Re: [The New Coven of Louise Brooks] Anniversary

    Message 1 of 30 , Aug 15, 2008
      I wonder if today's film buffs know anything about Carole Lombard for
      there to be any interest in her centennial?

      -Dario.

      --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Peter
      <twilight@...> wrote:

      > nutsaboutclara wrote:
      > > Oh dear! I remember that group(LBS) being so active at one point
      > > during the earlier part of the millenia. What a shame, really.
      > >
      > > -Dario.
      > >
      > My experience is that these groups suffer from a bright spark
      > occasionally, usually around certain dates.
      >
      > I predict a Carole Lombard group suddenly reviving within 6 weeks
      or so.
      > (so.... yup its her centenary birthday: 6 october 1908)
      >
      > Maybe time for a nice spanning spine set of DVD covers. Hmm... lets
      see.

      > Peter

    • Melissa Staats
      Message 2 of 30 , Aug 15, 2008
        I adore Carole Lombard.
        She's one my most favorites.
        Melissa

        <twilight@...> wrote:

        > nutsaboutclara wrote:
        > > Oh dear! I remember that group(LBS) being so active at one point
        > > during the earlier part of the millenia. What a shame, really.
        > >
        > > -Dario.
        > >
        > My experience is that these groups suffer from a bright spark
        > occasionally, usually around certain dates.
        >
        > I predict a Carole Lombard group suddenly reviving within 6 weeks
        or so.
        > (so.... yup its her centenary birthday: 6 october 1908)
        >
        > Maybe time for a nice spanning spine set of DVD covers. Hmm... lets
        see.

        > Peter

      • Peter
        Message 3 of 30 , Aug 15, 2008
          nutsaboutclara wrote:
          > I wonder if today's film buffs know anything about Carole Lombard for
          > there to be any interest in her centennial?

          Well probably with the real fans and I suppose with the DVD vendors.
          There is already one 6-dvd pack available for her and with some luck
          they will indeed release a CE set within the near future.
          I have been counting and make it at least 12 DVDs that I have starring CL.
          I made a quick 1st draft preview of the DVD case, you can have a look at
          it over at my place:
          *thetwilight zone.xs4all.nl/dvdpreviews*
          Don't forget to remove the inserted space.
          Its not exactly a full blown web page, just a short file listing so
          don't expect flash animations or stuff like that :)

          Message 4 of 30 , Aug 16, 2008
            Good. It's nice to see Carole being appreciated in this day and age
            with a DVD set in her honor.

            Message 5 of 30 , Aug 16, 2008
              She was also one of the great beauties in Hollywood history,
              Melissa! Don't forget that!

              -Dario.

              --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Melissa Staats
              <johnfan1200@...> wrote:

              > I adore Carole Lombard.
              > She's one my most favorites.
              > Melissa
              >
              > nutsaboutclara <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
              > I wonder if today's film buffs know anything about Carole
              Lombard for
              > there to be any interest in her centennial?
              >
              > -Dario.
              >
              > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Peter
              > <twilight@> wrote:
              > >
              > > nutsaboutclara wrote:
              > > > Oh dear! I remember that group(LBS) being so active at one
              point
              > > > during the earlier part of the millenia. What a shame, really.
              > > >
              > > > -Dario.
              > > >
              > > My experience is that these groups suffer from a bright spark
              > > occasionally, usually around certain dates.
              > >
              > > I predict a Carole Lombard group suddenly reviving within 6 weeks
              > or so.
              > > (so.... yup its her centenary birthday: 6 october 1908)
              > >
              > > Maybe time for a nice spanning spine set of DVD covers. Hmm...
              lets
              > see.
              > >
              > > Peter

            • Melissa Staats
              Message 6 of 30 , Aug 16, 2008
                Yes she was.
                She was such a great lady.
                Too bad there isn't any good Yahoo groups for her.
                It just makes me want to cry how she died. It was so sad.
                I don't think Clark ever got over her death.
                I think that they were soul mates.

