget that!

      -Dario.

      --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Melissa Staats
      <johnfan1200@...> wrote:

      > I adore Carole Lombard.
      > She's one my most favorites.
      > Melissa
      >
      > nutsaboutclara <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
      > I wonder if today's film buffs know anything about Carole
      Lombard for
      > there to be any interest in her centennial?
      >
      > -Dario.
      >
      > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Peter
      > <twilight@> wrote:
      > >
      > > nutsaboutclara wrote:
      > > > Oh dear! I remember that group(LBS) being so active at one
      point
      > > > during the earlier part of the millenia. What a shame, really.
      > > >
      > > > -Dario.
      > > >
      > > My experience is that these groups suffer from a bright spark
      > > occasionally, usually around certain dates.
      > >
      > > I predict a Carole Lombard group suddenly reviving within 6 weeks
      > or so.
      > > (so.... yup its her centenary birthday: 6 october 1908)
      > >
      > > Maybe time for a nice spanning spine set of DVD covers. Hmm...
      lets
      > see.
      > >
      > > Peter

    • Melissa Staats
      Message 2 of 30 , Aug 16, 2008
        Yes she was.
        She was such a great lady.
        Too bad there isn't any good Yahoo groups for her.
        It just makes me want to cry how she died. It was so sad.
        I don't think Clark ever got over her death.
        I think that they were soul mates.

        Message 3 of 30 , Aug 18, 2008
          Clara Bow's husband Rex Bell headed a search party when he spotted a
          dark cloud of smoke in that late January of 1942, and had to break
          the news to his friend Clark Gable. Gable was never the same after
          that, despite the fact that he remarried.

          <johnfan1200@...> wrote:

          > Yes she was.
          > She was such a great lady.
          > Too bad there isn't any good Yahoo groups for her.
          > It just makes me want to cry how she died. It was so sad.
          > I don't think Clark ever got over her death.
          > I think that they were soul mates.
          > Melissa
          >
          > nutsaboutclara <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
          > She was also one of the great beauties in Hollywood
          history,
          > Melissa! Don't forget that!
          >
          > -Dario.
          >
          > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Melissa Staats
          > <johnfan1200@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I adore Carole Lombard.
          > > She's one my most favorites.
          > > Melissa
          > >
          > > nutsaboutclara <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
          > > I wonder if today's film buffs know anything about Carole
          > Lombard for
          > > there to be any interest in her centennial?
          > >
          > > -Dario.
          > >
          > > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Peter
          > > <twilight@> wrote:

          > point

          > > > My experience is that these groups suffer from a bright spark
          > > > occasionally, usually around certain dates.
          > > >
          > > > I predict a Carole Lombard group suddenly reviving within 6
          weeks
          > > or so.
          > > > (so.... yup its her centenary birthday: 6 october 1908)
          > > >
          > > > Maybe time for a nice spanning spine set of DVD covers. Hmm...
          > lets
          > > see.
          > > >
          > > > Peter

        • Melissa Staats
          Message 4 of 30 , Aug 18, 2008
            I bet it was hard to have to tell him.
            Your right Gable was never the same after that.
            As I said before I think that Clark and Carole were soul mates.
            The made a wonderful pair.

            Message 5 of 30 , Aug 20, 2008
              They were bananas for each other, Melissa. They were two very
              deeply in-love people.

              <johnfan1200@...> wrote:

