Re: [The New Coven of Louise Brooks] Anniversary

  • Peter
    Message 1 of 30 , Aug 13, 2008
      nutsaboutclara wrote:
      > Oh dear! I remember that group(LBS) being so active at one point
      > during the earlier part of the millenia. What a shame, really.
      >
      > -Dario.

      My experience is that these groups suffer from a bright spark
      occasionally, usually around certain dates.

      I predict a Carole Lombard group suddenly reviving within 6 weeks or so.
      (so.... yup its her centenary birthday: 6 october 1908)

      Maybe time for a nice spanning spine set of DVD covers. Hmm... lets see.

      Peter
      Message 2 of 30 , Aug 13, 2008
        There was a nice surge of activity at our sister 'Coven' dedicated
        to Ziegfeld follies and early flim star Olive Thomas when a DVD
        of one of her last films came out and when her biography was
        finally published.

        --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Peter

        Message 3 of 30 , Aug 15, 2008
          I wonder if today's film buffs know anything about Carole Lombard for
          there to be any interest in her centennial?

          -Dario.

          <twilight@...> wrote:

          > nutsaboutclara wrote:
          > > Oh dear! I remember that group(LBS) being so active at one point
          > > during the earlier part of the millenia. What a shame, really.
          > >
          > > -Dario.
          > >
          > My experience is that these groups suffer from a bright spark
          > occasionally, usually around certain dates.
          >
          > I predict a Carole Lombard group suddenly reviving within 6 weeks
          or so.
          > (so.... yup its her centenary birthday: 6 october 1908)
          >
          > Maybe time for a nice spanning spine set of DVD covers. Hmm... lets
          see.

          > Peter

        • Melissa Staats
          Message 4 of 30 , Aug 15, 2008
            I adore Carole Lombard.
            She's one my most favorites.
            Melissa

            <twilight@...> wrote:

            > nutsaboutclara wrote:
            > > Oh dear! I remember that group(LBS) being so active at one point
            > > during the earlier part of the millenia. What a shame, really.
            > >
            > > -Dario.
            > >
            > My experience is that these groups suffer from a bright spark
            > occasionally, usually around certain dates.
            >
            > I predict a Carole Lombard group suddenly reviving within 6 weeks
            or so.
            > (so.... yup its her centenary birthday: 6 october 1908)
            >
            > Maybe time for a nice spanning spine set of DVD covers. Hmm... lets
            see.

            > Peter

          • Peter
            Message 5 of 30 , Aug 15, 2008
              nutsaboutclara wrote:
              > I wonder if today's film buffs know anything about Carole Lombard for
              > there to be any interest in her centennial?

              Well probably with the real fans and I suppose with the DVD vendors.
              There is already one 6-dvd pack available for her and with some luck
              they will indeed release a CE set within the near future.
              I have been counting and make it at least 12 DVDs that I have starring CL.
              I made a quick 1st draft preview of the DVD case, you can have a look at
              it over at my place:
              *thetwilight zone.xs4all.nl/dvdpreviews*
              Don't forget to remove the inserted space.
              Its not exactly a full blown web page, just a short file listing so
              don't expect flash animations or stuff like that :)

              Message 6 of 30 , Aug 16, 2008
                Good. It's nice to see Carole being appreciated in this day and age
                with a DVD set in her honor.

                -Dario.

                Message 7 of 30 , Aug 16, 2008
                  She was also one of the great beauties in Hollywood history,
                  Melissa! Don't forget that!

                  -Dario.