                Message 7 of 30 , Aug 18, 2008
                  Clara Bow's husband Rex Bell headed a search party when he spotted a
                  dark cloud of smoke in that late January of 1942, and had to break
                  the news to his friend Clark Gable. Gable was never the same after
                  that, despite the fact that he remarried.

                  <johnfan1200@...> wrote:

                  > Yes she was.
                  > She was such a great lady.
                  > Too bad there isn't any good Yahoo groups for her.
                  > It just makes me want to cry how she died. It was so sad.
                  > I don't think Clark ever got over her death.
                  > I think that they were soul mates.
                  > Melissa
                  >
                  > nutsaboutclara <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                  > She was also one of the great beauties in Hollywood
                  history,
                  > Melissa! Don't forget that!
                  >
                  > -Dario.
                  >
                  > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Melissa Staats
                  > <johnfan1200@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I adore Carole Lombard.
                  > > She's one my most favorites.
                  > > Melissa
                  > >
                  > > nutsaboutclara <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                  > > I wonder if today's film buffs know anything about Carole
                  > Lombard for
                  > > there to be any interest in her centennial?
                  > >
                  > > -Dario.
                  > >
                  > > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Peter
                  > > <twilight@> wrote:

                  > point

                  > > > My experience is that these groups suffer from a bright spark
                  > > > occasionally, usually around certain dates.
                  > > >
                  > > > I predict a Carole Lombard group suddenly reviving within 6
                  weeks
                  > > or so.
                  > > > (so.... yup its her centenary birthday: 6 october 1908)
                  > > >
                  > > > Maybe time for a nice spanning spine set of DVD covers. Hmm...
                  > lets
                  > > see.
                  > > >
                  > > > Peter

                • Melissa Staats
                  Message 8 of 30 , Aug 18, 2008
                    I bet it was hard to have to tell him.
                    Your right Gable was never the same after that.
                    As I said before I think that Clark and Carole were soul mates.
                    The made a wonderful pair.

                    Message 9 of 30 , Aug 20, 2008
                      They were bananas for each other, Melissa. They were two very
                      deeply in-love people.

                      <johnfan1200@...> wrote:

                      > I bet it was hard to have to tell him.
                      > Your right Gable was never the same after that.
                      > As I said before I think that Clark and Carole were soul mates.
                      > The made a wonderful pair.
                      > Melissa
                      >
                      > nutsaboutclara <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                      > Clara Bow's husband Rex Bell headed a search party when
                      he spotted a
                      > dark cloud of smoke in that late January of 1942, and had to break
                      > the news to his friend Clark Gable. Gable was never the same after
                      > that, despite the fact that he remarried.
                      >
                      > -Dario.
                      >
                      > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Melissa Staats
                      > <johnfan1200@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Yes she was.
                      > > She was such a great lady.
                      > > Too bad there isn't any good Yahoo groups for her.
                      > > It just makes me want to cry how she died. It was so sad.
                      > > I don't think Clark ever got over her death.
                      > > I think that they were soul mates.
                      > > Melissa
                      > >
                      > > nutsaboutclara <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                      > > She was also one of the great beauties in Hollywood
                      > history,
                      > > Melissa! Don't forget that!
                      > >
                      > > -Dario.
                      > >
                      > > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Melissa Staats
                      > > <johnfan1200@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > I adore Carole Lombard.
                      > > > She's one my most favorites.
                      > > > Melissa
                      > > >
                      > > > nutsaboutclara <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                      > > > I wonder if today's film buffs know anything about Carole
                      > > Lombard for
                      > > > there to be any interest in her centennial?
                      > > >
                      > > > -Dario.
                      > > >
                      > > > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Peter

                      > > point

                      > weeks
                      > > > or so.

                      Hmm...
                      > > lets
                      > > > see.

