Re: [The New Coven of Louise Brooks] Anniversary

  • Melissa Staats
    Message 1 of 30 , Aug 15, 2008
      I adore Carole Lombard.
      She's one my most favorites.
      Melissa

      nutsaboutclara <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
      I wonder if today's film buffs know anything about Carole Lombard for
      there to be any interest in her centennial?

      -Dario.

      --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Peter

      Message 2 of 30 , Aug 16, 2008
        Good. It's nice to see Carole being appreciated in this day and age
        with a DVD set in her honor.

        Message 3 of 30 , Aug 16, 2008
          She was also one of the great beauties in Hollywood history,
          Melissa! Don't forget that!

          -Dario.

          --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Melissa Staats
          <johnfan1200@...> wrote:

          > I adore Carole Lombard.
          > She's one my most favorites.
          > Melissa
          >
          > nutsaboutclara <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
          > I wonder if today's film buffs know anything about Carole
          Lombard for
          > there to be any interest in her centennial?
          >
          > -Dario.
          >
          > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Peter
          > <twilight@> wrote:
          > >
          > > nutsaboutclara wrote:
          > > > Oh dear! I remember that group(LBS) being so active at one
          point
          > > > during the earlier part of the millenia. What a shame, really.
          > > >
          > > > -Dario.
          > > >
          > > My experience is that these groups suffer from a bright spark
          > > occasionally, usually around certain dates.
          > >
          > > I predict a Carole Lombard group suddenly reviving within 6 weeks
          > or so.
          > > (so.... yup its her centenary birthday: 6 october 1908)
          > >
          > > Maybe time for a nice spanning spine set of DVD covers. Hmm...
          lets
          > see.
          > >
          > > Peter

        • Melissa Staats
          Message 4 of 30 , Aug 16, 2008
            Yes she was.
            She was such a great lady.
            Too bad there isn't any good Yahoo groups for her.
            It just makes me want to cry how she died. It was so sad.
            I don't think Clark ever got over her death.
            I think that they were soul mates.

            Message 5 of 30 , Aug 18, 2008
              Clara Bow's husband Rex Bell headed a search party when he spotted a
              dark cloud of smoke in that late January of 1942, and had to break
              the news to his friend Clark Gable. Gable was never the same after
              that, despite the fact that he remarried.

              <johnfan1200@...> wrote:

              > Yes she was.
              > She was such a great lady.
              > Too bad there isn't any good Yahoo groups for her.
              > It just makes me want to cry how she died. It was so sad.
              > I don't think Clark ever got over her death.
              > I think that they were soul mates.
              > Melissa
              >
              > nutsaboutclara <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
              > She was also one of the great beauties in Hollywood
              history,
              > Melissa! Don't forget that!
              >
              > -Dario.
              >
              > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Melissa Staats
              > <johnfan1200@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I adore Carole Lombard.
              > > She's one my most favorites.
              > > Melissa
              > >
              > > nutsaboutclara <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
              > > I wonder if today's film buffs know anything about Carole
              > Lombard for
              > > there to be any interest in her centennial?
              > >
              > > -Dario.
              > >
              > > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Peter
              > > <twilight@> wrote:

              > point

              > > > My experience is that these groups suffer from a bright spark
              > > > occasionally, usually around certain dates.
              > > >
              > > > I predict a Carole Lombard group suddenly reviving within 6
              weeks
              > > or so.
              > > > (so.... yup its her centenary birthday: 6 october 1908)
              > > >
              > > > Maybe time for a nice spanning spine set of DVD covers. Hmm...
              > lets
              > > see.
              > > >
              > > > Peter

            • Melissa Staats
              Message 6 of 30 , Aug 18, 2008
                I bet it was hard to have to tell him.
                Your right Gable was never the same after that.
                As I said before I think that Clark and Carole were soul mates.
                The made a wonderful pair.

                Message 7 of 30 , Aug 20, 2008
                  They were bananas for each other, Melissa. They were two very
                  deeply in-love people.