              > I bet it was hard to have to tell him.
              > Your right Gable was never the same after that.
              > As I said before I think that Clark and Carole were soul mates.
              > The made a wonderful pair.
              > Melissa
              >
              > nutsaboutclara <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
              > Clara Bow's husband Rex Bell headed a search party when
              he spotted a
              > dark cloud of smoke in that late January of 1942, and had to break
              > the news to his friend Clark Gable. Gable was never the same after
              > that, despite the fact that he remarried.
              >
              > -Dario.
              >
              > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Melissa Staats
              > <johnfan1200@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Yes she was.
              > > She was such a great lady.
              > > Too bad there isn't any good Yahoo groups for her.
              > > It just makes me want to cry how she died. It was so sad.
              > > I don't think Clark ever got over her death.
              > > I think that they were soul mates.
              > > Melissa
              > >
              > > nutsaboutclara <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
              > > She was also one of the great beauties in Hollywood
              > history,
              > > Melissa! Don't forget that!
              > >
              > > -Dario.
              > >
              > > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Melissa Staats
              > > <johnfan1200@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > I adore Carole Lombard.
              > > > She's one my most favorites.
              > > > Melissa
              > > >
              > > > nutsaboutclara <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
              > > > I wonder if today's film buffs know anything about Carole
              > > Lombard for
              > > > there to be any interest in her centennial?
              > > >
              > > > -Dario.
              > > >
              > > > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Peter

              > > point

              > weeks
              > > > or so.

              Hmm...
              > > lets
              > > > see.

            • Melissa Staats
              Message 6 of 30 , Aug 20, 2008
                Yes they were.
                I bet that if she wouldn't have died their marrage would have lasted.

                Message 7 of 30 , Aug 21, 2008
                  True, very true.

                  <johnfan1200@...> wrote:

                  > Yes they were.
                  > I bet that if she wouldn't have died their marrage would have
                  lasted.
                  > Melissa
                  >
                  > nutsaboutclara <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                  > They were bananas for each other, Melissa. They were two
                  very
                  > deeply in-love people.
                  >
                  > -Dario.
                  >
                  > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Melissa Staats
                  > <johnfan1200@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I bet it was hard to have to tell him.
                  > > Your right Gable was never the same after that.
                  > > As I said before I think that Clark and Carole were soul mates.
                  > > The made a wonderful pair.
                  > > Melissa
                  > >
                  > > nutsaboutclara <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                  > > Clara Bow's husband Rex Bell headed a search party when
                  > he spotted a
                  > > dark cloud of smoke in that late January of 1942, and had to
                  break
                  > > the news to his friend Clark Gable. Gable was never the same
                  after
                  > > that, despite the fact that he remarried.
                  > >
                  > > -Dario.
                  > >
                  > > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Melissa Staats
                  > > <johnfan1200@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Yes she was.
                  > > > She was such a great lady.
                  > > > Too bad there isn't any good Yahoo groups for her.
                  > > > It just makes me want to cry how she died. It was so sad.
                  > > > I don't think Clark ever got over her death.
                  > > > I think that they were soul mates.
                  > > > Melissa
                  > > >
                  > > > nutsaboutclara <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                  > > > She was also one of the great beauties in Hollywood
                  > > history,
                  > > > Melissa! Don't forget that!
                  > > >
                  > > > -Dario.
                  > > >
                  > > > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Melissa
                  Staats

                  > > > Lombard for

                  > > > point
                  > really.

                  > spark

                  > > weeks

                  > Hmm...
                  > > > lets

                • Peter
                  Message 8 of 30 , Aug 21, 2008
                    nutsaboutclara wrote:
                    > True, very true.
                    >
                    > -Dario.

                    Meanwhile.. back at the Lab :)

                    I may have stirred something up I think. Not a bad thing actually.

                    During the past few days I have been messing around with some photo
                    editing software and the result can now be found at my website.
                    http://thetwilightzone.xs4all.nl/dvdpreviews/index.html

                    I turned it into a proper looking few pages tonight and added some more
                    content.
                    I welcome any input you people might have.

                    Louise Brooks is there and so are Jean Harlow and Carole Lombard.
                    And some others, albeit a nudge more off topic.

                    Peter

                    Message 9 of 30 , Aug 27, 2008
                      Don't you mean, "Meanwhile, back at the BatCave...."

                      Message 10 of 30 , Sep 2, 2008
                        Well we just closed on a hollowed-out volcano fortress on this
                        island in the Pacific that's guarded by sharks with Frikkin™
                        LASER beams attached to their heads...

                        Got a good deal from Crocker Bank when Blofeld defaulted on
                        the mortgage...