                    • Melissa Staats
                      Message 10 of 30 , Aug 20, 2008
                        Yes they were.
                        I bet that if she wouldn't have died their marrage would have lasted.

                        Message 11 of 30 , Aug 21, 2008
                          True, very true.

                          <johnfan1200@...> wrote:

                          > Yes they were.
                          > I bet that if she wouldn't have died their marrage would have
                          lasted.
                          > Melissa
                          >
                          > nutsaboutclara <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                          > They were bananas for each other, Melissa. They were two
                          very
                          > deeply in-love people.
                          >
                          > -Dario.
                          >
                          > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Melissa Staats
                          > <johnfan1200@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > I bet it was hard to have to tell him.
                          > > Your right Gable was never the same after that.
                          > > As I said before I think that Clark and Carole were soul mates.
                          > > The made a wonderful pair.
                          > > Melissa
                          > >
                          > > nutsaboutclara <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                          > > Clara Bow's husband Rex Bell headed a search party when
                          > he spotted a
                          > > dark cloud of smoke in that late January of 1942, and had to
                          break
                          > > the news to his friend Clark Gable. Gable was never the same
                          after
                          > > that, despite the fact that he remarried.
                          > >
                          > > -Dario.
                          > >
                          > > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Melissa Staats
                          > > <johnfan1200@> wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > Yes she was.
                          > > > She was such a great lady.
                          > > > Too bad there isn't any good Yahoo groups for her.
                          > > > It just makes me want to cry how she died. It was so sad.
                          > > > I don't think Clark ever got over her death.
                          > > > I think that they were soul mates.
                          > > > Melissa
                          > > >
                          > > > nutsaboutclara <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                          > > > She was also one of the great beauties in Hollywood
                          > > history,
                          > > > Melissa! Don't forget that!
                          > > >
                          > > > -Dario.
                          > > >
                          > > > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Melissa
                          Staats

                          > > > Lombard for

                          > > > point
                          > really.

                          > spark

                          > > weeks

                          > Hmm...
                          > > > lets

                        • Peter
                          Message 12 of 30 , Aug 21, 2008
                            nutsaboutclara wrote:
                            > True, very true.
                            >
                            > -Dario.

                            Meanwhile.. back at the Lab :)

                            I may have stirred something up I think. Not a bad thing actually.

                            During the past few days I have been messing around with some photo
                            editing software and the result can now be found at my website.
                            http://thetwilightzone.xs4all.nl/dvdpreviews/index.html

                            I turned it into a proper looking few pages tonight and added some more
                            content.
                            I welcome any input you people might have.

                            Louise Brooks is there and so are Jean Harlow and Carole Lombard.
                            And some others, albeit a nudge more off topic.

                            Peter

                            Message 13 of 30 , Aug 27, 2008
                              Don't you mean, "Meanwhile, back at the BatCave...."

                              Message 14 of 30 , Sep 2 6:42 PM
                                Well we just closed on a hollowed-out volcano fortress on this
                                island in the Pacific that's guarded by sharks with Frikkin™
                                LASER beams attached to their heads...

                                Got a good deal from Crocker Bank when Blofeld defaulted on
                                the mortgage...

                                nutsaboutclara <no_reply@...> wrote:

                                > Don't you mean, "Meanwhile, back at the BatCave...."
                                >
                                > -Dario.
                                >

                                > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Peter
                                > <twilight@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Meanwhile.. back at the Lab :)

                              • Peter
                                Message 15 of 30 , Sep 3 8:55 AM
                                  Did that include the white cat as well ?

                                  Meanwhile.. I ran into Gods Gift To Women the other day.
                                  Haven't seen it yet but its one of her later movies and she's down to
                                  supporting roles.

                                  Simply ticking off titles here:

                                  Out of the 26 listed on the IMDB 2 of them had her scenes deleted.
                                  From those 24 I currently have:

                                  its the old army game
                                  the show off
                                  a girl in every port
                                  beggars of life
                                  the canary murder case
                                  tagebuch einer verlorene
                                  overland stage raiders
                                  gods gift to women
                                  die buchse der pandora

                                  which leaves out these 15 titles including two uncredited.