                  <johnfan1200@...> wrote:

                  > I bet it was hard to have to tell him.
                  > Your right Gable was never the same after that.
                  > As I said before I think that Clark and Carole were soul mates.
                  > The made a wonderful pair.
                  > Melissa
                  >
                  > nutsaboutclara <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                  > Clara Bow's husband Rex Bell headed a search party when
                  he spotted a
                  > dark cloud of smoke in that late January of 1942, and had to break
                  > the news to his friend Clark Gable. Gable was never the same after
                  > that, despite the fact that he remarried.
                  >
                  > -Dario.
                  >
                  > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Melissa Staats
                  > <johnfan1200@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Yes she was.
                  > > She was such a great lady.
                  > > Too bad there isn't any good Yahoo groups for her.
                  > > It just makes me want to cry how she died. It was so sad.
                  > > I don't think Clark ever got over her death.
                  > > I think that they were soul mates.
                  > > Melissa
                  > >
                  > > nutsaboutclara <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                  > > She was also one of the great beauties in Hollywood
                  > history,
                  > > Melissa! Don't forget that!
                  > >
                  > > -Dario.
                  > >
                  > > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Melissa Staats
                  > > <johnfan1200@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > I adore Carole Lombard.
                  > > > She's one my most favorites.
                  > > > Melissa
                  > > >
                  > > > nutsaboutclara <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                  > > > I wonder if today's film buffs know anything about Carole
                  > > Lombard for
                  > > > there to be any interest in her centennial?
                  > > >
                  > > > -Dario.
                  > > >
                  > > > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Peter

                  > > point

                  > weeks
                  > > > or so.

                  Hmm...
                  > > lets
                  > > > see.

                • Melissa Staats
                  Message 8 of 30 , Aug 20, 2008
                    Yes they were.
                    I bet that if she wouldn't have died their marrage would have lasted.

                    Message 9 of 30 , Aug 21, 2008
                      True, very true.

                      <johnfan1200@...> wrote:

                      > Yes they were.
                      > I bet that if she wouldn't have died their marrage would have
                      lasted.
                      > Melissa
                      >
                      > nutsaboutclara <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                      > They were bananas for each other, Melissa. They were two
                      very
                      > deeply in-love people.
                      >
                      > -Dario.
                      >
                      > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Melissa Staats
                      > <johnfan1200@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I bet it was hard to have to tell him.
                      > > Your right Gable was never the same after that.
                      > > As I said before I think that Clark and Carole were soul mates.
                      > > The made a wonderful pair.
                      > > Melissa
                      > >
                      > > nutsaboutclara <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                      > > Clara Bow's husband Rex Bell headed a search party when
                      > he spotted a
                      > > dark cloud of smoke in that late January of 1942, and had to
                      break
                      > > the news to his friend Clark Gable. Gable was never the same
                      after
                      > > that, despite the fact that he remarried.
                      > >
                      > > -Dario.
                      > >
                      > > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Melissa Staats
                      > > <johnfan1200@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Yes she was.
                      > > > She was such a great lady.
                      > > > Too bad there isn't any good Yahoo groups for her.
                      > > > It just makes me want to cry how she died. It was so sad.
                      > > > I don't think Clark ever got over her death.
                      > > > I think that they were soul mates.
                      > > > Melissa
                      > > >
                      > > > nutsaboutclara <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                      > > > She was also one of the great beauties in Hollywood
                      > > history,
                      > > > Melissa! Don't forget that!
                      > > >
                      > > > -Dario.
                      > > >
                      > > > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Melissa
                      Staats

                      > > > Lombard for

                      > > > point
                      > really.

                      > spark

                      > > weeks

                      > Hmm...
                      > > > lets

                    • Peter
                      Message 10 of 30 , Aug 21, 2008
                        nutsaboutclara wrote:
                        > True, very true.
                        >
                        > -Dario.

                        Meanwhile.. back at the Lab :)

                        I may have stirred something up I think. Not a bad thing actually.

                        During the past few days I have been messing around with some photo
                        editing software and the result can now be found at my website.
                        http://thetwilightzone.xs4all.nl/dvdpreviews/index.html

                        I turned it into a proper looking few pages tonight and added some more
                        content.
                        I welcome any input you people might have.

                        Louise Brooks is there and so are Jean Harlow and Carole Lombard.
                        And some others, albeit a nudge more off topic.

                        Peter

                        Message 11 of 30 , Aug 27, 2008
                          Don't you mean, "Meanwhile, back at the BatCave...."