                        nutsaboutclara <no_reply@...> wrote:

                        > Don't you mean, "Meanwhile, back at the BatCave...."
                        >
                        > -Dario.
                        >

                        > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Peter
                        > <twilight@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Meanwhile.. back at the Lab :)

                      • Peter
                        Message 11 of 30 , Sep 3, 2008
                          Did that include the white cat as well ?

                          Meanwhile.. I ran into Gods Gift To Women the other day.
                          Haven't seen it yet but its one of her later movies and she's down to
                          supporting roles.

                          Simply ticking off titles here:

                          Out of the 26 listed on the IMDB 2 of them had her scenes deleted.
                          From those 24 I currently have:

                          its the old army game
                          the show off
                          a girl in every port
                          beggars of life
                          the canary murder case
                          tagebuch einer verlorene
                          overland stage raiders
                          gods gift to women
                          die buchse der pandora

                          which leaves out these 15 titles including two uncredited.

                          1. When You're in Love <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0029761/> (1937)
                          (uncredited) .... Chorus Girl
                          2. Empty Saddles <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0027571/> (1936) ....
                          'Boots' Boone
                          3. Who's Who in the Zoo <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0773181/> (1931)
                          4. Windy Riley Goes Hollywood <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0022565/>
                          (1931) .... Betty Grey
                          5. It Pays to Advertise <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0022006/> (1931)
                          .... Thelma Temple
                          6. Prix de beauté (Miss Europe)
                          <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0021273/> (1930) .... Lucienne
                          Garnier <http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0046931/>
                          <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0018737/>
                          7. The City Gone Wild <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0017755/> (1927)
                          .... Snuggles Joy
                          8. Now We're in the Air <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0018211/> (1927)
                          .... Griselle/Grisette
                          9. Rolled Stockings <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0018335/> (1927)
                          .... Carol Fleming <http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0046932/>
                          10. Evening Clothes <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0017856/> (1927) ....
                          Fox Trot
                          11. Just Another Blonde <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0017013/> (1926)
                          .... Diana O'Sullivan
                          12. A Social Celebrity <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0017411/> (1926)
                          .... Kitty Laverne <http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0046933/>
                          13. Love 'Em and Leave 'Em <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0017082/>
                          (1926) .... Janie Walsh
                          14. The American Venus <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0016603/> (1926)
                          .... Miss Bayport
                          15. The Street of Forgotten Men <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0016403/>
                          (1925) (uncredited) .... A moll

                          I'm almost sure Prix is available but what about the others?
                          Anyone seen any of those around?

                          Peter

                          Which might mean I need to update the cover to a 10 or 12 case or make a
                          second one.

                          Message 12 of 30 , Sep 3, 2008
                            I'd seen Gods Gift on TCM a few years back but couldn't make out Brooksie in it.

                            I have the following movies on tape;

                            The Show Off (off air recording from TCM)
                            Beggars of Life (Grapevine edition)
                            Diary of a Lost Girl (Grapevine edition
                            Love 'em & Leave 'em (Grapevine edition)
                            Pandora's Box (Video Dimensions edition)

                            Also have the Hollywood Mysteries & Scandals premiere episode profiling Louise
                            Brooks as well as the TCM Louise Brooks documentary

                            Incedentally there was a syndicated game show in the the 90s called something like
                            'Grudge Match' that featured in its bumpers a show of Louise Brooks slapping some
                            dude. Looked like it might've come from 'A Social Celebrity' though I'm only going
                            from stills since I haven't seen that movie.

                            Might've also spotted similar clip in the intro to show 'Men Behaving Badly'...

                            Also... In the files section is an audio recording of Louise Brooks' commentary about
                            Clara Bow in the documentary series 'Hollywood'.

                          • Melissa Staats
                            Message 13 of 30 , Sep 3, 2008
                              I've seem it once.
                              Melissa

                              olive_e_thomas <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
> [...]