                                  1. When You're in Love <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0029761/> (1937)
                                  (uncredited) .... Chorus Girl
                                  2. Empty Saddles <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0027571/> (1936) ....
                                  'Boots' Boone
                                  3. Who's Who in the Zoo <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0773181/> (1931)
                                  4. Windy Riley Goes Hollywood <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0022565/>
                                  (1931) .... Betty Grey
                                  5. It Pays to Advertise <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0022006/> (1931)
                                  .... Thelma Temple
                                  6. Prix de beauté (Miss Europe)
                                  <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0021273/> (1930) .... Lucienne
                                  Garnier <http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0046931/>
                                  <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0018737/>
                                  7. The City Gone Wild <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0017755/> (1927)
                                  .... Snuggles Joy
                                  8. Now We're in the Air <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0018211/> (1927)
                                  .... Griselle/Grisette
                                  9. Rolled Stockings <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0018335/> (1927)
                                  .... Carol Fleming <http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0046932/>
                                  10. Evening Clothes <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0017856/> (1927) ....
                                  Fox Trot
                                  11. Just Another Blonde <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0017013/> (1926)
                                  .... Diana O'Sullivan
                                  12. A Social Celebrity <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0017411/> (1926)
                                  .... Kitty Laverne <http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0046933/>
                                  13. Love 'Em and Leave 'Em <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0017082/>
                                  (1926) .... Janie Walsh
                                  14. The American Venus <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0016603/> (1926)
                                  .... Miss Bayport
                                  15. The Street of Forgotten Men <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0016403/>
                                  (1925) (uncredited) .... A moll

                                  I'm almost sure Prix is available but what about the others?
                                  Anyone seen any of those around?

                                  Peter

                                  Which might mean I need to update the cover to a 10 or 12 case or make a
                                  second one.

                                  Message 16 of 30 , Sep 3 1:32 PM
                                    I'd seen Gods Gift on TCM a few years back but couldn't make out Brooksie in it.

                                    I have the following movies on tape;

                                    The Show Off (off air recording from TCM)
                                    Beggars of Life (Grapevine edition)
                                    Diary of a Lost Girl (Grapevine edition
                                    Love 'em & Leave 'em (Grapevine edition)
                                    Pandora's Box (Video Dimensions edition)

                                    Also have the Hollywood Mysteries & Scandals premiere episode profiling Louise
                                    Brooks as well as the TCM Louise Brooks documentary

                                    Incedentally there was a syndicated game show in the the 90s called something like
                                    'Grudge Match' that featured in its bumpers a show of Louise Brooks slapping some
                                    dude. Looked like it might've come from 'A Social Celebrity' though I'm only going
                                    from stills since I haven't seen that movie.

                                    Might've also spotted similar clip in the intro to show 'Men Behaving Badly'...

                                    Also... In the files section is an audio recording of Louise Brooks' commentary about
                                    Clara Bow in the documentary series 'Hollywood'.

                                  • Melissa Staats
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Sep 3 2:30 PM
                                      I've seem it once.
                                      Melissa

                                      olive_e_thomas <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
> [...]

                                      > .... Miss Bayport
                                      > 15. The Street of Forgotten Men <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0016403/>
                                      > (1925) (uncredited) .... A moll
                                      >

                                      > I'm almost sure Prix is available but what about the others?
                                      > Anyone seen any of those around?
                                      >
                                      > Peter
                                      >
                                      > Which might mean I need to update the cover to a 10 or 12 case or make a
                                      > second one.
                                      >

                                      > olive_e_thomas wrote:
                                      > > Well we just closed on a hollowed-out volcano fortress on this
                                      > > island in the Pacific that's guarded by sharks with Frikkin^(TM)
                                      > > LASER beams attached to their heads...
                                      > >
                                      > > Got a good deal from Crocker Bank when Blofeld defaulted on
                                      > > the mortgage...
                                      > >
                                      > > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com,
                                      > > nutsaboutclara <no_reply@> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > >> Don't you mean, "Meanwhile, back at the BatCave...."