                          Message 12 of 30 , Sep 2, 2008
                            Well we just closed on a hollowed-out volcano fortress on this
                            island in the Pacific that's guarded by sharks with Frikkin™
                            LASER beams attached to their heads...

                            Got a good deal from Crocker Bank when Blofeld defaulted on
                            the mortgage...

                            nutsaboutclara <no_reply@...> wrote:

                            > Don't you mean, "Meanwhile, back at the BatCave...."
                            >
                            > -Dario.
                            >

                            > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Peter
                            > <twilight@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Meanwhile.. back at the Lab :)

                          • Peter
                            Message 13 of 30 , Sep 3, 2008
                              Did that include the white cat as well ?

                              Meanwhile.. I ran into Gods Gift To Women the other day.
                              Haven't seen it yet but its one of her later movies and she's down to
                              supporting roles.

                              Simply ticking off titles here:

                              Out of the 26 listed on the IMDB 2 of them had her scenes deleted.
                              From those 24 I currently have:

                              its the old army game
                              the show off
                              a girl in every port
                              beggars of life
                              the canary murder case
                              tagebuch einer verlorene
                              overland stage raiders
                              gods gift to women
                              die buchse der pandora

                              which leaves out these 15 titles including two uncredited.

                              1. When You're in Love <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0029761/> (1937)
                              (uncredited) .... Chorus Girl
                              2. Empty Saddles <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0027571/> (1936) ....
                              'Boots' Boone
                              3. Who's Who in the Zoo <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0773181/> (1931)
                              4. Windy Riley Goes Hollywood <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0022565/>
                              (1931) .... Betty Grey
                              5. It Pays to Advertise <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0022006/> (1931)
                              .... Thelma Temple
                              6. Prix de beauté (Miss Europe)
                              <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0021273/> (1930) .... Lucienne
                              Garnier <http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0046931/>
                              <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0018737/>
                              7. The City Gone Wild <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0017755/> (1927)
                              .... Snuggles Joy
                              8. Now We're in the Air <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0018211/> (1927)
                              .... Griselle/Grisette
                              9. Rolled Stockings <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0018335/> (1927)
                              .... Carol Fleming <http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0046932/>
                              10. Evening Clothes <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0017856/> (1927) ....
                              Fox Trot
                              11. Just Another Blonde <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0017013/> (1926)
                              .... Diana O'Sullivan
                              12. A Social Celebrity <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0017411/> (1926)
                              .... Kitty Laverne <http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0046933/>
                              13. Love 'Em and Leave 'Em <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0017082/>
                              (1926) .... Janie Walsh
                              14. The American Venus <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0016603/> (1926)
                              .... Miss Bayport
                              15. The Street of Forgotten Men <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0016403/>
                              (1925) (uncredited) .... A moll

                              I'm almost sure Prix is available but what about the others?
                              Anyone seen any of those around?

                              Peter

                              Which might mean I need to update the cover to a 10 or 12 case or make a
                              second one.

                              Message 14 of 30 , Sep 3, 2008
                                I'd seen Gods Gift on TCM a few years back but couldn't make out Brooksie in it.

                                I have the following movies on tape;

                                The Show Off (off air recording from TCM)
                                Beggars of Life (Grapevine edition)
                                Diary of a Lost Girl (Grapevine edition
                                Love 'em & Leave 'em (Grapevine edition)
                                Pandora's Box (Video Dimensions edition)

                                Also have the Hollywood Mysteries & Scandals premiere episode profiling Louise
                                Brooks as well as the TCM Louise Brooks documentary

                                Incedentally there was a syndicated game show in the the 90s called something like
                                'Grudge Match' that featured in its bumpers a show of Louise Brooks slapping some
                                dude. Looked like it might've come from 'A Social Celebrity' though I'm only going
                                from stills since I haven't seen that movie.

                                Might've also spotted similar clip in the intro to show 'Men Behaving Badly'...

                                Also... In the files section is an audio recording of Louise Brooks' commentary about
                                Clara Bow in the documentary series 'Hollywood'.

                              • Melissa Staats
                                Message 15 of 30 , Sep 3, 2008
                                  I've seem it once.
                                  Melissa

                                  olive_e_thomas <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
> [...]