                  --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Melissa Staats
                  <johnfan1200@...> wrote:

                  > I adore Carole Lombard.
                  > She's one my most favorites.
                  > Melissa
                  >
                  > nutsaboutclara <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                  > I wonder if today's film buffs know anything about Carole
                  Lombard for
                  > there to be any interest in her centennial?
                  >
                  > -Dario.
                  >
                  > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Peter
                  > <twilight@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > nutsaboutclara wrote:
                  > > > Oh dear! I remember that group(LBS) being so active at one
                  point
                  > > > during the earlier part of the millenia. What a shame, really.
                  > > >
                  > > > -Dario.
                  > > >
                  > > My experience is that these groups suffer from a bright spark
                  > > occasionally, usually around certain dates.
                  > >
                  > > I predict a Carole Lombard group suddenly reviving within 6 weeks
                  > or so.
                  > > (so.... yup its her centenary birthday: 6 october 1908)
                  > >
                  > > Maybe time for a nice spanning spine set of DVD covers. Hmm...
                  lets
                  > see.
                  > >
                  > > Peter

                • Melissa Staats
                  Message 8 of 30 , Aug 16, 2008
                    Yes she was.
                    She was such a great lady.
                    Too bad there isn't any good Yahoo groups for her.
                    It just makes me want to cry how she died. It was so sad.
                    I don't think Clark ever got over her death.
                    I think that they were soul mates.

                    Message 9 of 30 , Aug 18, 2008
                      Clara Bow's husband Rex Bell headed a search party when he spotted a
                      dark cloud of smoke in that late January of 1942, and had to break
                      the news to his friend Clark Gable. Gable was never the same after
                      that, despite the fact that he remarried.

                      <johnfan1200@...> wrote:

                      > Yes she was.
                      > She was such a great lady.
                      > Too bad there isn't any good Yahoo groups for her.
                      > It just makes me want to cry how she died. It was so sad.
                      > I don't think Clark ever got over her death.
                      > I think that they were soul mates.
                      > Melissa
                      >
                      > nutsaboutclara <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                      > She was also one of the great beauties in Hollywood
                      history,
                      > Melissa! Don't forget that!
                      >
                      > -Dario.
                      >
                      > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Melissa Staats
                      > <johnfan1200@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I adore Carole Lombard.
                      > > She's one my most favorites.
                      > > Melissa
                      > >
                      > > nutsaboutclara <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                      > > I wonder if today's film buffs know anything about Carole
                      > Lombard for
                      > > there to be any interest in her centennial?
                      > >
                      > > -Dario.
                      > >
                      > > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Peter
                      > > <twilight@> wrote:

                      > point

                      > > > My experience is that these groups suffer from a bright spark
                      > > > occasionally, usually around certain dates.
                      > > >
                      > > > I predict a Carole Lombard group suddenly reviving within 6
                      weeks
                      > > or so.
                      > > > (so.... yup its her centenary birthday: 6 october 1908)
                      > > >
                      > > > Maybe time for a nice spanning spine set of DVD covers. Hmm...
                      > lets
                      > > see.
                      > > >
                      > > > Peter

                    • Melissa Staats
                      Message 10 of 30 , Aug 18, 2008
                        I bet it was hard to have to tell him.
                        Your right Gable was never the same after that.
                        As I said before I think that Clark and Carole were soul mates.
                        The made a wonderful pair.

                        Message 11 of 30 , Aug 20, 2008
                          They were bananas for each other, Melissa. They were two very
                          deeply in-love people.

                          <johnfan1200@...> wrote:

                          > I bet it was hard to have to tell him.
                          > Your right Gable was never the same after that.
                          > As I said before I think that Clark and Carole were soul mates.
                          > The made a wonderful pair.
                          > Melissa
                          >
                          > nutsaboutclara <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                          > Clara Bow's husband Rex Bell headed a search party when
                          he spotted a
                          > dark cloud of smoke in that late January of 1942, and had to break
                          > the news to his friend Clark Gable. Gable was never the same after
                          > that, despite the fact that he remarried.
                          >
                          > -Dario.
                          >
                          > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Melissa Staats
                          > <johnfan1200@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Yes she was.
                          > > She was such a great lady.
                          > > Too bad there isn't any good Yahoo groups for her.
                          > > It just makes me want to cry how she died. It was so sad.
                          > > I don't think Clark ever got over her death.
                          > > I think that they were soul mates.
                          > > Melissa
                          > >
                          > > nutsaboutclara <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                          > > She was also one of the great beauties in Hollywood
                          > history,
                          > > Melissa! Don't forget that!
                          > >
                          > > -Dario.
                          > >
                          > > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Melissa Staats
                          > > <johnfan1200@> wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > I adore Carole Lombard.
                          > > > She's one my most favorites.
                          > > > Melissa
                          > > >
                          > > > nutsaboutclara <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                          > > > I wonder if today's film buffs know anything about Carole
                          > > Lombard for
                          > > > there to be any interest in her centennial?
                          > > >
                          > > > -Dario.
                          > > >
                          > > > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Peter

                          > > point

                          > weeks
                          > > > or so.