                                    • Peter
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Sep 3 3:46 PM
                                        olive_e_thomas wrote:
                                        > I'd seen Gods Gift on TCM a few years back but couldn't make out Brooksie in it.

                                        I think she got 5th billing or thereabout. I think I noticed her in the
                                        opening scene even although there were three women in that shot with the
                                        same hairstyle :)

                                        > I have the following movies on tape;
                                        >
                                        > The Show Off (off air recording from TCM)
                                        > Beggars of Life (Grapevine edition)
                                        > Diary of a Lost Girl (Grapevine edition
                                        > Love 'em & Leave 'em (Grapevine edition)
                                        > Pandora's Box (Video Dimensions edition)

                                        Hm I have a couple 100 tapes stored, not sure if there is anything from
                                        her on those actually. Loads of old stuff recorded from tv in the early
                                        80s.

                                        > Also have the Hollywood Mysteries & Scandals premiere episode profiling Louise
                                        > Brooks as well as the TCM Louise Brooks documentary

                                        No never heard of that. Mind you, there is no such thing as TCM here, at
                                        least not anymore.
                                        > Incedentally there was a syndicated game show in the the 90s called something like
                                        > 'Grudge Match' that featured in its bumpers a show of Louise Brooks slapping some
                                        > dude. Looked like it might've come from 'A Social Celebrity' though I'm only going
                                        > from stills since I haven't seen that movie.

                                        I don't know it by heart actually and I don't think we got many american
                                        game shows on tv here.
                                        Lots of other game shows though, most of them mass entertainment
                                        actually, not worth much.
                                        > Also... In the files section is an audio recording of Louise Brooks' commentary about
                                        > Clara Bow in the documentary series 'Hollywood'.

                                        Ah I got that set on vhs. Meant to get it on DVD when it got out but it
                                        had a very short run I heard.
                                        those copyright arguments are the death of silent film if you ask me.
                                        Look what happened to Abel Gance's Napoleon and its two scores.

                                        Message 19 of 30 , Sep 10 10:24 AM
                                          Olive, I heard the film is a real stinker. How bad is it, really?

                                          > I'd seen Gods Gift on TCM a few years back but couldn't make out
                                          Brooksie in it.

                                          > I have the following movies on tape;
                                          >
                                          > The Show Off (off air recording from TCM)
                                          > Beggars of Life (Grapevine edition)
                                          > Diary of a Lost Girl (Grapevine edition
                                          > Love 'em & Leave 'em (Grapevine edition)
                                          > Pandora's Box (Video Dimensions edition)
                                          >
                                          > Also have the Hollywood Mysteries & Scandals premiere episode
                                          profiling Louise
                                          > Brooks as well as the TCM Louise Brooks documentary
                                          >
                                          > Incedentally there was a syndicated game show in the the 90s called
                                          something like
                                          > 'Grudge Match' that featured in its bumpers a show of Louise Brooks
                                          slapping some
                                          > dude. Looked like it might've come from 'A Social Celebrity' though
                                          I'm only going
                                          > from stills since I haven't seen that movie.
                                          >
                                          > Might've also spotted similar clip in the intro to show 'Men
                                          Behaving Badly'...

                                          > Also... In the files section is an audio recording of Louise
                                          Brooks' commentary about
                                          > Clara Bow in the documentary series 'Hollywood'.

                                          .mp3

                                          Message 20 of 30 , Sep 11 1:47 AM
                                            Like Rita Sever* used to say on the old Friday Night Videos
                                            show...

                                            OK, if you're desparate to see a movie...

                                            * http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005411/