                                  > .... Miss Bayport
                                  > 15. The Street of Forgotten Men <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0016403/>
                                  > (1925) (uncredited) .... A moll
                                  >

                                  > I'm almost sure Prix is available but what about the others?
                                  > Anyone seen any of those around?
                                  >
                                  > Peter
                                  >
                                  > Which might mean I need to update the cover to a 10 or 12 case or make a
                                  > second one.
                                  >

                                  > olive_e_thomas wrote:
                                  > > Well we just closed on a hollowed-out volcano fortress on this
                                  > > island in the Pacific that's guarded by sharks with Frikkin^(TM)
                                  > > LASER beams attached to their heads...
                                  > >
                                  > > Got a good deal from Crocker Bank when Blofeld defaulted on
                                  > > the mortgage...
                                  > >
                                  > > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com,
                                  > > nutsaboutclara <no_reply@> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > >> Don't you mean, "Meanwhile, back at the BatCave...."

                                • Peter
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Sep 3, 2008
                                    olive_e_thomas wrote:
                                    > I'd seen Gods Gift on TCM a few years back but couldn't make out Brooksie in it.

                                    I think she got 5th billing or thereabout. I think I noticed her in the
                                    opening scene even although there were three women in that shot with the
                                    same hairstyle :)

                                    > I have the following movies on tape;
                                    >
                                    > The Show Off (off air recording from TCM)
                                    > Beggars of Life (Grapevine edition)
                                    > Diary of a Lost Girl (Grapevine edition
                                    > Love 'em & Leave 'em (Grapevine edition)
                                    > Pandora's Box (Video Dimensions edition)

                                    Hm I have a couple 100 tapes stored, not sure if there is anything from
                                    her on those actually. Loads of old stuff recorded from tv in the early
                                    80s.

                                    > Also have the Hollywood Mysteries & Scandals premiere episode profiling Louise
                                    > Brooks as well as the TCM Louise Brooks documentary

                                    No never heard of that. Mind you, there is no such thing as TCM here, at
                                    least not anymore.
                                    > Incedentally there was a syndicated game show in the the 90s called something like
                                    > 'Grudge Match' that featured in its bumpers a show of Louise Brooks slapping some
                                    > dude. Looked like it might've come from 'A Social Celebrity' though I'm only going
                                    > from stills since I haven't seen that movie.

                                    I don't know it by heart actually and I don't think we got many american
                                    game shows on tv here.
                                    Lots of other game shows though, most of them mass entertainment
                                    actually, not worth much.
                                    > Also... In the files section is an audio recording of Louise Brooks' commentary about
                                    > Clara Bow in the documentary series 'Hollywood'.

                                    Ah I got that set on vhs. Meant to get it on DVD when it got out but it
                                    had a very short run I heard.
                                    those copyright arguments are the death of silent film if you ask me.
                                    Look what happened to Abel Gance's Napoleon and its two scores.

                                    Message 17 of 30 , Sep 10, 2008
                                      Olive, I heard the film is a real stinker. How bad is it, really?

                                      > I'd seen Gods Gift on TCM a few years back but couldn't make out
                                      Brooksie in it.

                                      > I have the following movies on tape;
                                      >
                                      > The Show Off (off air recording from TCM)
                                      > Beggars of Life (Grapevine edition)
                                      > Diary of a Lost Girl (Grapevine edition
                                      > Love 'em & Leave 'em (Grapevine edition)
                                      > Pandora's Box (Video Dimensions edition)
                                      >
                                      > Also have the Hollywood Mysteries & Scandals premiere episode
                                      profiling Louise
                                      > Brooks as well as the TCM Louise Brooks documentary
                                      >
                                      > Incedentally there was a syndicated game show in the the 90s called
                                      something like
                                      > 'Grudge Match' that featured in its bumpers a show of Louise Brooks
                                      slapping some
                                      > dude. Looked like it might've come from 'A Social Celebrity' though
                                      I'm only going
                                      > from stills since I haven't seen that movie.
                                      >
                                      > Might've also spotted similar clip in the intro to show 'Men
                                      Behaving Badly'...

                                      > Also... In the files section is an audio recording of Louise
                                      Brooks' commentary about
                                      > Clara Bow in the documentary series 'Hollywood'.

                                      .mp3

                                      Message 18 of 30 , Sep 11, 2008
                                        Like Rita Sever* used to say on the old Friday Night Videos
                                        show...

                                        OK, if you're desparate to see a movie...

                                        * http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005411/