                          Hmm...
                          > > lets
                          > > > see.

                        • Melissa Staats
                          Message 12 of 30 , Aug 20, 2008
                            Yes they were.
                            I bet that if she wouldn't have died their marrage would have lasted.

                            Message 13 of 30 , Aug 21, 2008
                              True, very true.

                              <johnfan1200@...> wrote:

                              > Yes they were.
                              > I bet that if she wouldn't have died their marrage would have
                              lasted.
                              > Melissa
                              >
                              > nutsaboutclara <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                              > They were bananas for each other, Melissa. They were two
                              very
                              > deeply in-love people.
                              >
                              > -Dario.
                              >
                              > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Melissa Staats
                              > <johnfan1200@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > I bet it was hard to have to tell him.
                              > > Your right Gable was never the same after that.
                              > > As I said before I think that Clark and Carole were soul mates.
                              > > The made a wonderful pair.
                              > > Melissa
                              > >
                              > > nutsaboutclara <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                              > > Clara Bow's husband Rex Bell headed a search party when
                              > he spotted a
                              > > dark cloud of smoke in that late January of 1942, and had to
                              break
                              > > the news to his friend Clark Gable. Gable was never the same
                              after
                              > > that, despite the fact that he remarried.
                              > >
                              > > -Dario.
                              > >
                              > > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Melissa Staats
                              > > <johnfan1200@> wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > Yes she was.
                              > > > She was such a great lady.
                              > > > Too bad there isn't any good Yahoo groups for her.
                              > > > It just makes me want to cry how she died. It was so sad.
                              > > > I don't think Clark ever got over her death.
                              > > > I think that they were soul mates.
                              > > > Melissa
                              > > >
                              > > > nutsaboutclara <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                              > > > She was also one of the great beauties in Hollywood
                              > > history,
                              > > > Melissa! Don't forget that!
                              > > >
                              > > > -Dario.
                              > > >
                              > > > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Melissa
                              Staats

                              > > > Lombard for

                              > > > point
                              > really.

                              > spark

                              > > weeks

                              > Hmm...
                              > > > lets

                            • Peter
                              Message 14 of 30 , Aug 21, 2008
                                nutsaboutclara wrote:
                                > True, very true.
                                >
                                > -Dario.

                                Meanwhile.. back at the Lab :)

                                I may have stirred something up I think. Not a bad thing actually.

                                During the past few days I have been messing around with some photo
                                editing software and the result can now be found at my website.
                                http://thetwilightzone.xs4all.nl/dvdpreviews/index.html

                                I turned it into a proper looking few pages tonight and added some more
                                content.
                                I welcome any input you people might have.

                                Louise Brooks is there and so are Jean Harlow and Carole Lombard.
                                And some others, albeit a nudge more off topic.

                                Peter

                                Message 15 of 30 , Aug 27, 2008
                                  Don't you mean, "Meanwhile, back at the BatCave...."

                                  -Dario.

                                  Message 16 of 30 , Sep 2, 2008
                                    Well we just closed on a hollowed-out volcano fortress on this
                                    island in the Pacific that's guarded by sharks with Frikkin™
                                    LASER beams attached to their heads...

                                    Got a good deal from Crocker Bank when Blofeld defaulted on
                                    the mortgage...

                                    nutsaboutclara <no_reply@...> wrote:

                                    > Don't you mean, "Meanwhile, back at the BatCave...."
                                    >
                                    > -Dario.
                                    >

                                    > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Peter
                                    > <twilight@> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > Meanwhile.. back at the Lab :)

                                  • Peter
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Sep 3, 2008
                                      Did that include the white cat as well ?