                              > .... Miss Bayport
                              > 15. The Street of Forgotten Men <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0016403/>
                              > (1925) (uncredited) .... A moll
                              >

                              > I'm almost sure Prix is available but what about the others?
                              > Anyone seen any of those around?
                              >
                              > Peter
                              >
                              > Which might mean I need to update the cover to a 10 or 12 case or make a
                              > second one.
                              >

                              > olive_e_thomas wrote:
                              > > Well we just closed on a hollowed-out volcano fortress on this
                              > > island in the Pacific that's guarded by sharks with Frikkin^(TM)
                              > > LASER beams attached to their heads...
                              > >
                              > > Got a good deal from Crocker Bank when Blofeld defaulted on
                              > > the mortgage...
                              > >
                              > > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com,
                              > > nutsaboutclara <no_reply@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > >> Don't you mean, "Meanwhile, back at the BatCave...."

                            • Peter
                              Message 14 of 30 , Sep 3, 2008
                                olive_e_thomas wrote:
                                > I'd seen Gods Gift on TCM a few years back but couldn't make out Brooksie in it.

                                I think she got 5th billing or thereabout. I think I noticed her in the
                                opening scene even although there were three women in that shot with the
                                same hairstyle :)

                                > I have the following movies on tape;
                                >
                                > The Show Off (off air recording from TCM)
                                > Beggars of Life (Grapevine edition)
                                > Diary of a Lost Girl (Grapevine edition
                                > Love 'em & Leave 'em (Grapevine edition)
                                > Pandora's Box (Video Dimensions edition)

                                Hm I have a couple 100 tapes stored, not sure if there is anything from
                                her on those actually. Loads of old stuff recorded from tv in the early
                                80s.

                                > Also have the Hollywood Mysteries & Scandals premiere episode profiling Louise
                                > Brooks as well as the TCM Louise Brooks documentary

                                No never heard of that. Mind you, there is no such thing as TCM here, at
                                least not anymore.
                                > Incedentally there was a syndicated game show in the the 90s called something like
                                > 'Grudge Match' that featured in its bumpers a show of Louise Brooks slapping some
                                > dude. Looked like it might've come from 'A Social Celebrity' though I'm only going
                                > from stills since I haven't seen that movie.

                                I don't know it by heart actually and I don't think we got many american
                                game shows on tv here.
                                Lots of other game shows though, most of them mass entertainment
                                actually, not worth much.
                                > Also... In the files section is an audio recording of Louise Brooks' commentary about
                                > Clara Bow in the documentary series 'Hollywood'.

                                Ah I got that set on vhs. Meant to get it on DVD when it got out but it
                                had a very short run I heard.
                                those copyright arguments are the death of silent film if you ask me.
                                Look what happened to Abel Gance's Napoleon and its two scores.

                                Message 15 of 30 , Sep 10, 2008
                                  Olive, I heard the film is a real stinker. How bad is it, really?

                                  > I'd seen Gods Gift on TCM a few years back but couldn't make out
                                  Brooksie in it.

                                  > I have the following movies on tape;
                                  >
                                  > The Show Off (off air recording from TCM)
                                  > Beggars of Life (Grapevine edition)
                                  > Diary of a Lost Girl (Grapevine edition
                                  > Love 'em & Leave 'em (Grapevine edition)
                                  > Pandora's Box (Video Dimensions edition)
                                  >
                                  > Also have the Hollywood Mysteries & Scandals premiere episode
                                  profiling Louise
                                  > Brooks as well as the TCM Louise Brooks documentary
                                  >
                                  > Incedentally there was a syndicated game show in the the 90s called
                                  something like
                                  > 'Grudge Match' that featured in its bumpers a show of Louise Brooks
                                  slapping some
                                  > dude. Looked like it might've come from 'A Social Celebrity' though
                                  I'm only going
                                  > from stills since I haven't seen that movie.
                                  >
                                  > Might've also spotted similar clip in the intro to show 'Men
                                  Behaving Badly'...

                                  > Also... In the files section is an audio recording of Louise
                                  Brooks' commentary about
                                  > Clara Bow in the documentary series 'Hollywood'.

                                  .mp3

                                  Message 16 of 30 , Sep 11, 2008
                                    Like Rita Sever* used to say on the old Friday Night Videos
                                    show...

                                    OK, if you're desparate to see a movie...

                                    * http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005411/