                                      Meanwhile.. I ran into Gods Gift To Women the other day.
                                      Haven't seen it yet but its one of her later movies and she's down to
                                      supporting roles.

                                      Simply ticking off titles here:

                                      Out of the 26 listed on the IMDB 2 of them had her scenes deleted.
                                      From those 24 I currently have:

                                      its the old army game
                                      the show off
                                      a girl in every port
                                      beggars of life
                                      the canary murder case
                                      tagebuch einer verlorene
                                      overland stage raiders
                                      gods gift to women
                                      die buchse der pandora

                                      which leaves out these 15 titles including two uncredited.

                                      1. When You're in Love <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0029761/> (1937)
                                      (uncredited) .... Chorus Girl
                                      2. Empty Saddles <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0027571/> (1936) ....
                                      'Boots' Boone
                                      3. Who's Who in the Zoo <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0773181/> (1931)
                                      4. Windy Riley Goes Hollywood <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0022565/>
                                      (1931) .... Betty Grey
                                      5. It Pays to Advertise <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0022006/> (1931)
                                      .... Thelma Temple
                                      6. Prix de beauté (Miss Europe)
                                      <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0021273/> (1930) .... Lucienne
                                      Garnier <http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0046931/>
                                      <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0018737/>
                                      7. The City Gone Wild <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0017755/> (1927)
                                      .... Snuggles Joy
                                      8. Now We're in the Air <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0018211/> (1927)
                                      .... Griselle/Grisette
                                      9. Rolled Stockings <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0018335/> (1927)
                                      .... Carol Fleming <http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0046932/>
                                      10. Evening Clothes <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0017856/> (1927) ....
                                      Fox Trot
                                      11. Just Another Blonde <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0017013/> (1926)
                                      .... Diana O'Sullivan
                                      12. A Social Celebrity <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0017411/> (1926)
                                      .... Kitty Laverne <http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0046933/>
                                      13. Love 'Em and Leave 'Em <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0017082/>
                                      (1926) .... Janie Walsh
                                      14. The American Venus <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0016603/> (1926)
                                      .... Miss Bayport
                                      15. The Street of Forgotten Men <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0016403/>
                                      (1925) (uncredited) .... A moll

                                      I'm almost sure Prix is available but what about the others?
                                      Anyone seen any of those around?

                                      Peter

                                      Which might mean I need to update the cover to a 10 or 12 case or make a
                                      second one.

                                      Message 18 of 30 , Sep 3, 2008
                                        I'd seen Gods Gift on TCM a few years back but couldn't make out Brooksie in it.

                                        I have the following movies on tape;

                                        The Show Off (off air recording from TCM)
                                        Beggars of Life (Grapevine edition)
                                        Diary of a Lost Girl (Grapevine edition
                                        Love 'em & Leave 'em (Grapevine edition)
                                        Pandora's Box (Video Dimensions edition)

                                        Also have the Hollywood Mysteries & Scandals premiere episode profiling Louise
                                        Brooks as well as the TCM Louise Brooks documentary

                                        Incedentally there was a syndicated game show in the the 90s called something like
                                        'Grudge Match' that featured in its bumpers a show of Louise Brooks slapping some
                                        dude. Looked like it might've come from 'A Social Celebrity' though I'm only going
                                        from stills since I haven't seen that movie.

                                        Might've also spotted similar clip in the intro to show 'Men Behaving Badly'...

                                        Also... In the files section is an audio recording of Louise Brooks' commentary about
                                        Clara Bow in the documentary series 'Hollywood'.

                                      • Melissa Staats
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Sep 3, 2008
                                          I've seem it once.
                                          Melissa

                                          olive_e_thomas <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
> [...]

                                          > .... Miss Bayport
                                          > 15. The Street of Forgotten Men <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0016403/>
                                          > (1925) (uncredited) .... A moll
                                          >

                                          > I'm almost sure Prix is available but what about the others?
                                          > Anyone seen any of those around?
                                          >
                                          > Peter
                                          >
                                          > Which might mean I need to update the cover to a 10 or 12 case or make a
                                          > second one.
                                          >

                                          > olive_e_thomas wrote:
                                          > > Well we just closed on a hollowed-out volcano fortress on this
                                          > > island in the Pacific that's guarded by sharks with Frikkin^(TM)
                                          > > LASER beams attached to their heads...
                                          > >
                                          > > Got a good deal from Crocker Bank when Blofeld defaulted on
                                          > > the mortgage...
                                          > >
                                          > > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com,
                                          > > nutsaboutclara <no_reply@> wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > >> Don't you mean, "Meanwhile, back at the BatCave...."

                                        • Peter
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Sep 3, 2008
                                            olive_e_thomas wrote:
                                            > I'd seen Gods Gift on TCM a few years back but couldn't make out Brooksie in it.

                                            I think she got 5th billing or thereabout. I think I noticed her in the
                                            opening scene even although there were three women in that shot with the
                                            same hairstyle :)

                                            > I have the following movies on tape;
                                            >
                                            > The Show Off (off air recording from TCM)
                                            > Beggars of Life (Grapevine edition)
                                            > Diary of a Lost Girl (Grapevine edition
                                            > Love 'em & Leave 'em (Grapevine edition)
                                            > Pandora's Box (Video Dimensions edition)

                                            Hm I have a couple 100 tapes stored, not sure if there is anything from
                                            her on those actually. Loads of old stuff recorded from tv in the early
                                            80s.

                                            > Also have the Hollywood Mysteries & Scandals premiere episode profiling Louise
                                            > Brooks as well as the TCM Louise Brooks documentary

                                            No never heard of that. Mind you, there is no such thing as TCM here, at
                                            least not anymore.
                                            > Incedentally there was a syndicated game show in the the 90s called something like
                                            > 'Grudge Match' that featured in its bumpers a show of Louise Brooks slapping some
                                            > dude. Looked like it might've come from 'A Social Celebrity' though I'm only going
                                            > from stills since I haven't seen that movie.

                                            I don't know it by heart actually and I don't think we got many american
                                            game shows on tv here.
                                            Lots of other game shows though, most of them mass entertainment
                                            actually, not worth much.
                                            > Also... In the files section is an audio recording of Louise Brooks' commentary about
                                            > Clara Bow in the documentary series 'Hollywood'.

                                            Ah I got that set on vhs. Meant to get it on DVD when it got out but it
                                            had a very short run I heard.
                                            those copyright arguments are the death of silent film if you ask me.
                                            Look what happened to Abel Gance's Napoleon and its two scores.

                                            Message 21 of 30 , Sep 10, 2008
                                              Olive, I heard the film is a real stinker. How bad is it, really?

                                              > I'd seen Gods Gift on TCM a few years back but couldn't make out
                                              Brooksie in it.

                                              > I have the following movies on tape;
                                              >
                                              > The Show Off (off air recording from TCM)
                                              > Beggars of Life (Grapevine edition)
                                              > Diary of a Lost Girl (Grapevine edition
                                              > Love 'em & Leave 'em (Grapevine edition)
                                              > Pandora's Box (Video Dimensions edition)
                                              >
                                              > Also have the Hollywood Mysteries & Scandals premiere episode
                                              profiling Louise
                                              > Brooks as well as the TCM Louise Brooks documentary
                                              >
                                              > Incedentally there was a syndicated game show in the the 90s called
                                              something like
                                              > 'Grudge Match' that featured in its bumpers a show of Louise Brooks
                                              slapping some
                                              > dude. Looked like it might've come from 'A Social Celebrity' though
                                              I'm only going
                                              > from stills since I haven't seen that movie.
                                              >
                                              > Might've also spotted similar clip in the intro to show 'Men
                                              Behaving Badly'...

                                              > Also... In the files section is an audio recording of Louise
                                              Brooks' commentary about
                                              > Clara Bow in the documentary series 'Hollywood'.

                                              .mp3

                                              Message 22 of 30 , Sep 11, 2008
                                                Like Rita Sever* used to say on the old Friday Night Videos
                                                show...

                                                OK, if you're desparate to see a movie...

                                                * http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005411/